Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • TomCoventry
    • By TomCoventry 12th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Divorce question regarding who pays what.
    • #1
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    Divorce question regarding who pays what. 12th Apr 18 at 11:41 AM
    Getting divorced. Have been separated for two years. I have continued to live alone in the joint mortgaged home and paid the full mortgage monthly payments. Soon to be ex wife has lived in rented accomodation with her new partner.

    As example, our mortgage payment is 600 per month and I have paid the full 600 per month for last two years to keep up the mortgage.
    Spouse's rent is 500 per month and she has paid 250 per month for her half of rent and her new partner has paid the other 250 per month.

    Now it's time for the financial settlement and I'm asking to be reimbursed for the 300 a month that I have paid on her behalf to maintain the mortgage. But she's saying that her solicitor is saying that I owe for half of her rent, i.e. 250 per month. Surely I would only be liable , if at all, for half of her payment, that is, 125.
Page 1
    • MortgageMamma
    • By MortgageMamma 12th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 6,196 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    What does your solicitor say? I don't usually have involvement in divorce settlements and this is more a law question than a mortgage one.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email
    • tlc678910
    • By tlc678910 12th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    The "rent" I think the solicitor is referring to is rent from you because you are living in a house your partner half owns. Imagine neither of you lived there you might rent out your house for 600. So the solicitor is saying your partner should pay 300 mortgage and that is equal to the 300 she will charge you for living in her half of the house making you quits. That's their argument I would think.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,741Posts Today

8,083Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

  • RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

  • RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

  • Follow Martin