Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TomCoventry
    • By TomCoventry 12th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TomCoventry
    Divorce question regarding who pays what.
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    Divorce question regarding who pays what. 12th Apr 18 at 11:41 AM
    Getting divorced. Have been separated for two years. I have continued to live alone in the joint mortgaged home and paid the full mortgage monthly payments. Soon to be ex wife has lived in rented accomodation with her new partner.

As example, our mortgage payment is £600 per month and I have paid the full £600 per month for last two years to keep up the mortgage.
    Spouse's rent is £500 per month and she has paid £250 per month for her half of rent and her new partner has paid the other £250 per month.

Now it's time for the financial settlement and I'm asking to be reimbursed for the £300 a month that I have paid on her behalf to maintain the mortgage. But she's saying that her solicitor is saying that I owe for half of her rent, i.e. £250 per month. Surely I would only be liable , if at all, for half of her payment, that is, £125.
Page 1
    • MortgageMamma
    • By MortgageMamma 12th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 6,194 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    MortgageMamma
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    What does your solicitor say? I don't usually have involvement in divorce settlements and this is more a law question than a mortgage one.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • tlc678910
    • By tlc678910 12th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    tlc678910
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    The "rent" I think the solicitor is referring to is rent from you because you are living in a house your partner half owns. Imagine neither of you lived there you might rent out your house for £600. So the solicitor is saying your partner should pay £300 mortgage and that is equal to the £300 she will charge you for living in her half of the house making you quits. That's their argument I would think.
    Tlc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

765Posts Today

6,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin