Divorce question regarding who pays what.

Options
Getting divorced. Have been separated for two years. I have continued to live alone in the joint mortgaged home and paid the full mortgage monthly payments. Soon to be ex wife has lived in rented accomodation with her new partner.

As example, our mortgage payment is £600 per month and I have paid the full £600 per month for last two years to keep up the mortgage.
Spouse's rent is £500 per month and she has paid £250 per month for her half of rent and her new partner has paid the other £250 per month.

Now it's time for the financial settlement and I'm asking to be reimbursed for the £300 a month that I have paid on her behalf to maintain the mortgage. But she's saying that her solicitor is saying that I owe for half of her rent, i.e. £250 per month. Surely I would only be liable , if at all, for half of her payment, that is, £125.

Comments

• MortgageMamma
    MortgageMamma Posts: 6,686 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What does your solicitor say? I don't usually have involvement in divorce settlements and this is more a law question than a mortgage one.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The "rent" I think the solicitor is referring to is rent from you because you are living in a house your partner half owns. Imagine neither of you lived there you might rent out your house for £600. So the solicitor is saying your partner should pay £300 mortgage and that is equal to the £300 she will charge you for living in her half of the house making you quits. That's their argument I would think.
    Tlc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport