Exchange and completion dates

Options
Wonder if anyone can offer advice so I am not barking up the wrong tree with my solicitor and buyer of our home.

We have just received word from our solicitor that our contract fir the sale of our house have been sent out last night so should be with us to sign this week and back with them by Monday from our side anyway. We have also been advised the buyer is looking at a completion date of the 27th April so just over 2 weeks away.

It is my impression the exchange of contracts should happen as soon as it can and not be left to just happen with completion unless the completion date is being moved forward to coincide with the exchange date.

There is a soecific reason as to why it would benefit us greatly if the exchange of contracts happened next week but I am afraid the solicitors will just think as completion date is only 2 weeks away they will leave it all for the completion date. My other view is even though 2 weeks is not long it is still a furher 2 weeks where no one is bound to complete on the transaction yet and to benefit everyone exchange should be done ASAP regardless of the complete date.

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Solicitors will exchange contracts when they have;-

all the documentation back and it is acceptable
    a completion date is agreed between all parties
    you have given them permission.

Don't expect exchange of contracts to take place if one or more remain outstanding.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You should be advising your solicitor how long you want between exchange and completion, it's not something that should be left to chance and usually isn't, since ut woudl be quite rare and also very risky to have them on the same day. Most people want several days gap at least as it give some time to arrange moving etc.
    . Rather than expecting your solicitor to be psychic about exchange date and gap between exchange and completion , tell them what you want.
  • firstbuyer
    firstbuyer Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hey noobie2011 - does this mean you have got an offer through from Natwest now?!
    Finally completed on our new home
    Cladding Scandal Activist
  • Noobie2011
    Noobie2011 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    Solicitors will exchange contracts when they have;-

all the documentation back and it is acceptable
    a completion date is agreed between all parties
    you have given them permission.

Don't expect exchange of contracts to take place if one or more remain outstanding.

Thanks for this,

From the above it makes sense now the email they sent and I have given permission on the completion date they stated, contract signed will be back with them friday if we receive tomorrow so all looks like it is in hand and they are looking to exchange as soon as the above is done with all parties being 3 in this instance.
  • Noobie2011
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    You should be advising your solicitor how long you want between exchange and completion, it's not something that should be left to chance and usually isn't, since ut woudl be quite rare and also very risky to have them on the same day. Most people want several days gap at least as it give some time to arrange moving etc.
    . Rather than expecting your solicitor to be psychic about exchange date and gap between exchange and completion , tell them what you want.

Glad to know it is rare to exchange and complete on the same day and from what others have said it now seems logical that at least 2 weeks are given in between both.

I have already advised my solicitor of the dates we would be looking at so do not think they are physic but for people who have never sold a house before a lot of these things are not obvious as my experience with solicitors is they are not very good at explaining how things will work upfront but maybe I have just had a bad bunch !!!128514;
  • Noobie2011
    Options
    firstbuyer wrote: »
    Hey noobie2011 - does this mean you have got an offer through from Natwest now?!

No not yet as we are selling anyway and moving in with family intil we sort the new house so we do not have the sale still hanging over our heads.

To update though our broker has advised the applocation is in process but even if everything passes they cannot make me an offer until I provide them with my 1st payslip which is ended of april so still a bit of a waiting game
  • firstbuyer
    firstbuyer Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not too long of a wait! We had our offer from Natwest last friday! Just under 3 weeks including a bank hols & them f*cking up the application! Good luck :)
    Finally completed on our new home
    Cladding Scandal Activist
  • Noobie2011
    Options
    firstbuyer wrote: »
    Not too long of a wait! We had our offer from Natwest last friday! Just under 3 weeks including a bank hols & them f*cking up the application! Good luck :)

Nice one, the valuer has been booked last week to go out on the 26th april which apparently Natwest do straight away to speed the process up but 2 weeks to wait so someone can literally drive by the property as that is mainly what they do with New Build.

Also only have to wait another week and get my 1st payslip so reckon we will be getting a decision within 2 weeks now and fingers crossed it is an offer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure