Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Apr 18, 2:19 AM
    • 1,402Posts
    • 13,774Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Wednesday 11th April 2018
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:19 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 11th April 2018 11th Apr 18 at 2:19 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Apr 18, 2:38 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 13,774 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:38 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:38 AM
    I am awake even earlier today. I seem to have excelled as a member of our wide awake club today

Happy Birthday Dumpling. Enjoy your coffee and cake out.

TA I am pleased that Mr TA is recovering from his op.
    Cranky I was so sorry to read about your dad. I find it so awful when the family gets overruled in situations such as yours. It is the family who know what the person would have wanted prior to losing capacity and I donít think that the families views are considered enough.
    Judi Iím sorry that you are not having a very good time at the moment, I hope that things soon improve for you.

I am certainly not going to let it go without some sort of complaint/action. I have today put in a request for my medical records, so at least I can see what they have been thinking for the past year. Iíve decided to wait until I see my own GP next week before I decide exactly what I am going to do about it, but at the moment nothing is off the table, and Iím certainly not standing for this. I want to wait and talk to him because he may have some suggestions. Meanwhile I am going to see the other GP who knows me on Thursday. They have given me an emergency slot. It would appear that at least the surgery are on the ball, and have me down as needing to be seen as an emergency at the moment if I contact them.

It has made me feel quite low again now though, and I was doing really well. It feels like I went through it all for nothing. I still feel that I need help and support. If I felt I could manage without it I would have been asked to be discharged from their services a long while ago. I certainly donít like the fact that I need help from secondary mental health services; it isnít something I want to have a need for. I certainly didnít expect to be discharged so soon after coming out of hospital, and didnít realise that consultant psychiatrists now only see patients who are not suicidal because of the Ďriskí . It comes across as if my now ex psychiatrist lacks confidence, experience and knowledge and that a complex case is beyond his abilities. If that is the case, then he shouldn't be in a post as a consultant psychiatrist.

Anyhow I am going to try and carry on as I was, and hope to go for a walk today, and will stop somewhere for a coffee. I donít know what I will have for dinner, but probably a home-made RM. The bathroom hasnít had a deep clean since I have been home so will aim to get that done today as well. But I am taking the attitude that if it doesnít get done it doesnít matter.

Anyhow, have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 11th Apr 18, 5:00 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 19,213 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:00 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:00 AM
    Good morning everyone

Hi Holly, thanks for starting us off, I hope you managed to get a bit more sleep and thank you for the birthday wishes .

I managed to sleep until 2ish and then came downstairs to find a lovely stack of cards on my desk. I held off from opening them until just now but I have had some lovely cards and lots of cash from my family so I can go shopping. I have some gifts from the girls but I will wait to open those once they get up so I can thank them properly.

I have my friend coming over to see me this morning so that will be fab and then I am off with my lovely cmht lady for a cuppa and some cake so I am just waiting for Steve to wake up before I get washed and dressed ready for the day ahead.

We are having pizza for tea by popular request so at least I don't have to do any cooking apart from bunging them in the oven. Phoebe is going to make me a cake later as well so that is dessert sorted.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• Judi
    • By Judi 11th Apr 18, 5:03 AM
    • 16,007 Posts
    • 69,122 Thanks
    Judi
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:03 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:03 AM
    Morning Holly and all,

Holly whilst I understand the need for you to not let this go, I would feel better if someone else was fighting your corner. Emotionally your very vulnerable right now and I worry you might be taking on a little too much for you to cope with. Maybe an external organisation such as MIND could help. I'm not sure as what else to suggest but your state of mind is paramount.

Early start for me. Blackun has disgraced herself all over my living room carpet. I've cleaned it up as much as I can but the carpet cleaner is going to have to come out when its a bit lighter. I've been pushing Grump for a Luxury vinyl floor for months. I'm going to have to nag him even harder...my Baby girl is going to have to crawl on a very hygienic carpet. No matter how thorough I am at cleaning the carpet it's never going to be as clean as a steam cleaned floor.

Rant over and praying for no more surprises today...

Onwards and forwards whilst wishing Dumpling a happy birthday.

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 11th Apr 18, 6:26 AM
    • 3,028 Posts
    • 41,608 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:26 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:26 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, drying underfoot but still feels very damp and sky is very cloudy and dull. Will check the forecast and peg out a line of washing if it looks like it may get line dried.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, I'll wake him shortly as he may want a lift again this morning.

Dinner last night was fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, cheesecake for dessert. I remembered to get pork steaks and sausages out to defrost, they will be for tonight's dinner with mash, LO cauli/broc cheese, LO yorkshires, carrots and gravy.

Yesterday work was slow to start but then quite manic as we just don't have enough staff and we're still struggling with technology problems, pleased today is my last day this week until Monday. We'll see what today brings. I'm working all day.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 11th Apr 18, 6:34 AM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 18,369 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:34 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:34 AM
    Morning all, I shall be going in late as in the past month I have racked up nearly 2 weeks worth of extra hours. I've slept well for a blissful change.

Happy Birthday Dumpling, have a lovely day!

Judi, what a shame, your poor carpet.

Holly just sending a bit of virtual support, please take care of yourself.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 11th Apr 18, 6:42 AM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 26,447 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:42 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:42 AM
    Morning folks and thanks for the very early start HOLLY. I hope you managed to get back to sleep. I can't offer any more advice than has already been given but you do need to speak to an impartial party such as MIND for advice.

DUMPLING Happy Birthday to you! Have a lovely day and enjoy being spoilt! JUDI I hope your day improves, not the most fragrant of starts for you. I have been looking after grandkids for 13 years and can sympathise as I know how tiring it can be. There is only 15 months between our two youngest DGDs, which meant I was looking after two in nappies at the same time!!

I have the surgery this morning for the result of my X-ray. I have been trying not to think about it as I have had worries enough in other areas!

When I get back home it will be all systems go. The kitchen must be totally emptied today ready for the cupboard dismantlers arriving in our absence Sunday morning. The area surrounding the dining table is already piled high so goodness knows where the next lot will go! Then I need to set up a "cooking" corner with kettle, cups, coffee etc on top of the fridge and the mw on a little old table, with the sc on top. If I want to add a bit of excitement to our meals there is a George Foreman and a panini press under the stairs!! I hope we don't get burglars in our absence or they will think they have broken into a junk shop!

Then there is the packing to do for our jaunt up to Darlington tomorrow. We leave on the 12.00 train (change at Leeds) so no mad panic in the morning to dash straight off.

No idea what today's meals will be but it will have to be something easy! I may bring some pasties back with me for lunch with some hm soup from the freezer.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for everyone who needs them. Take care all xx
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 5,089 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    Good morning all

Holly, it's appalling and unbelievable. Please take care of yourself.

Dumpling Happy Birthday

Judi hugs

Cranky so sorry to hear about your Dad. It's worrying, DH had been going to cognitive therapy and 6 monthly assessments for his dementia. Now nothing, he has been discharged and I have been told I am to inform them if I see any significant changes. I worry if I say too much what they might do, will they say I can't manage.

Mother's care home want a meeting with me tomorrow, probably nothing but I'm worried.

Hope you all have a good day
    Last edited by silver-oldie; 11-04-2018 at 8:09 AM.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 11th Apr 18, 8:07 AM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 45,318 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:07 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:07 AM
    Morning All

Dull and dreary out so the washing is on the pulley, a white load to do later.

I have a funeral to attend this morning then an exciting trip to Ikea with DD, we managed to get the room painted so we're going to get the bed. She bought the curtains, light shade and quilt cover yesterday, just the curtain pole to put up and it should be ready.

Yesterday's lunch was really good as usual, I had a voucher for an Indian meal, didn't eat anything else all day!

Happy Birthday dumpling, enjoy your day, and your cake!
    Just think how good the kitchen will be when it's all done TA!

Have a good day, take care. XX
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Apr 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 24,881 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Happy Birthday Dumpling, hope you have a fab day mídear x
    Hugs to Holly, Judi and also Cranky.

Overcast again here, we saw a little sun yesterday afternoon so hope to have the same today. I was chatting to lovely yard owner yesterday and she has delayed putting the horses on to the summer paddocks as feels we are at least a month behind with grass growth etc, I checked back in my diary and it was blistering hot in East Anglia this time last year.

Not a lot planned for today, did pick up four new to me books yesterday so perhaps will start one of those, although they are supposed to be for my holiday

Have a good day folks x
    • redruby
    • By redruby 11th Apr 18, 8:28 AM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 92,485 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Its been raining during the night but cleared up a bit now I have a wash on the go and will hang it out for a while later.

I have the rest of this week off which I had booked ages ago and forgotten about so Lucky me !! I slept 11 hours last night so im hoping I shall have some more energy today.

I am going to clean round the house this morning then I have to nip to the shop as we have no potatoes, I shall then take little madam up to the park for her constitutional and home to relax.

Dinner tonight will be something with chicken, perhaps a chicken and chorizo tray bake or something that I can shove in the oven and forget about.

Cranky how sad about your dad, and how dare they make those decisions on your behalf !!

SilverOldie, I often think of you I watched my darling dad suffer from dementia and know how sad and how hard it is, have a hug xx

Holly I hope your GP can give you some help xx

Have good days all xx

Im off to have some boiled eggs, which always make me think of Nelski for some reason

Happy Birthday to dear Dumpling, have a fabby day xx
    Last edited by redruby; 11-04-2018 at 8:33 AM.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Apr 18, 8:56 AM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 15,075 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning,

A quick visit from me. Keen to get back in to my routine again.

Watched the football with my mates last night and I'm playing 7-a-side tonight for the first time in a while.

Right, my internet is being weird. I bet it'll eat this post before I get the chance to hit go.

Have a nice day all!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 15,075 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning,

A quick visit from me. Keen to get back in to my routine again.

Watched the football with my mates last night and I'm playing 7-a-side tonight for the first time in a while.

Right, my internet is being weird. I bet it'll eat this post before I get the chance to hit go.

Have a nice day all!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • mehefin
    • By mehefin 11th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    mehefin
    Morning all
    Hugs and spoons to those in need .

been MIA for a while so a quick update on the mehefin household ( or should that be horsehold). Mares need wellies not shoes as it is so wet here. Can't remember the last dry day. Hay and haylage in very short supply locally but managed to source a large round bale and have been struggling to use that. Its SO big. Then the damn thing started to heat up ( a common problem with large bale haylage) so spent days trying to dig out the hot bits. Imagine a huge cotton reel and the bit you want is somewhere between the outer layer and the core..Nightmare. anyway sorted now as DS and I worked our sox off and unravelled it . Fortunately had somewhere to put it all,so that should keep us going foer a couple of weeks.
    Had a funny smell in the fridge.. it turned out to be a camembert which was very ripe. Its use by date was in May so it would have been crawling out of the fridge by then. Cue garlic and crusty bread and one baked cheese later the only smell is garlic!!!

Right off to see if this blooming rain shows any sign of stopping.
    Take care all
    Mehefin
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 6,306 Posts
    • 39,642 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning all - the sun is back out here, fingers crossed it stays a wee while longer.

I've got my cotton rugs in the washing machine and the dishwasher is also on the go. Thought I had turned it on last night but found I hadn't closed the door properly.

to Dumpling. Hope you have a wonderful day.

The digger man has just turned up to turn over the front plot. He's had to move the digger tracks in to get through the wee gate, I didn't know that they did that. Every day a school day.

Camelot - gosh and funeral and Ikea! That's an awful day.

I'm off now into town for some veggies to make the venison casserole.

Happy Wednesday to all.
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 11th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Happy Birthday Dumpling
    Wet wet wet again dogs walked first hoover of the day done floors are gritty so i think i will have to wash them all .
    Have had mum on the phone yesterday and today crying because she is struggling with the house insurance as there was a subsidence claim for the extension over 20 years ago and its a nightmare every year but as she gets older (84) she is really struggling and was asking me if i wanted to be her POA I dont really as i think she is ok at the moment yes she gets stressed if anything is out of the ordinary and her memory is not as good but not major I want her to be independent for as long as possible .
    DH said no dinner for him as he doesn't know when he will be home for work and DS doesn't know when he will be home so i will make some pizzas and then they can cook them when they get home
    Hugs to all those who need them
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 11th Apr 18, 10:09 AM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 19,520 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

I woke with a horrendous sore throat at 5am, took some pain killers and have gargled with soluble disprin, its not so bad now.......I may be in for a humdinger of a cold.

We phoned the council yesterday about a small in the toilet and hall, chap came this morning, guess what? no smell!! however he did discover that the bathroom cupboard floor was soaking....he thinks the sealant on the corner of the shower had perished. He has resealed it, the contents of the shelf unit in the cupboard have been removed and are in our bedroom on the floor, we have to give the floor time to dry out before we use the shower again.

OH's eye is fine, he has one more night to sleep with the guard on and another week with one lot of drops 3 weeks with the others.

I think we may be having a couple of WWF dinners tonight.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    • 719 Posts
    • 9,663 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all.
    We were up early this morning moving the lounge furniture, so we have decamped to our bedroom today as the man is knocking down the lounge wall for the patio doors. There was much to-ing and fro-ing this morning with cars, vans and trailers, bet the neighbours love us today!
    I have put back some of the clean curtains and will do some more later. I am going to pace myself, don't want to wear myself out ( fat chance as my pace is more snail like these days )
    Tea is a ready made cottage pie (in the fridge ) so only needs reheating in the microwave.
    Dumpling I hope you have a very Happy Birthday
    TA good luck at the doctors.
    Gers please send some sun down here.
    Sending everyone extra hugs today, there are so many in need at the moment.
    Now I think I will look for some earplugs as the drilling etc is really reverberating throughout the house .
    Hope you all have a good day.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 11th Apr 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 19,882 Thanks
    snoozer
    Happy birthday, dumpling.

Holly, I can only echo what the others have said - but what a terrible indictment on the MH services near you, they have handled everything so badly.

I saw 4am this morning, unfortunately it was because I hadn't been to sleep at all. I go through this every month for a few days, tbh I'd rather have a period.

I spoke to DD in Japan yesterday. She's coming home on Saturday but her DH is staying on in the Far East for another month. I'm quite cross with him because DD needs support at the moment. At least they've agreed that she will give up her very stressful job and go permanently freelance later this year.

I managed to get quite a bi of sewing done yesterday and given he weather I'm hoping to get some more done today, unless I fall asleep again.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    • 6,306 Posts
    • 39,642 Thanks
    Gers
    ...was asking me if i wanted to be her POA I dont really as i think she is ok at the moment yes she gets stressed if anything is out of the ordinary and her memory is not as good but not major I want her to be independent for as long as possible
    Originally posted by tiredmum2
    Once a POA is in place you can choose which companies to use it with. I have POA for my DM but only use it for her financial stufff when necessary. She's deaf so can't deal with the phone. As it takes a wee while to set up it wouldn't be bad to get things rolling, once her memory goes more it could be too late.

Gers please send some sun down here.
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    Not a chance! We have it so rarely that it's staying.

I spoke to DD in Japan yesterday. She's coming home on Saturday
    Originally posted by snoozer
    That's great news.

Digger man is almost finished already. More tea coming up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,246Posts Today

8,089Users online

Martin's Twitter