Signed off sick but asked to attend review meeting

Options

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    karxlee wrote: »
    If your PDR was a 'Good' then they cannot just get rid as you say.

With only 6-7 months service ?? I thought you worked in HR
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I am going to get the sick note revised tomorrow and advice form my doctor , I saw another doctor who issued the note.

Remember, whatever your GP may suggest to the contrary, it is unlikely they know much about employment law.
  • karxlee
    karxlee Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »

And your point is?

Depending on contracts you have a 12 week probationary period (depending on how big the company is) when you reach 6 months you are normally classed a 'in scope for PDR' the fact they have been given a Good means they must have been performing well, so to then be invited to a meeting about performance there needs to have been conversations prior about poor performance.

Or are you going to disagree with that as well?
  • karxlee
    karxlee Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »

Reasons you can be dismissed

There are some situations when your employer can dismiss you fairly.

Not being able to do your job properly
    You may not be able to do your job properly if, for example, you:

haven’t been able to keep up with important changes to your job - eg a new computer system
    can’t get along with your colleagues
    Before taking any action, your employer should:

follow disciplinary procedures - eg warn you that your work isn’t satisfactory
    give you a chance to improve - eg by training you

Illness
    You can be dismissed if you have a persistent or long-term illness that makes it impossible for you to do your job.

look for ways to support you - eg considering whether the job itself is making you sick and needs changing
    give you reasonable time to recover from your illness
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 April 2018 at 10:51PM
    Options

Reasons you can be dismissed

There are some situations when your employer can dismiss you fairly.

Not being able to do your job properly
    You may not be able to do your job properly if, for example, you:

haven!!!8217;t been able to keep up with important changes to your job - eg a new computer system
    can!!!8217;t get along with your colleagues

follow disciplinary procedures - eg warn you that your work isn!!!8217;t satisfactory
    give you a chance to improve - eg by training you

Illness
    You can be dismissed if you have a persistent or long-term illness that makes it impossible for you to do your job.

look for ways to support you - eg considering whether the job itself is making you sick and needs changing
    give you reasonable time to recover from your illness

And there is a very big difference between should and must.

From gov.uk:

Qualifying period to claim unfair dismissal. You must have worked for your employer for a minimum period before you qualify for the right to claim unfair dismissal at a tribunal. If you're classed as an employee and started your job: on or after 6 April 2012 - the qualifying period is normally 2 years.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Karxlee is right, in a way, assuming the employer is following what you might call best practice, and has comprehensive policies in line with ACAS guidelines that apply to all employees out of probation. And that they follow them.

If you don't feel well enough to attend the meeting then ask to reschedule the meeting. Ask your doctor if they will confirm that, and if they will then tell your employer that the doctor will confirm it. Alternatively offer to hold the meeting over the phone.

At the meeting be honest and tell them what you've told us, details of your illness, ie how your note came to say what it did, and give them permission to contact your doctor to confirm. I don't see what else you can do.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    If your PDR was a 'Good' then they cannot just get rid as you say.
    Of course they can.

May I ask, as you clearly have no idea about employment law or Human Resources issues in the auK, why would you make things up and post about them?

Does it give you some kind of kick to invent stuff like this when someone is asking for genuine advice.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Remember, whatever your GP may suggest to the contrary, it is unlikely they know much about employment law.

Quite, and in this case the doctor is wrong. Employers can (and often should) query sick notes. In a situation like this where the absence is work related then asking the employee to meet with them is exactly the right thing to do.

OP I think you have to ask yourself if it is the right job for you anyway if you are struggling getting up to 6 months.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Frankly, if I were you, I'd be looking for another job. You say that you were given more responsibilities because there was no further resources, so you being off sick for that time will mean that your boss is probably themselves under great level of pressure and stress and their view will most likely be that they are coping and therefore expecting you too, especially if they do believe that this additional workload was manageable.

They might be supportive, but there is a high chance that they won't. Taking 4 weeks off for stress after only 5 months in the job doesn't look great. If you then start to refuse to attend meetings etc..., they will only conclude that you just can't cope with the job, end of. They can ask you to go for no reason within 2 years and the way things are going, it is likely they consider it.

You have two choices, trying to work with your boss, complying to requests and trying to find a right middle by which the work is done but you're able to cope with it, or you accept this job is not right for you and look for another one.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think the boss turning up at the house is good practice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure