Signed off sick but asked to attend review meeting

Options
I have been off work sick since the 5/04/18.

My workload went crazy in March as I was asked to take over a project from another member of staff and was just told one day that I was taking over by my Boss. The other member if staff told me in the first week of march his involvement ended in feb.

I struggled with this as not used to as I joined them 5 months ago and had just been assisting on a live project and working on projects that had not started.I had expressed concerns in the weeks prior due to workload but my boss basically said we have no further resource.

The week before last my daughter had an op and I was booked off for 1 day hols but needed two days due to complications before returning to work for 1 day prior to easter break. She has been unwell until this week and we have had many nights if broken sleep.

I called in sick due to sickness and diarrhoea which I had but I believed it was stress related. I attended the doctors two days into my sickness due to my manager phoning me twice a day and requesting I see the doctor.

I have issued a sicknote on the 3 rd day signing (until the 19th April) me off due to Family Circumstances rather than stress as I was unsure what to let the doctor put but she said she couldn't sign me off for two weeks (she advised 4 weeks) on the basis of sick and d. It's stress from work and my daughter's illness.

I scanned and emailed this note to my line manager and they immediately queried the family circumstances. My doctor said they could not quesiton it.

My line manager attended my home on 2pm Friday the 6th without notice. I was not in my mother in law had my children as I was trying to get some rest at my mum's hows some 8 miles away.

I called him that evening and explained I was stressed due to workload and my daughters stressful time in the hospital and at home. He seemed fine with this and I agreed to contact him again on Wednesday the 11th.

I have checked my work emails tonight and found a letter calling me to a meeting on the 16th at the head office some 54 miles away. This is to discuss concerns about my performance and absence, they are also asking why I said I had sickness and then the doctors sick note which they acknowledge says family circumstances. I have not been ill before and only had a day off for my daughter being in the hospital with complications from the op.

I started a course of antidepressants last week and was starting to feel better but this had just made me worse.

I am going to go and see my doctor tomorrow and get further advice but as I understand I am signed off and cannot be expected to attend a meeting about my work performance or absence.

Comments

• batg
    batg Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    Is the employer paying you sick pay while you are off? Technically they could say that you aren't actually sick if the sicknote says "family circumstances".
    Could the doctor change it to anxiery
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    as I understand I am signed off and cannot be expected to attend a meeting about my work performance or absence.

Not necessarily. What does your staff sickness absence policy say? It is usual for regular contact to be maintained, and entirely sensible that a meeting be held to determine whether workload pressures have added to your family situation to result in this prolonged absence. Similarly it could be quite normal for such meetings to be held at your head office - we have no idea how often you go there, whether that is where your HR department is based etc.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • surveyor_101
    Options
    I was going to go and see the doctor tomorrow and ask for a revised note with stress and anxiety and look and a problem with my foot.

It states concerns with my performance and absence which they have never said before. I just had a PDR with a good review. I don't get the impression its to help me more like they want rid.

I have until 17.00 tomorrow to let them know if I need any help etc to attend the meeting.

I am required to attend head office once a month normally.

I will ask if my doctor will write to them but I do not feel well enough to attend the meeting and drive that far.

Says regular contact by phone.

I am on sick pay full for 4 weeks max. The policy says I have to be open to meet with a manager at my home not attend the office.

I don't feel up to the meeting if my doctor confirms i AM
  • karxlee
    karxlee Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I work in HR and you need to obtain a copy of your companies absence policy, it will state in there what the process is they have to follow. You can contact your HR dept for this, they have to provide you with a copy.

Reading what you have put it seems your manager is questioning the reason why you are off, it seems odd that they would turn up to your house unannounced.
    Are you in a union? If so I would advise you to speak to them, if you are not the you can call ACAS for advice.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

Did you document your concerns about your workload - via email or meetings book in with your manager?
    You need to document everything you have discussed and how you were feeling. If your work has something called occupational health then you can be asked to be referred, your company will then be obliged to consider OH recommendations.
    If you feel under stress then you must lodge that as the reason for your absence, you could also do with checking how long you get full sick pay for.
    If you do not feel up to traveling for the review you don't have to, you can ask for a meeting closer to your home. I would also take support with you so they can take notes whilst you concentrate on the conversation.
    I hope you feel better soon,
  • surveyor_101
    surveyor_101 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 10 April 2018 at 9:31PM
    Options
    Can I ask for th meeting to be rescheduled for when I feel better?

I was advised to turn my phone of and refrain from reading work emails as I need a break as it it!!!8217;s affectig my health.

I happen to look this afternoon and saw this letter on an email.

If my doctors feels this meeting will be damaging to my health can the write a letter saying this will make my stress work, assuming they issue a new sick note stating stress.

I don!!!8217;t feel up to this meeting at the moment.

I do have document emails expressing concerns about my work load.

My contract says I agree to be interviewed by a member of management while off sick at any time at my home if necessary.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 April 2018 at 9:32PM
    Options
    Your doctor signing you off sick with family circumstances as the reason wasn't a great idea, because the implication is that you're not ill but need time off due to your family. This would generally be time taken as leave (paid or unpaid) so I can see why in those circumstances work are querying the reason.

Your doctor is also incorrect in saying that they can't query the fit note - they can, and they can also ask you to attend occupational health appointments which could look at your fitness to work.

As others have said, sickness policies usually have something in about regular contact. I'd suggest taking further advice and asking for any meetings to be more accessible.
    Why are you checking work emails? They should be contacting you on a your home address, preferably in writing.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    You!!!8217;ve worked there 6/7 months tops?

If you need the job I suggest you comply with the meetings.
  • karxlee
    Options
    If they want you to attend a meeting when you are off sick they MUST send you a letter to your home address, not to your work email because you shouldn't be checking your email.
    Have you acknowledged the email?
    Did it have a read receipt and did you accept the email?
    They have to give you 24 hours notice to attend an absence review, which they have if you have acknowledged the email.

If your PDR was a 'Good' then they cannot just get rid as you say. If they have concerns with your performance then I would expect they have spoken to you about your performance and a support plan would be in place to help you to reach the desired level.

You do have a duty to keep in touch with work and as long as you are doing this then you are following the policy.

I notice you said you have 4 weeks full pay, I would take the time you need to relax, I don't think your doctor will write to your company, however I would speak to ACAS and they can offer some great support, it's free as well.

Acas most asked !!!8211; Can an employee be dismissed whilst off sick?

Something that we often get asked on the Acas helpline is whether you can dismiss somebody whilst they're on sick leave.

The answer to this is that it is possible to proceed with the disciplinary hearing whilst someone's on sick leave, however the employer, should they choose to do that would need to take into account the reasons behind the sick leave.

For example if the employees on short term sick leave they could consider postponing the meeting to a time when the employee may be fit to attend. If however the absence has more long-term the employer could consider making adjustments to their actual procedure.

What needs to be balanced here is the process having to proceed without unreasonable
    delay with the employees opportunity to put forward their case. The Employer would have a duty to explore whether any adjustments would
    be appropriate for example if it would be more appropriate to attend at neutral venue or going to the employee's home to have a meeting
  • surveyor_101
    Options
    I don’t feel up to traveling to bath.

I am going to get the sick note revised tomorrow and advice form my doctor , I saw another doctor who issued the note.

I have not acknowledged the letter and it’s in the post apparently so they don’t know I have seen it.

I will write and say if it cannot be reschedule them I make myself available as per the time and date at my home for and interview with regard to my absence as per the terms of my contract.
  • karxlee
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Your doctor signing you off sick with family circumstances as the reason wasn't a great idea, because the implication is that you're not ill but need time off due to your family. This would generally be time taken as leave (paid or unpaid) so I can see why in those circumstances work are querying the reason.

Your doctor is also incorrect in saying that they can't query the fit note - they can, and they can also ask you to attend occupational health appointments which could look at your fitness to work.

As others have said, sickness policies usually have something in about regular contact. I'd suggest taking further advice and asking for any meetings to be more accessible.
    Why are you checking work emails? They should be contacting you on a your home address, preferably in writing.

I agree the reason you gave in the first instance wasn't a great idea, however it's done. The next sick note must state stress if that is what you feel.

You need to stop checking your work email because that will not help how you are feeling.

I hope your daughter is feeling better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport