Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 10th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 103Posts
    • 21Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    MMD: Should I claim money from cash-strapped council?
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    MMD: Should I claim money from cash-strapped council? 10th Apr 18 at 5:14 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I pay for a parking permit from my council. When I renewed this year, it got lost in the post and I was charged £20 to have it reissued. I think this is unfair and I'm considering fighting to get my cash back. But considering how little money many councils have, should I just let it go?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 10-04-2018 at 8:05 PM.
Page 1
    • Shiggaddi
    • By Shiggaddi 10th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Shiggaddi
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    It may be a cash strapped council, but charging £20 for a piece of paper and postage is certainly making a profit from the situation. This is assuming you've paid the normal amount plus £20. Also if it's lost in the post, can't the council claim from Royal Mail and send the replacement for free. If you buy something from an online retailer, and it gets lost in the post, it is their responsibility to send out a replacement and for them to claim from the courier. Why should it be any different to the council.
    • Tiptaker
    • By Tiptaker 11th Apr 18, 7:06 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Tiptaker
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:06 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:06 AM
    If you lost it they could justify charging for replacement, but if you didn't receive it t...... How do you know they even posted It? Of course you should protest, the Council should claim from the royal mail.
    • dickavis
    • By dickavis 11th Apr 18, 8:05 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dickavis
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:05 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:05 AM
    It's their responsibility to ensure that you receive it. If you've not received it it's not your fault so why should you pay?
    • adamwantsadb9
    • By adamwantsadb9 11th Apr 18, 8:14 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    adamwantsadb9
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:14 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:14 AM
    They would happily take you to court and send bailiffs to remove goods from your home or have you put in prison if you refused to pay your council tax. Being forced to pay for a permit is robbery in the first place, being able to park outside your own home should not be a luxury
    • adamwantsadb9
    • By adamwantsadb9 11th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    adamwantsadb9
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    They would happily take you to court and send bailiffs to remove goods from your home or have you put in prison if you refused to pay your council tax. Being forced to pay for a permit is robbery in the first place, being able to park outside your own home should not be a luxury. The government makes enough money from motorists as it is without having to defraud another £20
    • minislim
    • By minislim 11th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    minislim
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    damm right! you paid for it in the first place. they failed to deliver! really they should have offered to send out a replacement free of charge!

they might plead poverty and that they cash strapped. but i bet the council top brass are on five and maybe even six figure wages!

i know mine are here in oldham.
    • Hi it's me
    • By Hi it's me 11th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Hi it's me
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    As a fellow suffer under Oldham council's tyranny, I can only agree the upper management who tend to come up with these crazy schemes i.e £20 to replace a document they lost.

It's quite sickening really, 90% of the staff know they can do no wrong
    • Staffybullterrier
    • By Staffybullterrier 11th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Staffybullterrier
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    Claim it back from the council
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    As others have said the council would not hesitate to send in the bailiffs if the shoe was on the other foot.
    Also most councils still have plenty of money , they just don`t spend it wisely and that is because they pay over inflated salaries to managers who havent a clue what they are doing . they are just going through the motions and counting down the days until they can draw their massive council tax subsidised pensions . Believe me I`ve worked for a council in the past.
    • onesixfive
    • By onesixfive 11th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    onesixfive
    could you not collect one from the council offices for free (save the cost & risk of postage?)
    • joehoover
    • By joehoover 11th Apr 18, 11:25 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    joehoover
    Councils made £819 million in parking fines last year, up 20%.

They are increasingly not about services (as my rubbish collection and street cleaning leaves a lot to be desired) but about making money.

Parking fines is a money making scheme for them, I also had to get new Gas and Electric for my work premises and did some comparisons and one company called Lumina I noticed in the small print said it was owned by Kent County Council, so they are now expanding into the energy supply market and the profits that comes with that.

So it is increasingly apparent they are operating as businesses rather than a service we already pay for. So do what you would do with any company who had scammed you and push for a full refund.
    • diggingahole
    • By diggingahole 11th Apr 18, 11:49 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    diggingahole
    100% do not pay again, the council should have sent it recorded delivery if they put a £20 value on sending you a permit to park outside your own home.
    • 114894dk
    • By 114894dk 11th Apr 18, 11:52 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    114894dk
    Despite massive cuts to council funding this was their issue - onus on the sender - you should not pay. And yup, Oldham finds the money for massive vanity projects, at the expense of the basics - I'm sure other councils are the same.
    • crmism
    • By crmism 11th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    crmism
    Permit
    Did you make and retain a copy of your renewal application by any chance? If so, you might be able to convince the Council that it was their negligence that led to the loss of the original permit. It is possible, though, that someone intercepted your letter and is using a valuable permit for their own benefit.

I can see why the Council wants to charge extra for the replacement. They doubtless do so as a deterrent to fraudsters who claim not to have received their permit, get another, and pass or sell it on to someone else.

I agree that money is tight with all local authorities, but it shouldn't excuse mistakes made by their employees, so lodge an appeal if you still feel your Council is at fault.
    • Augustus the Strong
    • By Augustus the Strong 11th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Augustus the Strong
    Is it worth all that faffing around for £20? I know this is a money-saving site but you could spend a lot of time trying to sort it out that could be used in better ways. I appreciate it's galling and their responsibility, but...
    Our council don't issue paper permits at all now, all done online, which saves some bother as long as you remember to renew it!
    • Santamaria
    • By Santamaria 11th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Santamaria
    Councils don't care how little money some council tax payers have, they still want payment in full. And, as other posters have said, if they did not waste money on vanity projects and excessive salaries to senior management, they would not be as cash strapped as they are. You should not hesitate to pursue your claim, give them a taste of their own medicine.
    • kasam1986
    • By kasam1986 11th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kasam1986
    K45
    It was lost in the post and you did not received it or maybe they didn't send it . 100% they should pay for the replacement.
    They should of cancelled the one that got lost in the post and sent you another one...They shouldn't of charged you the £20 that's just cheeky!
    • gloriouslyhappy
    • By gloriouslyhappy 11th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    gloriouslyhappy
    I can see why the Council wants to charge extra for the replacement. They doubtless do so as a deterrent to fraudsters who claim not to have received their permit, get another, and pass or sell it on to someone else.

I agree that money is tight with all local authorities, but it shouldn't excuse mistakes made by their employees, so lodge an appeal if you still feel your Council is at fault.
    Originally posted by crmism
    Is it worth all that faffing around for £20? I know this is a money-saving site but you could spend a lot of time trying to sort it out that could be used in better ways. I appreciate it's galling and their responsibility, but...
    Originally posted by Augustus the Strong
    I agree with Augustus the Strong and crmism - I understand why there's a replacement charge and think avoiding the stress of faffing with the council is well worth £20 to me, but would make at least one polite enquiry requesting my money back under the circumstances, and then let it go if I'm refused reimbursement. This time anyway!
    • _nate
    • By _nate 11th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    _nate
    If your council is so cash-strapped that it causes you such concern, why not instead send them a cheque for an additional £20 to help out?

Alternatively, you could consider not raising such preposterous issues as hypothetical dilemmas.
    • Bristow
    • By Bristow 11th Apr 18, 6:45 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Bristow
    NO. NO. NO. They did not (allegedly) receive it, and if you posted it to the correct address, there is no reason why it should not have arrived, so they should pay. But when council elections come round, look at who the councillors are who permit these so-called 'officers' to get away with such sloppy behaviour and ask them why they permit this. There are problems with mail, but this sounds an excuse too far.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,779Posts Today

8,261Users online

Martin's Twitter