Is this right

Options
and what would the exact instructions be to the SIPP provider.

My wife intends to give up work 2 years before SP age at this December. She will have amongst other investments £50L in a SIPP as cash. She intends transferring that to HL to take advantage of their no fee cash SIPP before the end of this financial year.
She will have no earnings for 2 years before SP and intends drawing of this SIPP, leaving other investments alone.
If right she will (after April 6 1919) take the SIPP into drawdown and, a) take £12.5K tax free plus ask for <£1,000 a month payment. Assuming PA will then be £12K no tax should be taken from that payment.
Assuming that works OK a similar set up will be asked for the following year, but only perhaps £800 pm as she will have 3 months SP.
Is this correct and what should she say exactly to HL?

Comments

• Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds right as long as the tax allowance is as you describe
    Say to HL exactly what you have said here.they are very good
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Mnd
    Options
    Also why not consider deferring your wife's state pension and use all her annual allowance on her pension funds
    You also can still pay in 2880 to gain more tax free cash as well
    And also consider the married tax allowance as well if you pay basic rate tax.
    I hope that this is all right as you are describing my situation now and my wife's in 4 years
    Annual target £24000
  • caveman38
    caveman38 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 April 2018 at 4:11PM
    Options
    What I meant was- instead of "Assuming PA will then be £12K no tax should be taken from that payment".
    I'm hoping that no tax will be deducted by HL avoiding contact with IR to claim tax back.
  • Mnd
    edited 10 April 2018 at 4:58PM
    Options
    Read through several of the threads on here, I was a complete novice about all this and people have taught me a lot.
    I only think I understand a little about the situation you are describing as that's what will be affecting us in the future. That's why I will only comment about this, anything more involved I leave to the experts who will help you.
    Anyway, to answer your question directly..it seems that when you make the first withdrawal then hl will have to pay the tax on it which you can either claim back or wait for the tax people to pay it back in the fullness of time. The tax office will then issue a tax code to hl and they will use this for future payments.
    One problem seems to be if you withdraw a large amount early in the year, they assume that you are going to take that amount every month and you may pay tax at 40% although you can claim it back.
    They suggest that you do a modest withdrawal to start with, then when hl has your new code it can be paid taxfree
    Everytime I phone or message hl they are very good and explain the options and consequences to me
    Annual target £24000
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    Options
    caveman38 wrote: »
    What I meant was- instead of "Assuming PA will then be £12K no tax should be taken from that payment".
    I'm hoping that no tax will be deducted by HL avoiding contact with IR to claim tax back.

'Hope' and 'assume' are two verbs which should never appear in the context of anything to do with pensions, which is a fairyland all its own! Check first and if necessary get the answer in writing from HL or whichever provider you are using.
  • squirrelpie
    Options
    Assuming that works OK a similar set up will be asked for the following year, but only perhaps £800 pm as she will have 3 months SP.
    I don't think the situation will be 'similar', because by that time HL will have been given a tax code for you, plus she will be receiving '<£1000 a month' for over three years so will have already used up her personal allowance. And her tax codes will change again after her SP starts to be paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure