Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • itisgeorge
    • By itisgeorge 10th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    itisgeorge
    Early repayment of Natwest loan - save money?
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    Early repayment of Natwest loan - save money? 10th Apr 18 at 1:02 PM
    Hello,

I have a 4,000 loan with NatWest a few years ago (no date to hand), with a rate of 25.90% and a monthly repayment of 122.94. The interest seems to be charged monthly and the remaining loan balance is 3,325.60. Does this monthly interest all get added when you pay in a lump sum regardless?

I'm looking to potentially reduce this debt by early repayment by taking out a seperate low interest loan from Zopa for instance. I'm a bit confused if repaying early actually saves money, as the last early settlement figure I requested was higher than the balance shown on statements.

Will I actually be paying more than the balance shown on the statements if I continue to pay monthly?

I also understand that you incur a early settlement fee that I can avoid by not completely paying in full and leaving a months payment remaining to be collected normally.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 18,672 Posts
    • 19,936 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    The earlier you pay, the more interest you save, as interest is calculated daily and added monthly.
    • itisgeorge
    • By itisgeorge 10th Apr 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    itisgeorge
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:40 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:40 PM
    perfect! So does the balance shown on say, online banking, include the interest? If not, does that mean the balance would technically increase if I continue paying monthly to include the interest?

Thank you!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 11th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 27,831 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    The balance shown does not include interest usually . The settlement amount will always be higher than the remaining shown on a statement

Request a settlement figure. That is the only way to get and up to date amount you need to pay to close the account.

However I would not be considering swapping one debt for another. You are not guaranteed you will get a low rate loan. How many months left of your existing loan? Is that your only debt?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,723Posts Today

8,320Users online

Martin's Twitter