Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • demiruss
    • By demiruss 10th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 54Posts
    • 24Thanks
    demiruss
    Notice period one week - when does it end?
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    Notice period one week - when does it end? 10th Apr 18 at 12:37 PM
    If you hand your notice in today and it's a weeks notice, when would be the last day you'd work?

I know it activates the following day, so would you have to work until next Tuesday or Wednesday?

Also, is there a difference between the terms 7 days or 1 week in the contract?

And if you have never signed a contract, does that matter or is it implied?

Thanks in advance. Called ACAS but they can't talk about this apparently.
Page 1
    • Pricivius
    • By Pricivius 10th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    Pricivius
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    If you resign today and give 1 week's notice, your last day will be 17 April. So you will work next Tuesday.

I cannot think of a difference between 7 days and 1 week, unless day/week is given a different definition in the contract (such as working week or working day).

If you never signed the contract, but have acted it out (so you have attended work and have been paid for it) you are deemed to have agreed to it unless you have objected to it. There is no need to sign it.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 10th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 5,126 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    There would only be a difference between 7 days notice and one week if there was something in your contract which stated 7 working days. In the absence of a contract I would say there is no difference.
    • demiruss
    • By demiruss 10th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    demiruss
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    So could there be any explanation for an employer saying you have to work until the Wednesday? The contract just says '1 week's notice'.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 10th Apr 18, 1:50 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:50 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:50 PM
    So could there be any explanation for an employer saying you have to work until the Wednesday? The contract just says '1 week's notice'.
    Originally posted by demiruss
    They are unable to count?
    • demiruss
    • By demiruss 10th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    demiruss
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    They are unable to count?
    Originally posted by Carrot007

They're saying Peninsula has said it ends on Wednesday. One of the managers wanted me to do something on the Wednesday and was really put out by me not doing it, then all of a sudden I had to work until the Wednesday. I offered alternative staff members who could do the job but she flat out refused. I didn't agree to it and now she's saying I did and must stay until Wednesday.
    Last edited by demiruss; 10-04-2018 at 1:56 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Apr 18, 2:47 PM
    • 31,866 Posts
    • 19,098 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:47 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:47 PM
    Even if you previously agreed to do something you can still terminate the contract with the contractual notice.

Don't need to have any discussion as you won't be employed by them after Tues.

Manager can huff and puff as much as they like.
    • demiruss
    • By demiruss 10th Apr 18, 2:54 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    demiruss
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:54 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:54 PM
    They're saying you hand it in on Tuesday, it becomes 'live' on Wednesday and they count a calendar week from then. Is that allowed? I've always just counted 7 days from e.g. Wednesday = Tuesday. I feel like I'm going cuckoo. They're going to say I've breached my contract if I don't do the extra day.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    • 19,888 Posts
    • 15,599 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    They're saying you hand it in on Tuesday, it becomes 'live' on Wednesday and they count a calendar week from then.
    They're right, but they seem not to realise that the week ends on Tuesday. Perhaps you could stand in front of them and count the days: Wednesday = 1, Thursday = 2, Friday = 3, (Saturday = 4), (Sunday = 5), Monday = 6, Tuesday = 7. How can they argue with that, unless they think that a week contains more than 7 days?
    • demiruss
    • By demiruss 10th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    demiruss
    They're right, but they seem not to realise that the week ends on Tuesday. Perhaps you could stand in front of them and count the days: Wednesday = 1, Thursday = 2, Friday = 3, (Saturday = 4), (Sunday = 5), Monday = 6, Tuesday = 7. How can they argue with that, unless they think that a week contains more than 7 days?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I done this before, they still argued it's Wednesday to Wednesday. Consensus here is I'm not going loopy and will ask it does not get classed as a breach.
    Last edited by demiruss; 10-04-2018 at 9:01 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Apr 18, 4:25 PM
    • 31,866 Posts
    • 19,098 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Resign today and let them argue in court after you left on Tues.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Apr 18, 6:59 PM
    • 19,888 Posts
    • 15,599 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I done this before, they still argued it's Wednesday to Wednesday. Consensus here is I'm not going loopy vand will ask it does not get classed as a breach. I wouldn't mind but it's their expectation to come into work later than I work, a day after I've finished and all because they won't ask someone else to do the job.

They are idiots and you're well out of there. Just finish on Tuesday, and if they don't pay everything that you are owed then contact ACAS to do an early reconciliation and if necessary start an Employment Tribunal claim. I can't see how you could fail to win.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 10th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    General Grant
    Make sure you have evidence that your written notice was RECEIVED on Tuesday.
    • demiruss
    • By demiruss 10th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    demiruss
    Would an email acknowledging finishing on the 17th count?
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 10th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    General Grant
    Would an email acknowledging finishing on the 17th count?
    Well, if it is dated today that shows you handed your notice in today (or earlier).
    If it says you are finishing on the 17th, where's the problem?

Perhaps Peninsula said your termination would be effective on the Wednesday. That is that your last day of employment would be Tuesday and you would be a free (wo)man on Wednesday.

By the way, not having signed a contract doesn't make a difference. All that is required is that they gave you written particulars of your employment which included your notice period. They didn't need to sign the piece of paper either. If they hadn't done that and you had worked for them for more than a month then you would still be required to give them a week's notice because that is the statutory notice to which they would be entitled.
    • demiruss
    • By demiruss 10th Apr 18, 8:36 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    demiruss
    Well, if it is dated today that shows you handed your notice in today (or earlier).
    If it says you are finishing on the 17th, where's the problem?

Perhaps Peninsula said your termination would be effective on the Wednesday. That is that your last day of employment would be Tuesday and you would be a free (wo)man on Wednesday.

By the way, not having signed a contract doesn't make a difference. All that is required is that they gave you written particulars of your employment which included your notice period. They didn't need to sign the piece of paper either. If they hadn't done that and you had worked for them for more than a month then you would still be required to give them a week's notice because that is the statutory notice to which they would be entitled.
    Originally posted by General Grant
    Them acknowledging the resignation but saying it starts from tomorrow so it's a week from tomorrow which is next Wednesday 18th Peninsula said it's Wednesday next week.

I thought that about contracts. You've all been really helpful, thank you. Thought I was going mad, you'd think I had an important job
    Last edited by demiruss; 10-04-2018 at 8:47 PM.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 11th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    General Grant
    But your 20:20 message yesterday suggested it said finishing on 17th.

However, correct me if I am wrong, you do have an email dated on Tuesday this week which acknowledges you had resigned and had given 17 April as your final day of employment.
    • demiruss
    • By demiruss 11th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    demiruss
    That's me not being clear, sorry.

I got an an email response agreeing that I wouldn't be around after the 17th when something came up that I usually do and they didn't seem to want to get someone else to do it so I was then told (verbally) by the person who wanted me to do it "actually, it starts from tomorrow so you will be finishing on Wednesday". That means the notice results in 8 days not 7 therefore I can do that very basic thing on the 8th day they wanted me to do so bad :/
    Last edited by demiruss; 11-04-2018 at 2:25 PM.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 11th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    BooJewels
    If you officially finish your employment on Tuesday 17th and will no longer be an employee on Wednesday 18th - can you do this important task on the Wednesday for them and submit an invoice as a 'consultant' or something. Tell them your hourly rate is 50 and you require payment within 14 days. Maybe they'll suddenly find someone else to undertake it then.

Just being a bit mischievous - I did something like this myself probably about 10 years before you were born.
    • demiruss
    • By demiruss 11th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    demiruss
    Haha! Well apparently I'm breaching the contract by not doing it so I doubt she'd accept that There wasn't even a 'please' or mention of time and a half (not that I would work it anyway as I'm not obligated). She's just threatened me to work when she realised she might have to pull her finger out and get someone to cover the job and flew off the handle. Flaming cheek.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,166Posts Today

6,236Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin