Advice re. facials needed, please.

Hi people!

For quite some time my skin has become very dry and sad-looking, and is in great need of a facial or three!

However, looking at the lists in the windows of salons or online at their websites, there seem to be a million types of facials with fancy names and widely-ranging prices, and I am quite bewildered by them all.

Plus, I haven't had a facial or visited a beauty salon for years.

Can anyone give me any advice on what the main categories of facials are, and what's involved?

Many thanks.
(I just lurve spiders!)
INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
I love :eek:

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Try your local college, Pyxis. The girls are supervised and you will have advice. Tend to be slow, though.

Do you have any friends who can recommend a salon?

Facials are a real treat for me.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Try your local college, Pyxis. The girls are supervised and you will have advice. Tend to be slow, though.

Do you have any friends who can recommend a salon?

Facials are a real treat for me.

No, no-one I know can help!

I hadn't thought of a college.

It's just that every salon seems to have a myriad of different types, with names of facials that vary from salon to salon, and it's so confusing!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• I may not be a huge help but I usually pick the salon and tell them my skin type and then they will tell me which facial they would recommend! Each salon seems to use different products and techniques but they are usually helpful when recommending which facial to get which will suit your skin type!
  • UnionGirl
    UnionGirl Posts: 182 Forumite
    If you can find a self-employed small salon they can often be a lot cheaper.

I’m in Scotland and the woman who does my massage and facial is an awful lot cheaper than other salons. I can recommend Environ facials if available in your town.
    As my Mum always said "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you are on Facebook join the Deciem Facebook groups, there are two big ones.
    Maybe your skincare needs an overhaul.
  • I'd always recommend ones like dermalogica if you're really looking to improve your skin, as they will do extractions of blackheads for example which can be really great for your skin. Or you could go super medical and get a peel or resurfacer.

I once went to just a local salon which was more a relaxation facial, and used very smelly products which brought me out in a rash and made my skin x10 worse!
  • Extractions are vital and masks can help if done properly. Buy some good products and ask for recommendations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure