Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 6Thanks
    swazzle2000
    Gone from full time to part time: what should I be paid?
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    Gone from full time to part time: what should I be paid? 8th Apr 18 at 11:53 AM
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    I came back off maternity leave in August 2017. I went from a full time employee to a part time employee at that point. I used to work 40 hours a week, and dropped down to 24 hours per week. I donít know how to work out how much I should be paid. My last employer was a bit weird with how he did the wages as it didnít matter what tax code you were on, he would always pay the same. For example, I applied for the uniform cleaning tax relief, and it didnít change my wages at all! And everyone was paid the same.

So, the last month before I went on maternity leave, I was paid, for a 40 hour week, £1520.76. My PAYE tax was 119.00 and my NI contributions were £101.76. My take home pay was then £1300.00. My tax code was 1110L.
    The total on my p60 for 2016 (before maternity leave) was £18,370.

Can anyone tell me what my part time wage should be? I think they gave me a massive pay reduction without me realising it. I now take home, for a 24 hour week, £800.

Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 8th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    I came back off maternity leave in August 2017. I went from a full time employee to a part time employee at that point. I used to work 40 hours a week, and dropped down to 24 hours per week. I don!!!8217;t know how to work out how much I should be paid. My last employer was a bit weird with how he did the wages as it didn!!!8217;t matter what tax code you were on, he would always pay the same. For example, I applied for the uniform cleaning tax relief, and it didn!!!8217;t change my wages at all! And everyone was paid the same.

So, the last month before I went on maternity leave, I was paid, for a 40 hour week, £1520.76. My PAYE tax was 119.00 and my NI contributions were £101.76. My take home pay was then £1300.00. My tax code was 1110L.

Can anyone tell me what my part time wage should be? I think they gave me a massive pay reduction without me realising it. I now take home, for a 24 hour week, £800.

Thank you in advance.
    Originally posted by swazzle2000
    sounds about right, your taking home just over half for just over half the hours

quick maths, before tax 1520.76 / 40 * 24 = £912.45
    Last edited by glentoran99; 08-04-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 8th Apr 18, 11:59 AM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:59 AM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:59 AM
    your tax code is wrong, with uniform relief it should be 1160L
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 8th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    • 5,872 Posts
    • 6,817 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    I came back off maternity leave in August 2017. I went from a full time employee to a part time employee at that point. I used to work 40 hours a week, and dropped down to 24 hours per week. I donít know how to work out how much I should be paid. My last employer was a bit weird with how he did the wages as it didnít matter what tax code you were on, he would always pay the same. For example, I applied for the uniform cleaning tax relief, and it didnít change my wages at all! And everyone was paid the same.

Thank you in advance.
    So have you changed employer as you say your last employer???

If so then two different employers will prob pay diff rates?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 8th Apr 18, 12:22 PM
    • 3,981 Posts
    • 7,218 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:22 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:22 PM
    24 is 60% of 40. 60% of £1300 = £780.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 8th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 19,250 Posts
    • 19,761 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    You worked 40 hours a week for £18,370. This means that you were paid £459.25 per year for every hour per week you earned.

At the same rate of pay, 24 hours would earn you £11,022 per year. Assuming a tax code of 1160L (and you can contact HMRC direct about this if your employer hasn't told them about the uniform bit) you can then plug these figures into a calculator. I used https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

All figures are per month.

Gross Income £918.50
    Taxable Income nil
    Tax nil
    National Insurance £25.98
    2018 Take Home £892.52
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    So have you changed employer as you say your last employer???

If so then two different employers will prob pay diff rates?
    Originally posted by Takeaway_Addict
    Yes I have changed employer, but I told them that I needed at least £800, and now I get £795 instead. So Iím tryig to figure out whether I should have asked for more and if theyíve calculated it differently now that I am part time. I think Iíve accidentally given myself a pay cut by asking for the wrong amount.
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    You worked 40 hours a week for £18,370. This means that you were paid £459.25 per year for every hour per week you earned.

At the same rate of pay, 24 hours would earn you £11,022 per year. Assuming a tax code of 1160L (and you can contact HMRC direct about this if your employer hasn't told them about the uniform bit) you can then plug these figures into a calculator. I used https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

All figures are per month.

Gross Income £918.50
    Taxable Income nil
    Tax nil
    National Insurance £25.98
    2018 Take Home £892.52
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    This is also why I think my previous employer was paying me the wrong amount because this calculator says I should be getting a lot more.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 8th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 5,335 Posts
    • 6,654 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    This is also why I think my previous employer was paying me the wrong amount because this calculator says I should be getting a lot more.
    The current calculator won't be exactly right for past years due to tax changes. There may also be pension contributions to take into account.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 8th Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 4,180 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Right. What are you paid, BEFORE TAX, by your current employer?

There could be all kinds of reasons for you paying the wrong tax, so start with the gross.

And forget what you got paid before by a different employer; it is entirely irrelevant.
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    My current employer pays me £811. Then NI comes out so I take home £795, give or take a few pence. I donít pay tax because Iím well under the threshold.
    • UKSBD
    • By UKSBD 8th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    UKSBD
    you were on about £8.80 an hour. you are now on about £7.80 an hour
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 8th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 19,250 Posts
    • 19,761 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    OK, but as people have said, the tax code in previous years would have been different. (Although you can set this calculator, which just happened to be the first one I found, for previous tax years.)

I don't understand about your previous employer paying the wrong amount, however, because I used the amount you told us you had been paid for the year to work out your current stuff.

Do you have a copy of your contract? What is your actual contracted salary? (and/or what was it before your mat leave?)
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 8th Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 4,180 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Stop talking about NI and tax, they are irrelevant.

Your previous job , based on 1520.76 per month, works out at £18,249 pa.

Your current job based on £811 per month works out at £9,732. If you were working 40 hours multiply by 40/24, so £16,220 pa.

Yes, you have taken a large pay cut.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 8th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 19,250 Posts
    • 19,761 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Why did you change employers?
    Was this due to a TUPE transfer?
    What does your contract say?

(I am actually wondering what went on when you 'told them that [you] needed at least £800' - is it possible that you are working more hours than they are paying you for?)
    Last edited by jobbingmusician; 08-04-2018 at 9:34 PM.

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 8th Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 4,180 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I think it's as simple as that they have changed jobs and asked to be paid at least £800 monthly for a 24 hour week. So the company have set the salary accordingly. If they asked for "at least £800" I am not sure what else they expected to happen; that's what they have got.

I am not sure why they didn't realise this was a lot less than they were on before, though.
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 08-04-2018 at 9:39 PM.
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 9:47 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    Ok, so at my last employment, I was full time. I then went part time and my salary was cut to £800 for 24 hours work.
    So then I got my new job, where I am now, and when they asked me how much I was on, I said £800. I said that because, well, that!!!8217;s what I was taking Home as I wasn!!!8217;t paying any tax. So that is what my new place chose to pay me.
    Now I!!!8217;m questioning whether my previous employer actually worked it out correctly, going from my previous full time salary, and whether I!!!8217;ve shot myself in the foot by not asking for the correct amount. Does that make sense? I!!!8217;m doing a 24 hour week now as well, so I just thought it was as simple as asking for the same amount. But when I work it back, it seems really low and I can see why they were so quick to want to hire me!

I changed employers because my last employ had two sites. I started out at one, went on mat leave and they had moved me to the other site which was too far to travel.

I dont have a contract for my new employ yet.

I;m getting confused because the £1520.60 was before tax and NI. I dont pay into a pension. Is £800 per month part time the correct amount if you work it back from my £1520 full time salary?
    I know you say tax/ni doesnt matter but £1520.60 was my gross, not my take home. Should I have worked it out from that?

Thank you all by the way for your replies. I just want to know what I!!!8217;ve done wrong here so I can go and talk to my boss about it tomorrow.

Both jobs mean I am taking Home more or less the same amount. £800/£795. So where have I gone wrong?
    Last edited by swazzle2000; 08-04-2018 at 9:49 PM.
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    I think it's as simple as that they have changed jobs and asked to be paid at least £800 monthly for a 24 hour week. So the company have set the salary accordingly. If they asked for "at least £800" I am not sure what else they expected to happen; that's what they have got.

I am not sure why they didn't realise this was a lot less than they were on before, though.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Itís because thereís only £5 difference between the 2 salaries. £800 at my old place and £795 at my new.

I just want to know what £1520.60 full time, 40 hours a week, is worked out at as 24 hours per week part time.
    This is why I think my old employ were paying me too little after I went part time. But Iím getting confused with that amount and my £1300 take home. Iíve worked it out from my take home and not my gross, as I thought thatís what you did! Iíve never been part time before so I just took my managers word that, thatís what it should be.

I never had a new contract for my old employ, as a part time employee either.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 8th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Iíve worked it out from my take home and not my gross, as I thought thatís what you did
    The problem here is employee's always talk about take home as that's what matters to them.

Employer's always talk gross, as that's what matters to them.
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 10:23 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    £1520.60 per month pro rata to 24 hours per week is £912.36.

Is there any plausible reason as to why this would have been lowered to £800 per month? Im annoyed at myself for not realising and Iím annoyed at my old employer for giving me a pay cut without telling me! I just assumed it was something to do with tax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,213Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter