"let go" / Dismissed

Options
Hi,

I've worked in a company for over a year, one morning out of the blue I was invited into the office and told that they would be letting me go but they would provide me with a reference saying that I'm skilled at my job. There was no previous discussion that I was at risk / any form of review... My appraisals were positive and I had been promoted twice, I passed probation without any problems.

It’s my understanding that until the two-year mark you have no protection from this happening and that the employer has fulfilled their legal obligation by paying me for my unused holidays / period of notice?

I’m not the first person this has happened to in the organisation and they stated to me that they make use of their right to terminate if they don't feel it's working out.. (not that it makes me feel any better or improves my situation).

It’s very embarrassing situation to be in this situation but am I right in saying that my legal situation is “dismissed”? – It makes me sound like a criminal but I suppose that's where i'm at?

I’m currently on garden leave but that ends soon... I don't think I've ever been so anxious trying to explain this situation in interviews.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Surely you must be able to find out why they have picked on you rather than someone else; I would have thought you had a right to know that. It does not take a year to decide "it's not working out", does it?

If you knew the reason at least you could address it going forward and try to ensure it does not happen again... You have not just hit the age of 21 or 25, have you? It might be that you have served your purpose and they can get an 18 year old to do your job for rather less per hour.

You are correct in that, if you have been there less than two years, you have no redress provided they pay you everything you are due.

Chin up; you will find something better.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April 2018 at 6:14PM
    Options
    You are right that the legal term is "dismissed" - and it doesn't make you sound like a criminal! If you had been in a redundancy situation that too would have been a dismissal.

With under two years' service you can't demand a written statement of the reason for the dismissal but they should have a valid reason which they can justify.

What do you want to happen?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Gadge2011 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've worked in a company for over a year, one morning out of the blue I was invited into the office and told that they would be letting me go but they would provide me with a reference saying that I'm skilled at my job. There was no previous discussion that I was at risk / any form of review... My appraisals were positive and I had been promoted twice, I passed probation without any problems.

It’s my understanding that until the two-year mark you have no protection from this happening and that the employer has fulfilled their legal obligation by paying me for my unused holidays / period of notice?

I’m not the first person this has happened to in the organisation and they stated to me that they make use of their right to terminate if they don't feel it's working out.. (not that it makes me feel any better or improves my situation).

It’s very embarrassing situation to be in this situation but am I right in saying that my legal situation is “dismissed”? – It makes me sound like a criminal but I suppose that's where i'm at?

I’m currently on garden leave but that ends soon... I don't think I've ever been so anxious trying to explain this situation in interviews.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Yes they have done everything correctly.

Way of the world - most other employers will probably understand. You have a good solid year under your belt so hold your head up.

As you are getting a reference saying you are skilled at job, I'd start telling myself in reality that the job had an end date and work wasn't available for you.

I'm currently on a FTC - I get no one 2 ones or appraisals - only recently learn it appears I've past 'company probation' when the letter for pension set up arrived and holiday toward end of the assignment approved straight away for in a couple of months time. I'll only imagine the process to have me out starts when I under target. I'm dreading explaining I feel like some sort of contractor sitting in an office and can only hope I'll integrate into a team having been solo and wild for as many months so it can be worse.

I'm really thinking the only way to keep a job is to apply for something no one else wants to do and hope it's not fixed term. All I have picked up since last summer is work of a temporary nature with an end date. Though I'm lucky I don't have a family to support etc so I manage to keep positive about it.

You CAN improve your situation - it's called getting another job and start signing for benefits without delay for in the interim. That's a way I guess you might get to find out more about this being let go.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just say it was a temporary job which came to an end as, despite two promotions, there wasn't a permanent opportunity available for you.

Which is was (because you were there less than two years) and it did, and there wasn't.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Gadge2011
    Gadge2011 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April 2018 at 8:21PM
    Options
    Hi All,

(I'm experienced in my sector and I suppose considered to be working at a senior level and I've just never had anything like this happen to me..It's a interesting life lesson and I think it's made me more humble).

Thanks for the reply - I just wanted to make sure that I understood my legal position correctly, I wrongly thought that an employee was protected after 1 year so it was a bit of a shock to find out this could happen.

The criminal thing is very much an emotional reaction... It's been a bit of a roller coaster emotionally as you can imagine (complete shock, feels like I lost my identity, lack of confidence and so on). I've got twin infant son's and a holiday booked very soon which added to the stress by giving me some unexpected time constraints to find another job (kids were supposed to go into child care in the day but that might not be possible any more so our plans feel like they have gone out the window) ... These are obviously my problems and not work's but still it adds to the stress, the positive is that I'm spending more time with my family.

I'm very active in the job market and I've had a couple of interviews last week and I've got a couple more next week so hopefully something will come of it However, explaining the situation is horrid but I suppose that's life.

I wouldn't want to try and bend the truth to new potential employers. I'm trusted with company's major assets and I think that would be a very bad move.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a relative who worked at a place where there seemed to be a culture of getting shut of people before the 2 year mark then rehiring them at a later date, presumably to stop them from gaining employment rights. Not the same as your situation because it's basic factory work in a high unemployment area so they're never going to be short of candidates, but companies do things for some odd reasons sometimes.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is a hard lesson to learn but everyone is expendable. Try to think of this in the positive: You can now avoid wasting time in a company where advancement was never a possibility.

I am sure you have useful, transferable skills. The next opportunity may be more interesting, who knows? Onwards and upwards and keep your chin up!
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Was the second promotion the problem? Was the good work that you had done while you were in the other positions, and they felt you weren't working out in the new one?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    OK, you didn't mention that they had given you a reason. How long had you been working since the second promotion and was the reason related to the work you had done since?
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Tell them you're planning to give 'end of contract' as your reason for leaving and check they'll do them same. From the sounds if it they won't object. It's not untrue and it sounds better. You're not going to have to give a load of detail in an interview if you have a decent reference. You can quickly turn any questions about the last job into opportunities to say how much you learned, how excited you are for the bigger brighter future etc. An unemployed job applicant is not a shocking thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure