Buying TV from curry's online with gift card

I am looking to buy a sony tv which costs just over £1500. I can get a curry's gift card via my employer scheme with 7% discount.

I'm hence thinking of purchasing a gift card for the exact value of the TV and then using it in full online to place an order. The catch is that after buying the gift card I cannot ask for it to be converted back to cash and I don't want to be lumbered with a gift card for a shop I hardly use.

Has anyone done something similar? Any trouble with using gift card for online orders?

(If it makes any difference the TV is available online but it says 10-21 days delivery time)

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    From their website - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gift-vouchers-1030-theme.html

All of our gift cards can be redeemed in store or online. During the checkout process under the gift card section you will be asked to enter your gift card number and pin.
    The first 6 digits of your gift card number will be pre populated. You will need to enter the remaining digits as shown left. Scratch off the silver foil to reveal your gift card pin number
    Once you have inputted your gift card number and pin and selected add, your available balance to use will be displayed. You can amend the balance by clicking edit.
    If you don't use the full value of your gift card, the remaining balance will be left on your card. The expiry period for the card is detailed on the reverse of the card. See below for terms and conditions for your card.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I wouldn't buy a TV from Curry's even if the discount was more than just £105.

Have you checked the price of the same TV from, say, John Lewis?

We recently bought a TV from John Lewis - same price as Curry's, but JL came with a 5 year warranty whereas Curry's was only 2 years. Next day delivery, too.
  • astreix
    astreix Posts: 237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't buy a TV from Curry's even if the discount was more than just £105.

Have you checked the price of the same TV from, say, John Lewis?

We recently bought a TV from John Lewis - same price as Curry's, but JL came with a 5 year warranty whereas Curry's was only 2 years. Next day delivery, too.

The TV (KD-65XE9005) comes with 5 year Sony warranty and is the same price across all retailers. Usually I would buy from John lewis or richer sound, but given warranty is similar looking for the cheapest price
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    astreix wrote: »
    The TV (KD-65XE9005) comes with 5 year Sony warranty and is the same price across all retailers. Usually I would buy from John lewis or richer sound, but given warranty is similar looking for the cheapest price

OK, but as Curry's don't appear to have it in stock (10 to 21 days waiting time), there's always the danger that they won't be able to get it and will 'refund' you to your gift card.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Only issue is what's already been mentioned.

If it's in stock at say JL then buy from there, you could chance it and use your gift card to buy it and see if they do get stock in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure