Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • richierich007
    • By richierich007 14th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    • 44Posts
    • 6Thanks
    richierich007
    endowment claim
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    endowment claim 14th Mar 18 at 12:04 AM
    hi again all
    question here (and before anyone jumps on my back i was young and daft at the time we all been there)

i took out a endowment mortgage 1990, i couldnt keep the payments up on the endowment and after a couple of years in,
    end of the policy was a payout a few thousands and that went straight to the mortgage company

even though i didnt keep the payments up do i have a claim for mis selling

thanks for any advice
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Mar 18, 6:31 AM
    • 9,608 Posts
    • 10,687 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:31 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:31 AM
    No you do not.
    In any case, if you couldn't keep the payments up on an endowment, which would would have been cheaper than a repayment, then you would have suffered worse with a repayment.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 93,050 Posts
    • 60,443 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    even though i didnt keep the payments up do i have a claim for mis selling
    No. multiple issues.

1 - if you had a repayment mortgage and had not kept up payments on that, you would have lost the house. So having the split actually benefitted you.
    2 - endowments didnt fall short until 1999-2001. Yours was long before that.
    3 - You had MIRAS back then and that made endowment mortgages better due to tax relief. MIRAS was abolished in 2000.
    4- you actually havent given any reason for complaint. You cant just claim on a whim. There has to be reason
    5 - This one trumps all the above. You are timebarred. It is more than 6 years after the sale of the product and more than 3 years from being reasonably aware of an issue. (and shortfalls hadnt even started back then)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,637Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin