Agreement/Decision in Principle

Options
Hi all

My partner and I are starting our search for our first him together. We haven’t yet been to see a mortgage advisor etc but have gotten an agreement in principle online from a bank. My question is, how accurate are these online and do they take into consideration your credit history etc.. are they a good indication?

Comments

• amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They are not something that should be undertaken to ‘test the water’.

Get some professional advice.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    If your circumstances are not simple then you might want to see a broker.
    If they are, then using lenders online calculators should give you a reasonable estimate.
    The application for AIP will now appear in your history so do not apply for any more until you find a property you want to offer on.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    AIPs can either be 100% spot on or not worth the paper they are printed on.

If you enter anything incorrectly (or not as the lender would want you to enter it - the big one here is things like bonuses/overtime/tax credits) they can be worthless. Likewise, if there is only a soft credit check or worse still non at all - they are worthless.

Dont get multiple AIPs, if they do involve a credit check, you could be shooting yourself in the foot.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure