Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 13th Mar 18, 5:17 AM
    • 1,395Posts
    • 19,575Thanks
    dumpling
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 13th March
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:17 AM
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 13th March 13th Mar 18 at 5:17 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Page 1
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 13th Mar 18, 5:26 AM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 19,575 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:26 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:26 AM
    Good morning everyone

I ended up going to bed at 8pm last night as I couldn't keep my eyes open so I was up bright and early this morning so I thought I would start us all off.

Good to hear that Holly is feeling a bit more positive. Hopefully she will improve enough to be home soon.

Today Becky has an appointment with the early psychosis team so I am hoping that it will go well. She has not been very co operative with them so far and I think it is partly a personality clash. Hopefully she will be more open to listening to what they have to say today.

I am hoping that my friend will come and see me today as well. I will give her a ring once it is a more reasonable time in the morning and see if she fancies a coffee.

The next four days of dinner are cooked and in the fridge so I don't have to worry. I made a moroccan fish stew last night which was really nice and fairly low calorie. Tonight we are having lamb tagine from the Hairy Dieter's first book. I have bought all of their books but this is the one I keep going back to.

I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th Mar 18, 5:41 AM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 46,079 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:41 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:41 AM
    Morning All

Goodness me dumpling, you are organised. Your meals sound lovely.
    Hugs to you MM.

I've beaten the alarm this morning, lunch is packed up and washing folded. DW on, hoping it's finished before I leave at 6.30.

Went back to Ikea with a shelf unit I bought on Sunday as I couldn't get the holes to match up, started to show the chap and lo and behold they did! We had a good laugh at my stupidity, the offending little shelf unit is now built and in the hall.

I made a mahoosive sweet potato curry for dinner and have enough for all week I think. At least all the veggies lurking in the bottom of the fridge have been used up.

There is a baby shower after work for a colleague, I really don't agree with them but don't want to look like an oddball so will go along for a while. May go to the cinema after.

Have a good day everyone, take care. XX
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 13th Mar 18, 6:02 AM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 19,052 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:02 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:02 AM
    Morning all, it is somehow very quiet here. I can usually hear road noise and squabbling birds but so far, no sounds. Not raining and the weatherman says it should be a dry day. Nice for me as although I'll be at the office this morning, I'll be out and about later in the day.

Good news about Holly, thank you Nelski.

I came down this morning and things looked different. I think I'd got so used to a sitting room full of cases and now they have gone, thank goodness for that.

I need to eat my breakfast and get my ancient arris in gear. Hope everyone has a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 13th Mar 18, 6:27 AM
    • 3,062 Posts
    • 42,147 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:27 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:27 AM
    Morning everyone

dumpling - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, wet underfoot, loads of laying water still, it's been raining most of the night, forecast says we should have some time today when it's not raining - we'll see.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was smoked sausage, salami and mushroom pasta in a creme fraiche sauce, menfolk had a breaded chicken portion with theirs. The salami was a LO bit that DS1 had used for a soup he had made - made a nice change in the pasta and gave it a nice kick without being too hot. Tonight we'll be having fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

Yesterday work started off slow but was then horrendous, and stayed like it all day - today will be the same and the forseeable future as the new bills and new financial year benefit letters are hitting the mats, lots of unhappy customers.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 13th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    • 3,979 Posts
    • 27,212 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    Morning folks and thanks DUMPLING for the early start. Gosh everyone being so productive with meal making etc is putting me to shame!

Had a lovely second half of my birthday yesterday, after the funeral in the morning. Though a compliment I got from a friend of my SIL made my day! SIL wished me a HB and said what does it feel like to be 72? Her friend (62 the same age as her) said you don't look 72 I always thought you were the same age as us!! Ha I wish but it really cheered me up!

Got to Betty's as planned and deliberately left it till mid afternoon, thinking it would have quietened off. Not so, we still had a little wait for a table. Worth the wait though as the food was gorgeous and the dessert goodies scrumptious, all eaten in elegant surroundings with smart and helpful waitresses. (I won't mention the bill!!) ROSYRED the Ilkley Betty's has been there quite some years. Last year whilst visiting Northallerton we were surprised to find one there too!

Back to the norm today. I have to have a blood test before my appointment next week so plan on having that today and we may fit in a bit of shopping too as we can't go Thursday, our usual day. Our Aldi is closed for a refurb and re-shuffle round so the big decision is do we go to the next town for their Aldi or just bob into Sainsbobs as not much is needed.

I STILL haven't tidied the freezers out so that is a must do job before going shopping to see if anything, other than frozen peas, is needed out there. I shall christen today's meals at the same time.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) where wanted/needed. NELSKI thank you for your updates on HOLLY, much appreciated by us all. It sounds as though things are on the up after the debacle of the section. Such a shame a solicitor has had to be involved though to get things sorted out. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Mar 18, 6:47 AM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 40,633 Thanks
    Gers
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:47 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:47 AM
    Good morning all.

Thanks for the thread dumpling I hope all goes well today.

My quiet day yesterday was lovely and quiet. After work I did a small shop and, once home, unpacked my new kitchen gadget. Itís not as big as I feared but I will clear out the cupboard under the oven to get it in there and off the worktop.

After work (one student for two hours over video) Iím having a hair cut, at last. Iím not having it cut so much in winter which means that after six weeks itís a bit wild.

I hope everyone is doing well. Happy Tuesday.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 13th Mar 18, 7:18 AM
    • 6,677 Posts
    • 93,013 Thanks
    redruby
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:18 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:18 AM
    Morning all

Looks to be a nice day so far I think the sun may make an appearance today with any luck.

Off to work for me today but dd's boyf worked nights last night and is staying here for us today to let the door man in, the lock seems to have gone on the front door so we re having to come and go through the back door, hopefully it will get fixed today.

Not sure about dinner tonight there is some breaded chicken in the fridge so might do that with some wedges and peas.

I have a dr appointment on Friday, Im going to ask for some blood tests as to why I feel so tired and generally rotten all the time im sleeping at the very least nine / ten hours a night and am always tired ! I feel like im dragging myself through life atm and don't have any energy, so hopefully he can find some answers for me.

Topsy nice to see you hope your ds is ok xx

Hugs to Holly x

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 25,722 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Dumpling, hope Becky gets on ok today.

Yesterdayís shopping trip was reasonably productive, I did replace my lidded casserole dish, the new one is slightly bigger at 3.6l but perfect for batch cooking. We also picked up a toaster, my the price of some of them, nearly £200 but eagle eyed Joe here spotted the reduced section in JL and picked up one for £20. I checked it over carefully and the lady on the till said they were returns from online sales and they are still covered by the usual guarantee, result.
    We then had a coffee which was fatal as all we wanted to do then was go home, an hours shopping is just about all we can take!

Not masses planned for today, it rained all yesterday afternoon so will get over the yard and exercise Lu, tea will be tuna pasta bake so easy peasy.

It was good to hear more positive news from Holly, thanks Nelski, glad you enjoyed your birthday tea TA.
    Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Mar 18, 8:40 AM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 15,450 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

As anticipated, yesterday, after work, I played 2 x games of football, quickly followed by a shower and a late (healthy) dinner.

This morning in the gym I managed to hurt my arm, left bicep to be specific. Feels like a constant dead arm, a really painful distraction. Just taken a couple of painkillers and I'm sure I'll be sound as a pound in no time.

No plans this evening, although now that I say it, I may do some tidying around the flat. Not that it's in desperate need or anything.

TA - Glad you had a lovely birthday. The afternoon does sound delish.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 13th Mar 18, 8:49 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 20,071 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one, a special big one for Nelski for keeping us up to date with Holly. I really hope that things will get sorted soon and she will be able to go home.

Up and at 'em, I still have last weeks sheets to iron, so better get on and get them done.

Appointment with Dr last night, blood tests all ok. Tiredness is due to the stress of looking after OH........so guess that will never change, apart from the 'itch' he is ok for now. As he gets older we seem to be lurching more from one thing to another with him.

DD2 had her stitches out yesterday, she said she was a bit better going out, but still does not like to be in crowds.

It poured with rain all day yesterday, the roads were awash with water when I went to the Drs. its dry this morning so far, how long it will last is another question, the sky is very dark.

Mac and cheese tonight with salad I think, have a basket full of salad stuff in the fridge. fresh fruit for dessert.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 13th Mar 18, 9:10 AM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 21,189 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,

I'm on here early for me today but DS1 had to be in South Manchester early and set off at 5.50,I heard his car . Despite being up earlier than usual I haven't done the dogwalking as I'm waiting for it to stop raining,it was meant to be nice today so I washed my hair and blowdried.If I go out now it'll look like rats tails in no time.

TA- glad you really enjoyed your 'Betty's'.Perhaps we'll give the Ilkley one a try some time if I can ever persuade DH to retire!

Gers- I was shifting my kitchen gadgets around in cupboards yesterday too .

I'm putting a big mixer in the loft today.I rarely make cakes these days unless its with the grandkids and I have a handmixer if necessary.Some years ago I bought a Ken Wood prospero which is a stainless steel look stand mixer but you can put a blender and a food processor in the top. The blender handle is coming away from the body though it works ok in the slot,I just had an elastic band to secure it,& the food processor has plastic bits broken off round the lid ,or I would sell it.Given that its not had a great deal of use its a bit disappointing.

DS2 enjoyed his buddha bowl type lunch at work yesterday so he's gone off with another but the same meal-I need to do some different varieties.
    Dumpling well done on your meal prep
    Nelski-good to know Holly was a bit brighter last night.

Well I can see a bit of blue sky now so will finish my tea and get my coat on,though said pooch is snoring away on the rug
    Have a nice day x
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 16,126 Posts
    • 70,164 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

bit of a late starter for me, or an early one i havent quite made up my mind yet. Both Youngest and i were drinking coffee at 4am. I woke up coughing, could hear Youngest coughing and shuffling round his bed so i came down and made us a drink. Loaded the washer at the same time (pity i forgot to turn it on but never mind).

Youngest managed to get up for work.

Grump has made an emergency Drs. appointment for himself in Wales. He's probably sick of me nagging but he has lost his voice and says he felt dizzy in the night. He's on street lighting around the school now and he really isnt well enough to be out in the cold and rain.

House is a sty, anyone would think i'd had a pack of hounds run through it. I'll get round to it at some point.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Elona
    • By Elona 13th Mar 18, 10:28 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    Elona
    Sending positive vibes for Holly and hope she is home soon and feeling safe.

The last three days have been quite busy so I am having a lazy morning but need to get myself up and dressed as a grocery delivery is due. I want to try out my new pressure cooker and make chicken soup later
    and also get round to making a start on shortening the living room curtains.

csarina
    Are there any relaxation or meditation exercises you could do to help feel less stressed?

After pouring with rain all day yesterday it looks much nicer now so might even get some washing hung outside.

Hugs to all.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 40,633 Thanks
    Gers
    Neither of my students turned up this morning, one let me know and the other didn't bother! At least it gave me some quiet time, very quiet. And I managed to change my hair appointment so I didn't have to hang around.

My clearing out the bottom cupboard has turned into a mammoth task. I've moved on to the top cupboard which was worse. The two kitchen drawers which were dumping grounds are now pristine. Why do we keep so many unwanted items??

The joy was in finding my hidden / lost stash of sour jellybeans. They were just chucked into the back of the bottom cupboard sometime last year and I couldn't find them. The joy of finding was doubled by the joy of eating some.

Elona / csarina the local NHS service here has a free Wave of Relaxation programme. It's a video first with instructions which are followed every day (don't need the video after a few times). A reminder text is sent every day at a time specified by each user. I find it very useful when times are stressful, like last weekend. Maybe it could be worth asking at your surgery?
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 40,633 Thanks
    Gers
    Just dug up some more info on the relaxation programme - the texts are sent by an NHS information text system called Florence, Flo for short.

Flo is provided for you by your local NHS healthcare provider in partnership with NHS Stoke on Trent Clinical Commissioning Group and Mediaburst Limited
    Must be a UK wide initiative then.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 13th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    • 3,646 Posts
    • 45,455 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Afternoon all

Thanks for the thread Dumpling, hugs to all those in need.

The car has been repaired, £50 so not too bad, I babysat from 9 until 1 today, I'm now home and have the immersion on so I can have a shower in a sec.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 16,126 Posts
    • 70,164 Thanks
    Judi
    Appointment with Dr last night, blood tests all ok. Tiredness is due to the stress of looking after OH........so guess that will never change, apart from the 'itch' he is ok for now. As he gets older we seem to be lurching more from one thing to another with him.
    My neighbour 4 doors up in sole carer of her husband. Hes been a diabetic since early childhood and they are both in their 70s now. Her youngest son was diabetic from an early age too so so she has been used to caring for people since she married in her 20s.

Now her husband has had his leg amputated and has regular visits from the nurses/doctors/ambulance service. She only goes out when she has to and as bad as life is for her at the moment, her husband snaps, snarles and yells at her. He's always been a bit quick tempered but his temper has got worse since his amputation. Ive heard him screaming all sorts at her as the ambulance service have taken him to A and E..... Then i start thinking, Grump isnt exactly easy to live with either and he is fit and well.....Changing the subject before i scare myself to death with a bad case of 'what ifs?'.... Grump has been to the doctors, high dose antibiotics, an inhaler and steroids have been prescribed. Being in Wales, he didnt have to pay! It ought to be like that here!

Hester Glad your car didnt cost you a fortune to put right. Enjoy your shower.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    • 15,894 Posts
    • 134,731 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi chums I had to pop in and share some good news for a change.

Life has been quite sad just lately in our family and with two funerals to go to in the past couple of weeks its seemed really a rotten start to the year, but at lunchtime my youngest DD told me that my son-in-law, who is such a lovely chap has gained a 'first' in his part time civil engineering Uni course he has been doing it for almost 5 years, apart from helping to raise the family and both her and him work full time and quite long hours

I am so pleased for them, and so proud, as he is 48, and although very bright, isn't good with people, and so has stayed in his job simply because it paid the bills, and has been there for 30 years having not been able to go to Uni when he was younger, as his Mum had pushed of with another bloke, so he took over looking after his younger brother and sister while his Dad worked.

I couldn't be more proud of him than if he was my own son, bless him so I have just been to the shops and bought a nice 'well done 'card and will put a bit inside so he can treat himself.

He spends all his time and money looking after the family and never spends anything on himself, to him the children, and my DD are his whole life, and he worships her and adores the kids.

A truly smashing bloke who has had to work as well as study and he deserves his 'first' as to us all he is a number one chap.

I just can't stop smiling well done Simon,you are a star

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 16,126 Posts
    • 70,164 Thanks
    Judi
    Hi chums I had to pop in and share some good news for a change.

Life has been quite sad just lately in our family and with two funerals to go to in the past couple of weeks its seemed really a rotten start to the year, but at lunchtime my youngest DD told me that my son-in-law, who is such a lovely chap has gained a 'first' in his part time civil engineering Uni course he has been doing it for almost 5 years, apart from helping to raise the family and both her and him work full time and quite long hours

I am so pleased for them, and so proud, as he is 48, and although very bright, isn't good with people, and so has stayed in his job simply because it paid the bills, and has been there for 30 years having not been able to go to Uni when he was younger, as his Mum had pushed of with another bloke, so he took over looking after his younger brother and sister while his Dad worked.

I couldn't be more proud of him than if he was my own son, bless him so I have just been to the shops and bought a nice 'well done 'card and will put a bit inside so he can treat himself.

He spends all his time and money looking after the family and never spends anything on himself, to him the children, and my DD are his whole life, and he worships her and adores the kids.

A truly smashing bloke who has had to work as well as study and he deserves his 'first' as to us all he is a number one chap.

I just can't stop smiling well done Simon,you are a star

JackieO xxx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Well done Simon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,354Posts Today

6,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin