Tricky Interest Only Conundrum!

Options
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

My partners' parents bought a flat for him which is paid for outright however his parents have taken out a 10yr interest only mortgage for £60k on their own property to do this and no one is saving for the capital which means the flat would need to be sold to pay of the £60k in 10 yrs time or in the event of his father passing (lets hope thats not the scenario!). This has come to light as my partner was planning to move in with me and then all this came out. We were planning to use the flat rental money to buy a boat and go on an adventure! He is currently paying his parents £150 a month which we now understand is paying the interest only monthly fee.

I think it makes sense to see what we can do and hold on to the flat for long term security/pension. My partner is unlikely to get a mortgage so that won't work. I have a mortgage on my flat for £132k (valued at £185k) and I earn £37k maybe I could get another mortgage? Would it need to be a BTL, then where do I stand in terms of tax? Could his parents get a repayment mortgage that we pay - his dad is 74. The flat in question is valued at £125k. Or do we just start putting money aside and pay the interest only as well if we can? Not sure what makes most financial sense. However neither of us really want to be tied to using all our earnings to pay for the £60k over the next 8-10 years.

Thank you all thoughts appreciated, I'm not very good at finance!!
Dx

Comments

• TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you don't want to be restricted through needing to raise loan repayments, why not sell the flat and give his parents the money back? I'm afraid I don't follow your reasoning of wanting to keep it if it will be a burden.
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Assuming the flat is in your partners name, the best way it would seem is for him to get a £60k Mortgage on the flat and pay his parents off.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Your partners parents are too old to get another mortgage. I am amazed they got an interest only one too as they are difficult to come by now.

I am not a lover of BTL so personally would sell it.

The only way you could raise the money is either for your partner to take a mortgage out on the flat to repay the £60k on his parents mortgage but you say he cannot get a mortgage. Why not?

If you raise the money on your property you will need some safeguards in place so you need legal advice on this. Maybe a charge on his mortgage free flat? Your lender may not be willing to lend for this purpose though so you may need to change lenders. Your partner moving in with you has its own issues too though so again legal advice is recommended as he may have a claim on your property.

All in all it is not simple unless you just sell the flat and repay the £60k to your partners parents and use the balance to either invest or use to buy a boat
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    debsyb23 wrote: »

My partners' parents bought a flat for him which is paid for outright however his parents have taken out a 10yr interest only mortgage for £60k on their own property to do this and no one is saving for the capital which means the flat would need to be sold to pay of the £60k in 10 yrs time or in the event of his father passing (lets hope thats not the scenario!). This has come to light as my partner was planning to move in with me and then all this came out. We were planning to use the flat rental money to buy a boat and go on an adventure! He is currently paying his parents £150 a month which we now understand is paying the interest only monthly fee.

I think it makes sense to see what we can do and hold on to the flat for long term security/pension. My partner is unlikely to get a mortgage so that won't work. I have a mortgage on my flat for £132k (valued at £185k) and I earn £37k maybe I could get another mortgage? Would it need to be a BTL, then where do I stand in terms of tax? Could his parents get a repayment mortgage that we pay - his dad is 74. The flat in question is valued at £125k. Or do we just start putting money aside and pay the interest only as well if we can? Not sure what makes most financial sense. However neither of us really want to be tied to using all our earnings to pay for the £60k over the next 8-10 years.

Dx

Use it to start overpaying the debt if you want to keep the flat.

What sort of boat you could have got for an adventure with £300-£400pm?
  • fewcloudy
    fewcloudy Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    debsyb23 wrote: »

Dx

So you two have a flat (that is already worth £125k) but need to pay 60k toward it, and over 10 years? You also want a boat/adventure, and you want a pension.

Maybe you need to prioritise which of these things comes first and how much you are both prepared/able to pay toward this each month.
    Feb 2008, 20year lifetime tracker with "Sproggit and Sylvester"... 0.14% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage...base was 5.5% in 2008...but not for long. Credit to my mortgage broker
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The parents have the option of taking an equity release mortgage in 10 years time. May effect the inheritance in the future, but it would enable you to have your cake and eat it.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 March 2018 at 7:17PM
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    The parents have the option of taking an equity release mortgage in 10 years time. May effect the inheritance in the future, but it would enable you to have your cake and eat it.

Seems a bit cautious and won't buy a boat right now which is obviously important,you can hardly expect them to wait ?!

How about parents sell house, pay off flat, move into flat and give the money to kids to enable a decent boat.
    And if kids run out of money they can wire back to parents who each have a spare kidney that's probably worth a fair bit.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    I am reminded of the scene in the Shawshank Redemption where the guard is complaining about the tax he will have to pay on his windfall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure