Unethical or expected re sales roles

I have a current dilemma in that I have started working for a company a few months ago as a sales admin person who is responsible for ensuring sales contracts are set up on the system accurately.

I was given training on the companies credit policy, pricing parameters and policies and procedures.

I am finding out that the sales people are kind of doing their own thing and manipulate customers into what's best for them commission wise and clawback wise , contracts are sent through in a shocking state , incomplete, wrong or missing information. Processes are bypassed and sales data manipulated.

There are so many things wrong and I'm worried I'm complicit in this even though the sales manager is aware and autho's it. As you can imagine the size of his bonus is dependant on the sales figures and whilst none of it is illegal it is costing the company money.

I work alone so there is no-one I can talk to about this. We do not deal with any regulatory body as our products are not financial etc , we sell drinks products and coffee machines and we don't seem to have auditors visit either.

What shall I do ? are all sales people like this ?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BBH123 wrote: »
    I have a current dilemma in that I have started working for a company a few months ago as a sales admin person who is responsible for ensuring sales contracts are set up on the system accurately.

I was given training on the companies credit policy, pricing parameters and policies and procedures.

I am finding out that the sales people are kind of doing their own thing and manipulate customers into what's best for them commission wise and clawback wise , contracts are sent through in a shocking state , incomplete, wrong or missing information. Processes are bypassed and sales data manipulated.

There are so many things wrong and I'm worried I'm complicit in this even though the sales manager is aware and autho's it. As you can imagine the size of his bonus is dependant on the sales figures and whilst none of it is illegal it is costing the company money.

I work alone so there is no-one I can talk to about this. We do not deal with any regulatory body as our products are not financial etc , we sell drinks products and coffee machines and we don't seem to have auditors visit either.

I don't understand you said theres credit involved, how can you not be regulated?
  • Well it seems to be an internal credit policy as there has never been a mention of us being regulated by anyone but yes as credit agreements are set up you would imagine we should be .
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Well it seems to be an internal credit policy as there has never been a mention of us being regulated by anyone but yes as credit agreements are set up you would imagine we should be .

Is it business to business?

Ignoring the credit aspect for a minute. If it's b2b then there is no question of ethics. They should know better
  • I'm not sure its business to business, they are clients who run businesses but found just as you normally find customers.

We are regulated I've just google searched.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Just do your job, cover you @r$e and keep your head down... Or leave, your call. Try working in telecoms in a similar role; downright miss-selling and I was one of the muppets who had to explain to customers that what they had been promised was at best impossible in the time/at that cost and, at worst, did not exist.

Not your worry; just make sure you can prove innocence of any wrongdoing at all times (emails are good for this) Otherwise, it's "he said, she said" and you will be the lowest hanging fruit; the cannon fodder.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I'm not sure its business to business, they are clients who run businesses but found just as you normally find customers.

We are regulated I've just google searched.

That sounds like business to business...
  • BBH123 wrote: »

It’s the situation.

Imagine a sales person who has their old school insurance sales type boss hovering over them, regularly during the course of a day, not just ask once but a few times how many sales has been got. Not everyone has cosy 1 to 1’s.

The boss who is temporary themselves and also judged on targets met. So it’s a hard line.

Fortunately or unfortunately, each campaign there is a different person that does my role, so that can create confusion.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    In my experience, yes, all sales people are like this. Those who are not, those who have some integrity, tend not to last long.

OH used to sell double-glazing back in the mists of time and long before we met. I would never dream of letting one of those anywhere near me. He had to quit because, in his own words, he was "not enough of a b@st@rd" to make a career of it.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    are all sales people like this ?

Pretty much most of them, yes.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Smodlet wrote: »
    In my experience, yes, all sales people are like this. Those who are not, those who have some integrity, tend not to last long.

OH used to sell double-glazing back in the mists of time and long before we met. I would never dream of letting one of those anywhere near me. He had to quit because, in his own words, he was "not enough of a b@st@rd" to make a career of it.

Hmm... I think you're being a bit harsh. I work in sales (and always have) and I always operated with absolute honesty - and I do very well. Then again, I've never worked in an aggressive sales environment where no-one cares about the customer...

I'll forgive your harshness though as I did like your lyrical response to 'blueandwhiterose'... :-D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure