Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 12th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 687Posts
    • 1,296Thanks
    BBH123
    Unethical or expected re sales roles
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    Unethical or expected re sales roles 12th Mar 18 at 10:47 AM
    I have a current dilemma in that I have started working for a company a few months ago as a sales admin person who is responsible for ensuring sales contracts are set up on the system accurately.

I was given training on the companies credit policy, pricing parameters and policies and procedures.

I am finding out that the sales people are kind of doing their own thing and manipulate customers into what's best for them commission wise and clawback wise , contracts are sent through in a shocking state , incomplete, wrong or missing information. Processes are bypassed and sales data manipulated.

There are so many things wrong and I'm worried I'm complicit in this even though the sales manager is aware and autho's it. As you can imagine the size of his bonus is dependant on the sales figures and whilst none of it is illegal it is costing the company money.

I work alone so there is no-one I can talk to about this. We do not deal with any regulatory body as our products are not financial etc , we sell drinks products and coffee machines and we don't seem to have auditors visit either.

What shall I do ? are all sales people like this ?
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    3700/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - £1 a day challenge
    #15 120/365
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    I have a current dilemma in that I have started working for a company a few months ago as a sales admin person who is responsible for ensuring sales contracts are set up on the system accurately.

I was given training on the companies credit policy, pricing parameters and policies and procedures.

I am finding out that the sales people are kind of doing their own thing and manipulate customers into what's best for them commission wise and clawback wise , contracts are sent through in a shocking state , incomplete, wrong or missing information. Processes are bypassed and sales data manipulated.

There are so many things wrong and I'm worried I'm complicit in this even though the sales manager is aware and autho's it. As you can imagine the size of his bonus is dependant on the sales figures and whilst none of it is illegal it is costing the company money.

I work alone so there is no-one I can talk to about this. We do not deal with any regulatory body as our products are not financial etc , we sell drinks products and coffee machines and we don't seem to have auditors visit either.

Originally posted by BBH123
    I don't understand you said theres credit involved, how can you not be regulated?
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 12th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 687 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    BBH123
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    Well it seems to be an internal credit policy as there has never been a mention of us being regulated by anyone but yes as credit agreements are set up you would imagine we should be .
    3700/ 10000

#15 120/365
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    Well it seems to be an internal credit policy as there has never been a mention of us being regulated by anyone but yes as credit agreements are set up you would imagine we should be .

Is it business to business?

Ignoring the credit aspect for a minute. If it's b2b then there is no question of ethics. They should know better
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 12th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 687 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    BBH123
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    I'm not sure its business to business, they are clients who run businesses but found just as you normally find customers.

We are regulated I've just google searched.
    3700/ 10000

#15 120/365
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    Just do your job, cover you @r$e and keep your head down... Or leave, your call. Try working in telecoms in a similar role; downright miss-selling and I was one of the muppets who had to explain to customers that what they had been promised was at best impossible in the time/at that cost and, at worst, did not exist.

Not your worry; just make sure you can prove innocence of any wrongdoing at all times (emails are good for this) Otherwise, it's "he said, she said" and you will be the lowest hanging fruit; the cannon fodder.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 12th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 5,920 Posts
    • 12,578 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    I'm not sure its business to business, they are clients who run businesses but found just as you normally find customers.

We are regulated I've just google searched.
    That sounds like business to business...
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:26 PM

Itís the situation.

Imagine a sales person who has their old school insurance sales type boss hovering over them, regularly during the course of a day, not just ask once but a few times how many sales has been got. Not everyone has cosy 1 to 1ís.

The boss who is temporary themselves and also judged on targets met. So itís a hard line.

Fortunately or unfortunately, each campaign there is a different person that does my role, so that can create confusion.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    In my experience, yes, all sales people are like this. Those who are not, those who have some integrity, tend not to last long.

OH used to sell double-glazing back in the mists of time and long before we met. I would never dream of letting one of those anywhere near me. He had to quit because, in his own words, he was "not enough of a b@st@rd" to make a career of it.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    pmduk
    are all sales people like this ?
    Pretty much most of them, yes.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 12th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Ja7188
    In my experience, yes, all sales people are like this. Those who are not, those who have some integrity, tend not to last long.

OH used to sell double-glazing back in the mists of time and long before we met. I would never dream of letting one of those anywhere near me. He had to quit because, in his own words, he was "not enough of a b@st@rd" to make a career of it.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Hmm... I think you're being a bit harsh. I work in sales (and always have) and I always operated with absolute honesty - and I do very well. Then again, I've never worked in an aggressive sales environment where no-one cares about the customer...

I'll forgive your harshness though as I did like your lyrical response to 'blueandwhiterose'... :-D
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 12th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Ja7188

Get the hell out of there as soon as you can. If you rock the boat (and I do appreciate why you want to), you'll probably be branded a nuisance and pushed out in very short order...!
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 12th Mar 18, 8:53 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    BBH123
    Thanks all for your thoughts.

I've decided to look for alternative employment.
    3700/ 10000

#15 120/365
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Mar 18, 4:12 AM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Hmm... I think you're being a bit harsh. I work in sales (and always have) and I always operated with absolute honesty - and I do very well. Then again, I've never worked in an aggressive sales environment where no-one cares about the customer...

I'll forgive your harshness though as I did like your lyrical response to 'blueandwhiterose'... :-D
    Originally posted by Ja7188
    You read that, huh?

I know not all sales environments are at the sharp end; double glazing is probably the nadir of ethical selling, to be fair. It does not sound as if drinks machines or whatever the OP's firm sells are particularly scrupulous though. Telecoms and energy firms are not much better than double glazing imho so maybe the OP could avoid those environments.

Good luck, BBH123.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,964Posts Today

4,330Users online

Martin's Twitter