Natwest - closed mortgage. Can i claim?

Options
I have a letter from Natwest about my closed (2012) mortgage, stating that I have been affected by their failings, regarding payments would have gone go past my retirement age (65). Thus affecting whether it was affordable repayment after retirement. I haven't head of this before. Was Natwest onyl one who failed? The have sent me two letters, exactly one month apart. Do I call them / Is there something I can claim back. Has someone else gone down this road? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What do the letters say?

Have they asked you to call them? Or do they say that they are investigating the issue?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a letter from Natwest about my closed (2012) mortgage, stating that I have been affected by their failings, regarding payments would have gone go past my retirement age (65). Thus affecting whether it was affordable repayment after retirement. I haven't head of this before. Was Natwest onyl one who failed?

Natwest haven't failed either. The mortgage clerk that did it probably failed to add the sentence in their advice letter warning that the redemption date would take you past state pension age or didnt have a copy of your pension details on file to show affordability. So, they write out to you now.
    Is there something I can claim back.

No, you can look for your compensation chasing elsewhere. As the mortgage is closed, this potential issue turned out to be a non-issue as you will not now be borrowing money from Natwest into retirement.

They do not need to worry about affordability in retirement and you are not worse off because of a failing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cf247
    cf247 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    the second letter stats 'as we haven't heard from you, we're writing to you again to make sure you are aware of the opportunity to discuss any concerns you had about being able to afford your mortgage after retirement'

they then say at end of letter to contact them if I believe I may have incurred any additional costs as a result.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They normally write three times. You will get another soon.
    they then say at end of letter to contact them if I believe I may have incurred any additional costs as a result.

And as you haven't, there is no need to contact them.

Unless you somehow believe they have made you worse off.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure