New pension afer nhs

Hi i have 19years nhs pension and have started a new job. My contributions for nhs were £70 plus and now it's £5 from me and £8 from new employer. I can go up but it's not a company i picked so i was thinking of getting my own.
How much should i pay i am 44?
Many thanks
btd

Comments

• JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi i have 19years nhs pension and have started a new job. My contributions for nhs were £70 plus and now it's £5 from me and £8 from new employer. I can go up but it's not a company i picked so i was thinking of getting my own.
    Many thanks
    btd

How much do you need to retire on in 23 years? You will be getting a state pension so that is roughly £8,300 ish if you got full 35 years contribution but it is likely will be less as you was contracted out in NHS pension scheme. You also got guaranteed index-linked NHS pension as well. Add them together and see if it is enough. If not, save more, there is a pension calculator you can use to work how much contribution needed to get enough pension pot to get an annuity. https://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/interactive-calculators/pension-calculator

Needless to say, bear in mind that £70 in NHS pension worth a lot more so it is not a valid comparison.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Bear in mind that if you pick your own pension, your employer doesn't have to contribute to it. You may not have picked the scheme your employer currently offers, but if you decide to stay in that (to get the employer contribution) and take out another pension elsewhere, you won't necessarily fare any better than if you paid more into your employer's scheme. Check the charges carefully.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    £8 from new employer
    If you paid more than £5 would they pay more than £8?

Focus on optimising free money first.
  • I assume it means 5% and 8%? This is a pretty good offer, and if you take an outside one, you'll have basically the same investment choices but with only the 5%. It's a no-brainer.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    What annual pension and lump sum dies your most recent total reward statement from nhs pensions give?

How far short of your annual living costs is this?

Are your 19yrs all in the 1995 scheme?

At what age do you hope to retire?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • FatherAbraham
    FatherAbraham Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Many thanks
    btd

To get vaguely similar benefits to the NHS scheme via a personal pension, at age 44 you'll need contributions of about 30-33% of your salary.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport