Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Mar 18, 5:27 AM
    • 1,452Posts
    • 15,494Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Tuesday 6th March 2018
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:27 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 6th March 2018 6th Mar 18 at 5:27 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 6th Mar 18, 6:16 AM
    • 3,090 Posts
    • 42,601 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:16 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:16 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off, you've made a good step forward with cooking the chicken stew, remember baby steps x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly, he enjoyed his pancakes yesterday, he'll have to make do with cereal or toast this morning!

Now getting light, birds are singing, damp underfoot after last nights' rain, more forecast though, at least it's not so bitterly cold.

Dinner last night was fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, tonight was left blank on the menu sheet as I couldn't decide what to cook, so I didn't take any meat out of the freezer, so egg, bacon, sausage, black pud, beans and mushrooms it will be, I'll get chicken out tonight and do that tomorrow night with mash and veg.

Work yesterday was slow to start but then became quite busy, we had technology problems also, some phones didn't work some computers didn't work, some did, then those that did - didn't! Complete nightmare, makes the job harder than it already is, hoping today will be better.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • Gers
    • By Gers 6th Mar 18, 6:31 AM
    • 6,496 Posts
    • 41,347 Thanks
    Gers
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:31 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:31 AM
    Morning all.

We’re expecting rain today. Whilst the snow swerved past I don’t think the rain will.

There’s a weather expert saying that we should all expect more really bad snow storms around 17 March for about a week. He’s not a professional but seems to have forecast this past spell last year.

My night was undisturbed and peaceful though I woke to find an annoying email from my challenged student. I hope the rest of the day is not as annoying.

Teaching numeracy first thing, not my favourite topiic though it’s just two hours. I’ll survive.

I hope everyone is getting better or doing well. Happy Tuesday.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Mar 18, 6:36 AM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 46,373 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:36 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:36 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly and hugs to all those in need.

Mad rush this morning, dd2 is on a course they emailed her at 9:30 last night to say the creche wouldn't be open!

CHS needs dropping a work, the boat needs cleaning, the washing needs doing, I'm glad retirement is so restful!

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 6th Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    • 3,881 Posts
    • 46,830 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    Morning All

I'm surprised you ever had time to work HH!
    Hope all goes well today Holly.

It's sleeting this morning, hope that's all we have, everything seems to be thawing nicely.

It was good to get to work yesterday but was a bit challenging first thing, lots of children not in but mainly because their parents couldn't be bothered! My desk was like a scene from the Marie Celeste, all left abandoned from last week including a used coffee cup!

Washing to do tonight when I get in and the fire to clean out, I haven't used it during the cold spell as I was conserving fuel in case of power cuts. Managed to get some heat logs yesterday so will use it tonight.

My healthy eating went well yesterday, I'm using an app on my phone that counts calories, no surprise I have been putting on weight when you see it written down!

Hope you are all well, take care. XX
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 6th Mar 18, 6:59 AM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 19,662 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:59 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:59 AM
    Morning all, thank you for the thread Hollyharvey.

Today is a day off. I started the week with a lovely tidy sitting room, to the extent that DS commented on the clean, tidy room and how nice it looked. It no longer looks like that. We had to shift all sorts just to sit down and now he's sleeping and probably will sleep for a lot of today to ward off jet lag. So he won't be sorting out his stuff today. Oh well.

Yesterday I made the Monday equivalent of Sunday dinner, which is precisely the same but not eaten on a Sunday. Today it will be a beef casserole. Then OH can take over for a few days as I'll be working.

It is light now, not raining so far, I expect the clouds are having a little think before depositing their watery contents - we had a real downpour yesterday. Almost all the snow had gone by bedtime. I've not been out to see this morning.

I hope everyone has a good day. Hollyharvey, wishing you the best for your meeting.
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 06-03-2018 at 7:15 AM.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 6th Mar 18, 7:07 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 3,711 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:07 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:07 AM
    Morning all , and thanks Holly. It's pouring with rain here, but at least it's above freezing. The snow is disappearing nicely.

Yesterday I went to Book Group, and most of the group had turned up - I think people were stir crazy with being in so much because of the snow,

In the afternoon I made a cosy toe cover thing for the doll's buggy. I've only got one dress left to make, then the doll's wardrobe is complete, thank heavens. I bought some lovely fabric for 2 summer (summer? what's that) dresses for myself. I'll start those soon.

No Tai Chi today because I've got a doctors' appointment, but it's our quiz night tonight. It's also our local residents' group meeting, so we'll go to that for 7pm.

It will be interesting to see if the snow storms materialise around the 17th Gers, it might be winter's last blast.

Hope you all have a good day folks, take care whatever you are doing.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 6th Mar 18, 7:11 AM
    • 4,026 Posts
    • 28,000 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:11 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:11 AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. I hope today goes better than you are worrying about.

What a difference a day makes! Yesterday at this time we had deep snow, this morning nearly all gone! Due to yesterday's warmer temp and overnight rain. Still raining now with fog to go with it for good measure. GERS I read/heard somewhere about the snow returning on the 17th March too. About 5 years ago we were at the caravan for a few days in Spring like weather and on the 21st/ 22nd March we had the worst snow we'd had for years and ended up snowed in there for 4 days! Now we don't open up till March is out!

I have a doc's appointment this morning. Not out of choice! They rang to say I was due a medication review with a doctor. Why so caring all of a sudden, I suppose it must be something to do with funding! Most of the time it's nigh on impossible to get an appointment!

Afterwards we are carrying on to Aldi (and maybe Sainsbobs) for a much needed shop as we haven't done one for 2 weeks. Apart from the quick top up of dairy last Monday before the snow. I am hoping the shops will have calmed down by now after the weekend of panic buying. A friend said it was worse in Morrisons on Saturday than Xmas and a lot of the shelves bare. Crazy! Despite living from the freezers all last week, when we were snowbound, they are still well stocked but the fruit bowl and veg box are both empty. Just a few carrots and some sad looking celery and salad stuff in the fridge.

Time for another coffee and then better get my arris into gear. ((HUGS)) for all in need of them and take care all xxx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • tru
    • By tru 6th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 8,657 Posts
    • 44,756 Thanks
    tru
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    Morning

TravellingAbuela Dirk Gently is on Netflix, it came up as a suggestion because I've watched Stranger Things.
    Gers I've just realised there's been more than one production of the program – I'm watching the one starring Elijah Wood.
    LameWolf Thanks for that – I didn't realise there were books.
    whiteguineapig Drink some wine before you start watching

Hollyharvey I hope all goes well today xx

Gers I saw that weatherman on the news, just caught the end of it when I changed channel so I missed most of what he said. It'll be interesting to see if he's correct, do you know his name?

My tomato plants look a bit healthier, they're still a bit spindly but I think they'll be ok. The cucumber seedlings look nice and strong. I haven't had much luck with them for the past two years, hopefully these will do well.

I had so much energy yesterday, I got all of my jobs done and some of today's too I'll start a bit later today, I want to take Scampi out. He hasn't wanted to go out in the morning since the snow started (although he's had a great time in the snow later in the day – strange boy), he knows it's gone now but refuses to budge from the sofa! I don't have much computer stuff to do today, which is good because sitting in front of it yesterday made my hip stiff.

Bulletproof
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 6th Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 4,224 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning All,

All the snow has gone now , after yesterdays downpour.

Work today, then I will go and visit my mom. I did not get there last week, but I need to take more toiletries. I also need to let the home know that I will be taking mom out Saturday afternoon. I am going to bring to my house and have fish and chip supper.
    Gone are the days where I can take mom out on mothers day as it is so packed. I will take mom out to a restaurant again, but I have to have one with disabled facilities and a fairly quiet restaurant.

Will put the wm on at some point today.

HollyHarvey I hope your appointment goes well.

Have a good Tuesday xx
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Gers
    • By Gers 6th Mar 18, 7:41 AM
    • 6,496 Posts
    • 41,347 Thanks
    Gers
    Tru - he is called Dave King. His website is a bit rambly.

Dirk Gently
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently_(TV_series)
    Last edited by Gers; 06-03-2018 at 7:44 AM.
    • tru
    • By tru 6th Mar 18, 7:49 AM
    • 8,657 Posts
    • 44,756 Thanks
    tru
    Thank you Gers I'll have a look at his website later.

And now I want to watch the other series of Dirk Gently too Not at the same time - I'm confused enough already, lol.
    Bulletproof
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 6th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all DH has left for Italy so its just DS and me for the rest of the week . I may well start the pre holiday clean I woke up with nasty nightmares several times last night the first one i was driving DH car and the back end went on fire and the second one I went to my mums and Dolly ran off and i couldn't get her back ;(
    Dinner tonight will be whatever i fancy from the freezer
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 6th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 26,480 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Holly, hope today’s meeting proves to be positive for you x

Bit dull and dreary here today but so mild compared to a week ago, I hung my spring wreath on the door yesterday but hearing about Mr King wonder if have been a bit premature, oh well it is spring no matter what the weather
    I am going to see Lu this morning and will do some work with her in the school, then over to my niece this afternoon for a facial, my skin is dry and a bit red after last weeks weather so will be lovely to be pampered for a while.

Have a good day folks x
    • redruby
    • By redruby 6th Mar 18, 8:49 AM
    • 6,694 Posts
    • 93,325 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Lovely bright day here and guess who woke up before the alarm normally goes off ! still no matter I laid in bed reading my book and I've now got up because I have a yearning for Marmite on toast

Ive got to take my car back to the garage this morning for its first service I will wait for it as its quite a way away, my DD has the day off so will come with me, there is a range near there so we may walk to there to have a look round there is also a TK Maxx so will have a look in there, might get a spot of lunch out too.

Not sure about dinner if I get back in time I will do the leg of lamb that's in the fridge, if not I will do something from the freezer.

This afternoon will hopefully be a film and a nap on the sofa.

Marie I hope you are all ok and that your snow is starting to melt xx

Have good days all xx
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 15,757 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Urgh - more snow!

Morning all,

Yesterday evening, after work, I had only 1 game of footie, the other was cancelled due to a frozen pitch. Was in bed and snoozing for 9.30.

This morning I walked out the gym to see that the snow was falling, pretty heavily, again. I don't think it'll lie, and I'm hearing the forecast is for rain later, so that should hopefully wash it away.

I'm going to stay a little bit later at work tonight, some loose ends I need to work on. Omelette for dinner.

HH - Hope all goes well today.
    Camelot - What's the name of the app, out of curiosity?
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 6th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    poppy811
    Hi
    Holly hope your appointment goes well, sounds like you are achieving quite a lot with batch cooking, chores etc.

Upsetting news from ddl2. her Mum in New Zealand has had a big operation and 2 rounds of chemo for cancer and now there is a new pelvic mass and more lesions on the liver. All trying to work out the best way for DIL to go to NZ but with a 2 year old and 6 week old to factor in and DS2 starting a new job there are no easy answers. The journey is 34 hours and the cost is horrendous. Poor girl is so upset and worried all she wants is to go home and see her Mum.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 15,987 Posts
    • 135,683 Thanks
    JackieO
    Pssst its a glorious sunny spring like day here in Kent (sorry Speky ) the sun is out and its very mild and we are forecast 11-12c today which after last weeks dreadful snow is almost tropical.I have a U3A coffee morning to go to this morning and quiz night tonight so I am a happy old woman this morning as my life returns to normality again.I hate being tied indoors and a week is about as long as I can manage

Tomorrow I am off up to London to pick up my DD's ma-in-law Margaret and we are going to the cinema, then out for a meal afterwards. It will give her a boost after the past sad few months she has had.

I ring her daily to see what she has got arranged to do, and she is so far doing OK with the occasional bump in the road though. I know this morning she is going to the local pop-inparlour for a cuppa and a natter to her friends. Bless her she is 81 and doesn't drive so its important to keep her as mobile as possible and to get her having lots of interaction with other people, as being widowed can be a lonely road, and its easy to sit indoors and not bother to get out of the house.I know having been where she is now almost 15 years ago Its hard to suddenly be on your own.
    But she will get there (I'll make sure of that )

Right time to get a wriggle on as I have lots to do before I go to my coffee morning

Have a good day chums and I hope the sund soon comes to your area, its apparently 14 days until the start of spring

Cheers chums JackieO xxx

P.S. just seen your postpoppy811what a dreadful dilemma for your poor DDL2, can you not club together to get her home this Sunday is Mothering Sunday she will feel awful xxx
    Last edited by JackieO; 06-03-2018 at 9:42 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 6th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 20,571 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

The library van came yesterday. The chap who runs is it always chatty and knows the gossip. I was amazed to learn form him that according to the rumours circulating around the town my daughter was fatality injured in her accident. Had to put him right on that one.

We are off into town shortly, OH needs a new battery for his everyday watch and his gold watch needs a service, I will nip to Morrison for the few bits I need from there. We will then go on to see DD2. Will report later.

Its a dull morning after yesterdays sun, load of coloureds washed and dried, just airing off.

I put the steam cleaner on the bathroom and toilet floors, also did the tiles in the bathroom and the cover to the shower drain, it was yukkkkk, that my cleaning done till Friday, will do the living room and kitchen then.

I was trawling the internet yesterday for new frying pans, my old ones have lost their non stick, was surprised to see tefal pans with a detachable handle £64+ in Lakeland. Same pans £33 on Ebay!!

Shepherds pie for supper tonight.
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 6th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Csarina i saw those pans but the reviews were awful shame as the principal is really good
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter