PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Tuesday 6th March 2018

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off, you've made a good step forward with cooking the chicken stew, remember baby steps x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly, he enjoyed his pancakes yesterday, he'll have to make do with cereal or toast this morning!

Now getting light, birds are singing, damp underfoot after last nights' rain, more forecast though, at least it's not so bitterly cold.

Dinner last night was fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, tonight was left blank on the menu sheet as I couldn't decide what to cook, so I didn't take any meat out of the freezer, so egg, bacon, sausage, black pud, beans and mushrooms it will be, I'll get chicken out tonight and do that tomorrow night with mash and veg.

Work yesterday was slow to start but then became quite busy, we had technology problems also, some phones didn't work some computers didn't work, some did, then those that did - didn't! Complete nightmare, makes the job harder than it already is, hoping today will be better.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all.

We’re expecting rain today. Whilst the snow swerved past I don’t think the rain will.

There’s a weather expert saying that we should all expect more really bad snow storms around 17 March for about a week. He’s not a professional but seems to have forecast this past spell last year.

My night was undisturbed and peaceful though I woke to find an annoying email from my challenged student. I hope the rest of the day is not as annoying.

Teaching numeracy first thing, not my favourite topiic though it’s just two hours. I’ll survive.

I hope everyone is getting better or doing well. Happy Tuesday.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly and hugs to all those in need.

Mad rush this morning, dd2 is on a course they emailed her at 9:30 last night to say the creche wouldn't be open!

CHS needs dropping a work, the boat needs cleaning, the washing needs doing, I'm glad retirement is so restful!

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

I'm surprised you ever had time to work HH!
    Hope all goes well today Holly.

It's sleeting this morning, hope that's all we have, everything seems to be thawing nicely.

It was good to get to work yesterday but was a bit challenging first thing, lots of children not in but mainly because their parents couldn't be bothered! My desk was like a scene from the Marie Celeste, all left abandoned from last week including a used coffee cup!

Washing to do tonight when I get in and the fire to clean out, I haven't used it during the cold spell as I was conserving fuel in case of power cuts. Managed to get some heat logs yesterday so will use it tonight.

My healthy eating went well yesterday, I'm using an app on my phone that counts calories, no surprise I have been putting on weight when you see it written down!

Hope you are all well, take care. XX
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    edited 6 March 2018 at 8:15AM
    Options
    Morning all, thank you for the thread Hollyharvey.

Today is a day off. I started the week with a lovely tidy sitting room, to the extent that DS commented on the clean, tidy room and how nice it looked. It no longer looks like that. We had to shift all sorts just to sit down and now he's sleeping and probably will sleep for a lot of today to ward off jet lag. So he won't be sorting out his stuff today. Oh well.

Yesterday I made the Monday equivalent of Sunday dinner, which is precisely the same but not eaten on a Sunday. Today it will be a beef casserole. Then OH can take over for a few days as I'll be working.

It is light now, not raining so far, I expect the clouds are having a little think before depositing their watery contents - we had a real downpour yesterday. Almost all the snow had gone by bedtime. I've not been out to see this morning.

I hope everyone has a good day. Hollyharvey, wishing you the best for your meeting.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all , and thanks Holly. It's pouring with rain here, but at least it's above freezing. The snow is disappearing nicely.

Yesterday I went to Book Group, and most of the group had turned up - I think people were stir crazy with being in so much because of the snow,

In the afternoon I made a cosy toe cover thing for the doll's buggy. I've only got one dress left to make, then the doll's wardrobe is complete, thank heavens. I bought some lovely fabric for 2 summer (summer? what's that) dresses for myself. I'll start those soon.

No Tai Chi today because I've got a doctors' appointment, but it's our quiz night tonight. It's also our local residents' group meeting, so we'll go to that for 7pm.

It will be interesting to see if the snow storms materialise around the 17th Gers, it might be winter's last blast.

Hope you all have a good day folks, take care whatever you are doing.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. I hope today goes better than you are worrying about.

What a difference a day makes! Yesterday at this time we had deep snow, this morning nearly all gone! Due to yesterday's warmer temp and overnight rain. Still raining now with fog to go with it for good measure. GERS I read/heard somewhere about the snow returning on the 17th March too. About 5 years ago we were at the caravan for a few days in Spring like weather and on the 21st/ 22nd March we had the worst snow we'd had for years and ended up snowed in there for 4 days! Now we don't open up till March is out!

I have a doc's appointment this morning. Not out of choice! They rang to say I was due a medication review with a doctor. Why so caring all of a sudden, I suppose it must be something to do with funding! Most of the time it's nigh on impossible to get an appointment!

Afterwards we are carrying on to Aldi (and maybe Sainsbobs) for a much needed shop as we haven't done one for 2 weeks. Apart from the quick top up of dairy last Monday before the snow. I am hoping the shops will have calmed down by now after the weekend of panic buying. A friend said it was worse in Morrisons on Saturday than Xmas and a lot of the shelves bare. Crazy! Despite living from the freezers all last week, when we were snowbound, they are still well stocked but the fruit bowl and veg box are both empty. Just a few carrots and some sad looking celery and salad stuff in the fridge.

Time for another coffee and then better get my arris into gear. ((HUGS)) for all in need of them and take care all xxx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]TravellingAbuela Dirk Gently is on Netflix, it came up as a suggestion because I've watched Stranger Things.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Gers I've just realised there's been more than one production of the program – I'm watching the one starring Elijah Wood. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]LameWolf Thanks for that – I didn't realise there were books.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]whiteguineapig Drink some wine before you start watching :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hollyharvey I hope all goes well today xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Gers I saw that weatherman on the news, just caught the end of it when I changed channel so I missed most of what he said. It'll be interesting to see if he's correct, do you know his name?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My tomato plants look a bit healthier, they're still a bit spindly but I think they'll be ok. The cucumber seedlings look nice and strong. I haven't had much luck with them for the past two years, hopefully these will do well.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I had so much energy yesterday, I got all of my jobs done and some of today's too :D I'll start a bit later today, I want to take Scampi out. He hasn't wanted to go out in the morning since the snow started (although he's had a great time in the snow later in the day – strange boy), he knows it's gone now but refuses to budge from the sofa! I don't have much computer stuff to do today, which is good because sitting in front of it yesterday made my hip stiff.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    :beer:
    Bulletproof
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning All,

All the snow has gone now , after yesterdays downpour.

Work today, then I will go and visit my mom. I did not get there last week, but I need to take more toiletries. I also need to let the home know that I will be taking mom out Saturday afternoon. I am going to bring to my house and have fish and chip supper.
    Gone are the days where I can take mom out on mothers day as it is so packed. I will take mom out to a restaurant again, but I have to have one with disabled facilities and a fairly quiet restaurant.

Will put the wm on at some point today.

HollyHarvey I hope your appointment goes well.

Have a good Tuesday xx
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 6 March 2018 at 8:44AM
    Options
    Tru - he is called Dave King. His website is a bit rambly.

Dirk Gently
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently_(TV_series)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure