£1000+ Credit Card Debt

Options
So I'm posting here on behalf of my partner. She's not very good at dealing with money and was pretty naive at the time of doing all of this. Nor does she monitor the account or any money very well. Fortunately I'm now here to try and find the right help; hence me posting in this forum.

Around January 2016 she took out a Barclay Card (Platinum Visa) with an £800 limit.
She spent this up and then decided it was a terrible idea and cut up the card.
She then claims to have been paying something like £33 a month back, until last year when she had a phone call from an unknown company (she can't remember) discussing the repayment amount and settled on £40 a month.

We've been to Barclays to try and obtain as much information about the account as possible. The first statement I've got is from November 2016 where the balance is £836.57 - this has a minimum payment of £89.80 due by December 2016. (The previous balance below this on the statement was £796.)
The next statement is 6 months later, April 2017. This is a balance of £1,043.48 minimum payment of £333.28 due by May 2017.
(The interest rates are all defined as 26.43%.)

Barclays informed us today that the debt is now with a company called 'Hoist' and we need to contact them.

My initial plan when finding out about the card was to get her to move it to a 0% interest and pay more each month, get it paid off, problem solved.
Now this seems unlikely, as a small amount of research has led me to believe that 'Hoist' are a debt collection agency?

Does this mean this is still going up and up with interest and it will be a never-ending battle?
Would there still be an option to move the debt to somewhere interest free?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 March 2018 at 6:17PM
    Options
    Hi,

Hoist are a Swedish company who are very heavily into the debt collection business in the UK, they recently acquired Robinson way, another player in the same market.

You need to find out from Barclays if Hoist have bought the debt, or are just managing it, ring them and ask, because if they have sold the debt, all interest and charges should cease, if they are only acting as a 3rd party to collect the debt on Barclays behalf, interest will still be charged on the outstanding balance as per the original agreement.

There is no option now to move the balance, no, one option would be to make an offer the settle the account in full, although if it has not been sold, i doubt if any offer would be accepted.

If i had to make an educated guess, i would say Hoist now own the debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • gr_96
    gr_96 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Okay, great thanks for your quick response.
    Well basically Barclays passed us on the number for Hoist and said to ring them and find out what was going on. So the plan is to call them, see what they have to say and we can then go from there.

So if as you guess the debt is sold to Hoist, there may be the option to settle it in full? Being that this may not be affordable would the debt be
    •of the initial credit card amount
    •inclusive of Barclays interest too
    •include Hoist's own interest amount

Any ideas on these?
    Much appreciated, thanks.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Under FSA rules, debts should be defaulted before sale, in which case the amount is frozen, and no further interest or charges can be added.

The problem we are seeing more and more of, are the sale of non defaulted debts, which means the new owner can continue charging interest at the same rate as per your original agreement.

The rules you see, are more like guidelines, then actual set in stone rules, so are open to interpretation, you really need to obtain statements to see if interest is still been charged, if it is, you can always put in a formal written complaint telling them its unfair etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • gr_96
    Options
    Okay, so in terms of can and can't it's pretty vague (typical!).

We'll get in contact with Hoist tomorrow, find out as many details from them and get them to send statements out.
    I may be back in this thread if I come across more issues along the way (likely) thanks very much for your help so far.
  • gr_96
    Options
    Keeping you in the loop. Contacted the number provided by Barclays today; turned out to be Robinson Way. They transferred to hoist who advised that the debt has been bought. In turn the pointed us to a company called Moorcroft. Apparently they're the ones who handle all payments etc. and we have to contact them.

The debt is stuck at £1043.48 and is not accumulating anymore interest, that is what it was bought from Barclays at.

Contacting Moorcroft tomorrow to discuss payment plans etc.
    I highly doubt the interest accumulated from Barclays will be nulled, so I suppose it'll be a case of setting up a payment plan for the £1043.48. Thinking £80-£100 a month and it can be cleared in a year!

Thanks for your assistance. For my own satisfaction and in case you want to know how it goes, I'll probably keep this loop going. Plus for any others reading the thread so they can hopefully read a positive tale and know that it can always be resolved!

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Make sure any arrangements you make with them, is confirmed in writing.
  • timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    There is no option now to move the balance, no, one option would be to make an offer the settle the account in full, although if it has not been sold, i doubt if any offer would be accepted.

That depends on the account status, surely? If the account has been sold on, then I agree it can't be directly moved (but in that case no further interest is accruing anyway, so there's no need to).

If the account is still with Barclays and they're still applying interest to it, then it should be eligible for an interest free balance transfer from any other provider who will offer one.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 March 2018 at 3:24PM
    Options
    So it doesn't happen again teach your partner about dealing with money, to check the accounts on a regular basis, get a DD set up.

Is it because she isnt very good or cant grasp about money ?
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    You state The debt is stuck at £1043.48 and is not accumulating anymore interest, that is what it was bought from Barclays at.

I very much doubt the debt collector brought the debt penny for penny so very misleading if they told you that! I'd be shocked if that was true.

Good luck with it all.
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • sourcrates
    Options
    timbstoke wrote: »
    That depends on the account status, surely? If the account has been sold on, then I agree it can't be directly moved (but in that case no further interest is accruing anyway, so there's no need to).

If the account is still with Barclays and they're still applying interest to it, then it should be eligible for an interest free balance transfer from any other provider who will offer one.

We have moved on since I posted that.

The debt was sold to hoist, it is been managed by moorcroft, the balance is as stated above with no further interest charges added.

Barclays are out of the picture.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure