New Build solar panels on lower rate FIT - help

Hello.

Not a big poster but a big reader of MSE.

Myself and my Girlfriend bought a wonderful new home from Taylor Wimpey with little fuss. However when looking to apply for the Feed In Tariff on our south facing solar panels, we have been put on the lower rate because TW managed to do our EPC certificate after installing the panels.

We have only applied to British Gas as it was easier (we are with Sainsburys for gas and electricity). I have forwarded the disappointing response to TW who have apologised and said there is nothing they can do as it is OFGEMS “new legislation”.

What peeves me off the most about it is that this new legislation was brought in in 2016 and we bought our home before it was even built in 2017. How have they not got that part of the processed sussed by then?!

So I am dissapointed but I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts/stories/experience of dealing with this situation.

Am I in the right to claim compensation? I was made to believe that my house would be super cheap on the efficiency, but it looks as though it’s not as cheap as we expected.

Should I try applying to another provider to see if they don’t notice like BG did?

Is it not worth doing anything and just accepting our fate?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• It isn't worth switching provider as your FiT is on a central register. You will get the same rate from any supplier.

You should have an MCS certificate for the panels stating the commissioning date.

Your house is still very efficient and you can make significant savings if you use the power you generate instead of exporting it to the grid.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • tim9966
    tim9966 Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes I'm in the same position as you. After all the problems I had getting my new build solar panels registered I was then met with you'll be on the bottom rate as the EPC was done a day after the MCS.

I was also given a predicted EPC dated before, but they wouldn't accept it.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello.

Myself and my Girlfriend bought a wonderful new home from Taylor Wimpey with little fuss. However when looking to apply for the Feed In Tariff on our south facing solar panels, we have been put on the lower rate because TW managed to do our EPC certificate after installing the panels.

Hiya, just a strange thought, but is there any chance the installer got the commissioning date on the MCS certificate wrong?

Perhaps if you call them and ask nicely, they may recall some sort of mix up and then be able to issue you with a revised MCS certificate with a commissioning date after the EPC?

I had a similar problem back in 2012 when the ruling changed for PV extensions the very day of my install. Luckily it transpired that my installer had forgotten, that he'd forgotten his testing kit on the day of the install and EPC, and that the commissioning date was actually the day after.

Have a really good think about this before you post anything.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • ogwellian
    ogwellian Posts: 19 Forumite
    We've just encountered the same problem. We recently moved into one of eight new houses built by a local builder. My neighbour showed me his fit statement from British Gas and he was earning a lot more than me.

Did a bit of investigation and discovered it's the EPC date. The EPCs were done on our houses near their completion dates, but the solar panels were commissioned the same time. My solar panels were commissioned in July along with the others, but the house wasn't finished enough for the EPC to be done until August. My neighbour's house was completed and EPCd before the commissioning.

It seems it was just easier for the solar company to come on site and do them altogether. But this has left most of us out of pocket.

It's crazy for new builds which with current building regs are going to be A or B rated, or C at worst, to be under the same rules, especially as the final owner has no control in the process.

The solar company have told me they can't decommission and recommission without a completely new installation including new panels (I suggested jokingly that I could smash the generation meter with a hammer!!).

The builder of the houses lives in one of them and he's fallen foul of the rules.

Hope Ofgem get this sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport