Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dangleberry
    • By dangleberry 27th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 7Thanks
    dangleberry
    Amazon making false allegations
    • 27th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    Amazon making false allegations 27th Feb 18 at 8:09 PM
    Hi all, I really need your help,

Last week I received an email from Amazon.co.uk claiming that I have (in some censored way) violated review guidelines, The email states the following:

- Elements of your account indicate a relationship to sellers, publishers, or other reviewers of the products you review.
    -- Your reviews were posted in exchange for compensation, such as gift cards to purchase the product, product refunds, review swaps, or free or discounted products.
    -- You requested free or discounted products in exchange for reviews.

We made this decision after carefully considering your account. This decision is final, and your community privileges will not be reinstated.

None of this is true, and, despite emailing them 8 times with explanations of everything and begging for them to review my account to prove my innocence, they have completely ignored my messages until yesterday when I escalated to the CEO.

Today I received the same email. Basically saying it LOOKS like I have but they can not actualy offer any details or evidence. And neither will they enter into conversation to help prove their error.

I've been found guilty, and been punished without trial.

I cannot begin to convey how badly this is affecting my physical and mental health (both of which are very poor - I am disabled and suffer from severe mental health issues) - I have explained to them on the phone 3 times that this is causing me great alarm and distress but still they refuse to investigate properly and refuse to tell me the complaints escalation route.

I tried to use resolver.co.uk but Amazon have found a way to worm out of using them by hiding behind data protection.

Has anyone else been in this situation or have any idea how I can force them to look thoroughly and accept their false positive for the error it is.
    I'd also like to point out I've been a customer since 2002 and a Prime member (!) I review almost everything because it's the right thing to do, and now somehow that's bitten me on the backside

I would be so grateful if anyone could help me in any way.

Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 28th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Danglebarry, if you are still on this thread and not given up because of the trolls, can you let me know if you too were sent the same email from Amazon each time you messaged them? Looks like a computer generated one?
    Originally posted by K-Queen
    Oh Lordy. We all know that you’re the same person posting from different accounts. What do you hope to achieve with this?
    • K-Queen
    • By K-Queen 28th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    K-Queen
    Rofl
    No lie, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time, thanks for stopping by on this thread and I'm glad I found this through facebook! I've been looking at the posts that 'SHORTcrust' responds to, and their responses, ....and they're so amusing!!
    Do you actually think that all the threads are directed at you, personally, like you're the person that the original poster is talking to? Because, I hate to rain on your parade, but nobody knows who you are! Until ofcourse, you feel like you have to respond to threads that should have no interest to you, because you clearly don't know EVERYTHING! Sorry for the reality check, but you are not that important to anyone and looking at your comments, you're more of a hinderance than any kind of help. Are you on some kind of a challenge trying to get points by respoding to threads that don't concern you? Actually don't bother answering that....BORING!!!!! Think I will try looking elsewhere for help, I'm presuming the original poster had more sense than me and left this thread.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 28th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    shortcrust
    We know you’re the same person. Just think how weird that looks.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 2nd Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 31,606 Posts
    • 19,944 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Is there a way to block unnecessary replies?
    Originally posted by dangleberry
    Can I ask which replies ?

I must have read a different thread as no nasty replies are evident.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 2nd Mar 18, 10:07 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I'm not sure I understand this thread. I occasionally post reviews on Amazon. I have sometimes received a product free of charge to review it. I was under the impression that Amazon was somehow involved in these offers. Generally I put in the review that I had received the item free in return for reviewing it.

These offers seemed to dry up, and I now get some weird offers to order the item, review it and then they will refund the cost via paypal, or to get a discount on an item. I've ignored all of these offers.

Is it now against the rules to get a free item in return for a review?
    • imho
    • By imho 4th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    imho
    Vine customers get free items for reviews and they do mention it was free.
    I take no notice of Vine reviews as most praise the goods they got cause they was free.
    I am always getting offers of free products to put a review on with pictures and refund by PayPal. I just delete them all.
    Reviews I see on Amazon where people who are not Vine customers but put 4/5 pictures on I always think they have had the same offer of a freebie and taken the offer.
    • Joes nana
    • By Joes nana 6th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Joes nana
    I don't think the original poster has got this wrong. they mention anxiety which can muddle thought processes and give one a false positive if you get what I mean...

all I can say is give it time, this intensity will pass, you can't change it. you can change your amazon email/name / account. etc.

you state you don't leave the house due to anxiety so I suggest maybe seeing your gp or phoning the Samaritans for a chat. they are very good at helping rationalizing things out when anxiety gets a grip and warps your reality .

no offense or predictions are made here. just suggestions x
    • H1a3rt
    • By H1a3rt 8th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    H1a3rt
    I have a friend that got kicked off Amazon for returning too many items. He did admit he returned 6 items in a row but all for legitimate reasons.
    Anyway hes out altogether, at least you only have community privileges revoked, so it could be worse
    No big deal. Move on.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 11th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Amazon are clamping down on the reviews where you are given the item for free on the basic understanding that you post a positive 5 star review

I'm assuming the OP has either fallen foul of doing this and been caught out or their reviews "seem" to reflect the pattern .
    Originally posted by Browntoa

probably left too many reviews for items they didn't purchase (purchased elsewhere).

I keep thinking, move on with your life and forget this. But OP does have mental health issues.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 11th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    I have a friend that got kicked off Amazon for returning too many items. He did admit he returned 6 items in a row but all for legitimate reasons.
    Anyway hes out altogether, at least you only have community privileges revoked, so it could be worse
    No big deal. Move on.
    Originally posted by H1a3rt

this is pretty well deserved IMO. I think I will get kicked off prime eventually. I keep subscribing intermittently to get fast delivery when i urgently need something and then cancel the membership on the day it is delivered. In the past I would get a full refund but now they charge you a months membership.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 19th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    Stoke
    Register a new account? Move on? Not trying to troll here, just thinking it's probably better than getting stressed out.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 19th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    • 10,798 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    deanos
    i buy loads of items every week with discount codes which give heavy discounts/free items on amazon but never leave any reviews, have you been using discount codes from the amazon seller sites and leaving reviews for said items ?
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 25th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    pineapple
    Move on if you don't need this information!
    Originally posted by K-Queen
    'Move on' seems to be a popular phrase in this thread.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 25th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    pineapple
    i buy loads of items every week with discount codes which give heavy discounts/free items on amazon but never leave any reviews, have you been using discount codes from the amazon seller sites and leaving reviews for said items ?
    Originally posted by deanos
    I use Amazon quite a lot and have seen plenty of reviews openly stating that they were offered the product in return for a review of the product but insisting that the review is unbiased. Is this against the rules then? I did come across one such review which was actually negative! (though it doesn't happen often).
    On the other hand there was a claim on TV recently that there are more covert arrangements such as where the person doesn't reveal their payment/reimbursement. I would have more trouble with those. All of this skews the value of the reviews of course but then so do the idiots who give an item 5 stars while stating 'they haven't used it yet' or 'I bought this for my sister/the family dog/the man next door so don't know'
    Last edited by pineapple; 25-03-2018 at 4:11 PM.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 1st Apr 18, 8:33 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    camelot1971
    I wish I got free stuff for leaving a review

I don't think I have ever left a review for any product on any site ever. I really don't understand why not being able to leave a review would upset anyone other than if they were posting fake reviews for money.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 2nd Apr 18, 10:42 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    pineapple
    I wish I got free stuff for leaving a review

I don't think I have ever left a review for any product on any site ever. I really don't understand why not being able to leave a review would upset anyone other than if they were posting fake reviews for money.
    Originally posted by camelot1971
    Good point. I do often leave reviews - mainly because if it is a really good product/buy I want to sing it from the rooftops, ditto if it is bad. But if I was unable to comment, it would be no big deal.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 2nd Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    • 10,798 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    deanos
    I use Amazon quite a lot and have seen plenty of reviews openly stating that they were offered the product in return for a review of the product but insisting that the review is unbiased. Is this against the rules then? I did come across one such review which was actually negative! (though it doesn't happen often).
    On the other hand there was a claim on TV recently that there are more covert arrangements such as where the person doesn't reveal their payment/reimbursement. I would have more trouble with those. All of this skews the value of the reviews of course but then so do the idiots who give an item 5 stars while stating 'they haven't used it yet' or 'I bought this for my sister/the family dog/the man next door so don't know'
    Originally posted by pineapple
    yes its against rules, amazon know when you use a discount code then leave a review they are actively removing them. Sellers are now refunding buyers via paypal once a review is left, Amazon cant trace it that way. I never do that i just use the discount codes

The sellers want reviews as it creates more sales, buying items pushes them up the rankings to get more exposure which means more sales.

You have heard or Anker on Amazon ? They started the same way giving away items for reviews, now they are a huge seller on Amazon
    Last edited by deanos; 02-04-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 2nd Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    pineapple
    yes its against rules, amazon know when you use a discount code then leave a review they are actively removing them. Sellers are now refunding buyers via paypal once a review is left, Amazon cant trace it that way. I never do that i just use the discount codes
    Originally posted by deanos
    Thanks. Yes the TV programme I saw mentioned Paypal as a nefarious way of paying people. This article says they have tightened up but still allow it under the Vine program. Maybe those are the ones I have seen.
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/04/amazon-bans-reviews-posted-in-exchange-for-free-products/
    I buy quite a lot online as I live out in the sticks a good drive from any decent shops but have yet to be offered a discounted or free product. . But if I post a critical review I have sometimes been offered a refund by the seller to amend the review. I guess that is open to abuse too.
    Last edited by pineapple; 02-04-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 2nd Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    • 10,798 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    deanos
    You wont get offered a discount code on Amazon , you need to join Amazon seller sites (Facebook also has groups) then apply for a discount on the advertised items, some are instant codes some are reviewed by the seller and if you meet there criteria they give you a code, you then go to Amazon and use the discount code

Last edited by deanos; 02-04-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin