Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4,320Posts
    • 22,883Thanks
    foxgloves
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse
    • 27th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    Put away your purse & become debt-averse 27th Feb 18 at 4:06 PM
    I've decided to start a diary to show that it's possible to change from a terrible money waster into a a bit of a budgeting ninja. OK, I'm not perfect....we all have slip-ups now & again....but I am proud that by my budget efforts & our surprising willingness to change from big silly spenders (we really were a pair of narnas!) to really quite sensible people, we managed to become debt-free. We paid off around 35k & really, just learned how to live differently And you know what? We really enjoy it! Turned out that all that spending & having to have stuff immediately didn't really make us happy. Who'd have thought it?
    Pre-LBM, my principles for money management were:
    1) Buy pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted. Overdraft was seen as another word for 'more of my money'.
    2) Open bank statements, look at the balance through semi-closed eyes, carefully fold & replace in envelope & put in drawer.
    3) Tell myself bank balance is fine because it's only 3 weeks till pay-day.
    4) Always withdraw useful wodge of cash the week before pay-day just in case that pesky bank was planning to show me up in the supermarket by stopping my debit card.
    5) Never budget - why waste time on this when my own system worked so well?
    6) Tell myself not to worry about savings. They would be nice, but I 'didn't earn enough'
    That was about it, really. I didn't budget at all & made no effort to spend within my means. I lived outside my means from the age of 19 & didn't become debt-free till my 40s!
    The LBM was huge. I had it first & my partner showed initial signs of resistance, but when he saw my debts disappearing, he soon wanted in on the act & is now like a different person with money.
    Two years ago, we borrowed a modest sum to help us buy a car, We always knew this would happen & we made sure we saved up a good deposit. It was always our intention to re-pay the loan early & we did manage a nice overpayment of 2000 last year. However, our 2nd overpayment was almost ready to pay in when we had a string of expenses which we didn't want to put on credit cards, so we used our loan overpayment money to pay those. Last year was difficult in many ways & although we didn't return to our previous naughty spendiness, I think I started to lose some of my focus. Before Christmas, our Loan Pay Down Fund (LPDF) was down to just 60. Now it is already up to 421, really just from little savings, selling a few bits & bobs here & there. One thing I'm going to be really BIG on this year is 'Shopping from home', as in doing that first, to see if a spend can be avoided. I've got off to a really good start with that, starting with my new year de-cluttering & have found all sorts of useful stuff that will save me money further down the line. I also intend to do a full kitchen cupboard audit. Although I'm a DFW 'Small things' regular, I've never done a DFW diary before, so I'm going to use it to focus my efforts & get that LPDF up to 1000, then the next 1000, etc, asap. If you are the sort of person who gets excited about the contents of other people's cupboards & the satisfaction of saving a few quid here & there, then do join me for sharing ideas, laughs & moans, & I promise to throw in a few tales from my Spendy Decades - I have kept a journal for a lot of my adult life & I absolutely wince now, reading some of those diary entries about my cavalier attitude to money. I suppose they show that if I can change, anyone can! Oh well, onwards! I loved being debt-free & just a small amount of effort will mean that I can soon be again.
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 27-02-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 358
Page 26
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 8th Oct 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 8,947 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Positive thoughts for you and your family - so difficult for you all.
    Hope the thought of the spring flowers rallies your spirits, and the comforts of a cat, good book and home bring some solace.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 8th Oct 18, 8:27 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 48,631 Thanks
    maryb
    wishing you strength for the sad time you will have to go through
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Oct 18, 4:32 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 22,883 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks, Maryb & joeyjimbles for your thoughtful wishes.

Well, the inevitable sad news to report that my Mum died yesterday. I'm back home sorting out some clothes etc, & to spend a couple of nights with mr f & cat before heading back south tomorrow morning to start sorting out all the necessary arrangements & legal stuff. I will need to live between two places for a while, as we have a house to clear & sell too, so there is lots to do. I'm aiming to update my DFW diary when I can, because I really don't want my good money habits to start falling by the wayside because I'm so out of my routines. So, I've started how I mean to go on today. I've done my mid-month budget check-in a few days early to make sure everything is looking ok, & I've shuffled some funds around to keep the various different 'pots' straight. Even though I'm feeling sad & stressed at the moment, I was pleasantly surprised (actually, I nearly had to summon mr f to physically scrape me off the floor!) by something which arrived in the post today. I'm sure I've moaned about this before, but one of my real bugbears with insurance is how much the premiums increase at renewal time despite the fact that we haven't claimed. It is just WRONG to my mind when UK inflation is below 3% to shove a whopping 30% increase onto premiums in the hope that enough silly narnas will pay up without querying it. I suppose there must just be a LOT of silly narnas. Anyway, every year, my home & contents renewal lands on the doormat, I look at the quote, I work out the % increase, I google the current UK inflation rate, then I phone them & ask them to match the cheaper online price. They say they can't do that, so I tell them I am letting that policy lapse & that I am heading online RIGHT NOW to purchase the exact same policy at the price, I, as a loyal customer, expect to be charged. They say 'Ok', so that's what I do. Every bloody year! So, today when I spotted the letter lying ominously on the doormat, I got ready to adopt my usual procedure........well, I read it once, I read it twice.......& heaven forfend......the price had gone down!! OK, not by much, I'm not talking a night out on what I've saved, but they are very definitely charging me 5.04 less than last year. So I decided to renew there & then. It's one less thing for me to be faffing about with at a very busy time. Is this a one-off? (It was Co-op Insurance) or are they finally getting the message? I don't know, but it was a pleasant surprise not to see that big jump in premium for no good reason.
    Well, I need to crack on now, I've got the last of Sunday's joint of roast meat to turn into a nice pan of spicy rice tonight, & it had better be served with some wokked courgettes as despite mr f assuring me he'd picked them last week when I was away, I don't think he realised that another 6 grow the minute he turns his back! And importantly, I need to make sure I find all the necessary ID documentation I need to take with me to assist with all the forthcoming legal proceedings. Off to do that now, then I'd better think about cat food, as cat is currently marauding around in utter disgust at the state of his bowl.
    Take care all, cherish your families & friends & keep on with the debt-busting.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 10th Oct 18, 5:07 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 3,062 Thanks
    Chrystal
    I'm sorry to hear about your Mum foxgloves. I hope you can see it as a release for her, not having to suffer anymore. ((hugs))
    The legal side of it can be a nightmare - we're still in the throes of it 2 years later! Hopefully yours will be more straightforward.
    Take care of yourself XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 10th Oct 18, 6:07 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 13,735 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Just popped in as I had a feeling...

So sorry for your loss ..............even though it was expected, doesnt make it any easier. Look after yourself. XX
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83/Jun 236.71/July 183.73/Aug 251.84/Sep 366.48/Oct 83.98
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1429.56 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626.44,182,43,721
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Oct 18, 7:21 PM
    • 5,269 Posts
    • 41,696 Thanks
    DawnW
    So sorry Foxgloves

Take care xxx

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Oct 18, 7:54 PM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 34,487 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady

Thinking of you. Be kind to yourself at this very difficult time xxx
    October Gobstopper #8 NSD = 14 1 debt vs 100 days 328.51/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Oct 18, 9:31 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 48,631 Thanks
    maryb
    Be kind to yourself Foxgloves, thinking of you
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Oct 18, 10:44 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 3,079 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Awwww I just popped in to see if your ok,I'm so sorry to hear about your mum,look after yourself and take care xx
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,306 Total Now Owed = 16,324
    Emergency Fund = 250 Xmas savings = 380
    • erin_transport
    • By erin_transport 10th Oct 18, 10:59 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,794 Thanks
    erin_transport
    Sorry to hear your sad news
    On a mission!

2018 MFW #138
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 10th Oct 18, 11:31 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 5,399 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sorry to read your sad news. Hope the arrangements go as smoothly as possible.
    paydbx #93 899.50/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Oct 18, 6:17 AM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 41,258 Thanks
    determined new ms
    What a wonderful daughter you are foxgloves. I'm sure it brought your mum a lot of comfort you were with her in her final days. Thinking of you x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Oct 18, 7:26 AM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 16,190 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    I am sorry sorry to hear about your Mum. May she rest in peace. Take care of yourself at this difficult time x
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 11th Oct 18, 3:50 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 8,947 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    So sorry to read your sad news. And as the others say, please look after yourself as you go forward. You need to be your own best friend right now, as well as allowing your friends to give you the help and support they will want to give. Best thoughts.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Oct 18, 7:55 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 22,883 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks for all your kind wishes. How thoughtful, when none of us know each other in real life. And yes, I am treating myself kindly. Many years ago, I had a spell of anxiety disorder. It was horrible at the time, but it was also useful because I now recognise symptoms of stress during difficult times & understand it's time for a gardening day or a 'watch a film on the sofa with cat' day. I'm also a big believer in telling myself "I'll deal with this if & when it happens" instead of giving in to stressful ways of thinking. On so many occasions, whatever it is DOESN'T happen, or if it does, is actually not so bad. So thanks, & I promise I'm being Mrs Sensible with looking after myself.
    I've popped back home for a couple of days - so a 75 mile journey on top of a long appointment with the undertakers first thing, sorting out Mum's books & dropping some charity bags off. I love looking in charity shops - you know how you visit loads of times & find nothing, then suddenly you find a fab little bargain - so as I'm sorting & packing stuff for the local charity shops, I'm hoping that amongst it all will be a lovely money-saving find for somebody.
    Anyway, must crack on with some relaxing. Tons to do from Sunday onwards but am going to have a nice 'normal' Friday night & Saturday.
    Love to all,
    F x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Oct 18, 7:59 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 22,883 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening Debtbusters,
    After such a difficult few weeks, I have to say I genuinely enjoyed today. I'm going to be so busy organising the funeral & all the other stuff, but decided I really needed a 'normal' day, so mr f & I had a city centre trip. Yes, there were spends - 10 for parking for starters, but I didn't buy anything that wasn't on my list & my list only consisted of necessities. We used my John Lewis loyalty voucher for a free coffee & scone, so just paid mr f, which halved the bill & felt like a nice little treat.
    And I had a look at some handbags. I am thinking about asking for one for Christmas, but isn't it difficult to find the 'right' one? I've decided that my criteria are:
    *It MUST be big enough this time.
    *It needs to be a colour which goes with all my stuff (which rules out a scrummy rose-coloured one I looked at).
    *It must have a fastening to prevent pick-pocketing of my stuff.
    *It must have good pockets.
    *It must be leather
    And importantly, while I WILL spend more to get a high quality bag which meets all the above, I am not going to pay really p*ss-takingly silly amounts. Even during the Spendy Decades, I'd never have spent hundreds of pounds on a bag. Today, I saw a bag I really liked (a brand), looked at the price & it was 269. No way I'd pay that. On the next display, I found an extremely similar one (except I liked it more because it was a bit bigger) for 99. But you know...that's a lot of cashola for me now, so when mr f suggested he buy it for me & put it away till December, I had a final prance around with it on my shoulder & said 'No'. I know I would get 99' s worth of use from it, as I don't tend to have multiple handbags, so I'd use it every day till it dropped, but it was that whole issue of walking away from a spend & thinking it over first. Only October, plenty of time!
    I also noticed in WHSmith, I went straight to the items on my list & walked past all the magazines!! Back in the day, I'd have bought 3 or 4 on a single city centre trip, & all big monthly glossy ones.
    Tomorrow I need to do some serious funeral planning before travelling south again, but tonight I'm determined to round off my day of normality with some funky sock knitting, a bit of TV, a hot bath & a nice free sample of face pack!
    Cheers all,
    F x
    • maryb
    • By maryb 13th Oct 18, 9:53 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 48,631 Thanks
    maryb
    Foxgloves I have recently bought myself a new handbag from the local leather goods shop in town which ticks all my boxes - it's an organizer type with lots of useful pockets

It's similar to the Tula bags they used to stock in John Lewis. ( But costs a good bit less) When I was last in JL they said they still sell them but only online. As I couldn't see and assess what it looked like I never got round to ordering one. So the local independent shop made a sale and JL didn't
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Oct 18, 9:56 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 3,079 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Glad to see you enjoyed your day of normality,at times like this they are often needed.
    Well done on not succumbing to the handbag and magazines,I was in Smiths today and went and stared dreamily at all the magazines but I walked away without buying one,they are a major temptIon for me but I keep telling myself that the money I would have spent on one magazine could be used for a nice treat or something crafty if I add up each one I would normally buy
    I hope you are now feeling relaxed after your bath and facemask xx
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,306 Total Now Owed = 16,324
    Emergency Fund = 250 Xmas savings = 380
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Oct 18, 9:37 AM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 34,487 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Really pleased to hear that you had a nice, normal sort of Saturday. And the Foxgloves common sense isn't going anywhere is it?
    October Gobstopper #8 NSD = 14 1 debt vs 100 days 328.51/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Oct 18, 12:07 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 22,883 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Lol, CCL. I am generally very sensible on the whole, though mr f would probably cite several examples where my common sense has completely deserted me, such as his oft-quoted tale of when I stuck a metal knife down the inside of an old toaster to see why it wasn't heating up........something I have NOT repeated!!!
    Am travelling back south later today for a couple of nights to progress a whole heap of sorting & arrangements. I'm taking my food with me this time, as I'm no longer used to all these annoying little shops.....that behaviour belongs to the Spendy Years.....& do you know what I've noticed? It's blimming time-consuming too, calling in for bits & pieces of food supplies every day. I've got a nice crusty loaf, some avocados & peanut butter, some cheese, tuna, baking potatoes, milk, some bargainaceous blueberry yoghurt, crisps & a few other bits & pieces. I even have some cucumber & a tin of salmon to make my sis & I a packed lunch tomorrow when we have 3 appointments & a visit to the funeral directors. I mustn't let my usual good habits tumble by the wayside because I'm out of my usual routines. Have left a big notice on my desk reminding myself to update budgets, pay off a CC & check the Presents Box when I get back home. And shall keep telling myself, " Focus, Missis!"
    Love to all on this grey soggy day,
    F x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,321Posts Today

10,108Users online

Martin's Twitter