Protein options for a sailing vegetarian?

Hi all,

I've recently started working on board a ship. The gym is fine but the protein options for a vegetarian are cheese, yogurt, cheese and more cheese (it's a French ship hence the abundant cheese!)

I'm looking for options to up my protein (obviously as MSE as possible) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas other than shakes or bars, or any good recipes? And where are the best places to shop for protein products?

I'd appreciate any guidance, thanks! :)
2019 Aim: Save £10,000
Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now

Comments

• Sorry can't resist saying Seaweed - they make all sorts of snack items with this now
    Or
    Different types of beans like red kidney etc
    Quorn slices/snacks

Guess these might be high fibre options as well! :o
  • Tardis4
    Tardis4 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I got a huge (kilo?) tub of peanut powder from Costco. You mix a couple of teaspoons with water to make peanut butter, not as tasty as normal chunky pb but decent and transportable. Looks like it is also on Amazon but more expensive. Think mine was the "PB Fit" brand but not sure. Good with toast or as a dip for apples.
  • ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    keepcalm you really made me chuckle! Thanks to you and tardis for the tips, I'm not sure if I have a costco near me but I'll find out. :D
  • singhini
    singhini Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    i use Pulsin Protein Powder (you can buy it from supermarkets like TESCO or go directly to the Pulsin website).

Eggs are another source of protein as is Broccoli, Oats, beans (chickpeas, red kidney beans, cannellini, haricot), raw nuts (peanuts, almonds, brazil nuts, cashews), seeds (pumpkin, chia, sesame, sunflower), Tempeh, Tofu, Quorn mince, Lentils
  • ladymay
    Hi Singhini :hello:I love nuts! No cooking facilities on board but the protein powder sounds perfect and I'm obsessed with veggie miso soup so can definitely add in the tofu, thanks so much for the suggestions!
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    There is protein in lots of foods including bread and in general veggies don't need to worry too much as long as they eat a balanced diet. But toomuch cheese is not good for you.

Don't forget pulses such as lentils, and soya beans. I guess you'd need to buy tinned. Preserved and dried bean curd are good as they keep well. The dried stuff is soaked in water, then added to meals. It really does need cooking. Preserved bean curd is like fresh, but much denser, and can be sliced and added to meals. The spiced variety is tasty raw. Both are available from most oriental supermarkets.

I would be more concerned about other nutrients especially vitamin B12. Fortified soya milk (on a whole grain breakfast cereal for example) is a good source.
  • ladymay
    Thanks Bananarepublic - I thought about pulses but the only cooking equipment we have access to on board is a microwave and I'm not sure how pulses do in them: I've got an image in my head of beans exploding violently :rotfl:I may experiment when I get home...

I don't eat masses of cheese because I'm quite fussy on what varieties I like, and I get my b12 levels checked periodically as mine can get low, but the last time I got them checked at the start of the year they were all good :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family