Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bernie86
    • By Bernie86 18th Feb 18, 6:02 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bernie86
    Applying for mortgage on maternity leave
    • 18th Feb 18, 6:02 PM
    Applying for mortgage on maternity leave 18th Feb 18 at 6:02 PM
    Hello,

Has anyone recently applied for a mortgage whilst on maternity leave?

The home my husband and I currently live is in my name - i.e. I am the owner, mortgage in my name only. We'd like to move to a bigger house and get a mortgage together but I will soon be on maternity leave and wonder if this will jeopardise our chances...

I'd be grateful for any advice and suggestions of companies that might be willing to consider us.

Many thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 18th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 34,351 Posts
    • 18,659 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 18th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 18th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    Different lenders take different approaches - to maternity leave and to the cost of childcare after return to work.

An independent broker would be a smarter idea than "suggestions of companies that might be willing to consider us" as you'll then have the chance of the best deal and not just a lender someone has stumbled over when researching.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • katie4
    • By katie4 19th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    katie4
    • 19th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 19th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    We bought our first home when i was on maternity leave
    i started my maternity on full time hours so gave my full time wages when i returned to work however i returned part time- two days a week
    if i was part time we wouldnt have gotten the mortgage so it was really good timing for us

we are with monmouthshire building society

• darwin777
    • By darwin777 19th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darwin777
    • 19th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    thanks for the useful info
    • beckstas-money
    • By beckstas-money 9th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    beckstas-money
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    Hi,

How did you get on?

I would like to apply for a mortgage within the next 2 months but start maternity in December. My mat leave includes 6 months full pay then SMP.

Will this hinder my chances?
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 9th Jul 18, 3:06 PM
    • 10,832 Posts
    • 4,316 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:06 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:06 PM
    You will not be on maternity leave.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 9th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    scottishblondie
    • 9th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    See a broker, a good one really is worth their weight in gold. Getting our new mortgage was so much less stressful once we had our broker working on it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,369Posts Today

6,725Users online

Martin's Twitter