Applying for mortgage on maternity leave

Hello,

Has anyone recently applied for a mortgage whilst on maternity leave?

The home my husband and I currently live is in my name - i.e. I am the owner, mortgage in my name only. We'd like to move to a bigger house and get a mortgage together but I will soon be on maternity leave and wonder if this will jeopardise our chances...

I'd be grateful for any advice and suggestions of companies that might be willing to consider us.

Many thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Different lenders take different approaches - to maternity leave and to the cost of childcare after return to work.

An independent broker would be a smarter idea than "suggestions of companies that might be willing to consider us" as you'll then have the chance of the best deal and not just a lender someone has stumbled over when researching.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    We bought our first home when i was on maternity leave
    i started my maternity on full time hours so gave my full time wages when i returned to work however i returned part time- two days a week
    if i was part time we wouldnt have gotten the mortgage so it was really good timing for us

we are with monmouthshire building society
  • thanks for the useful info
  • Hi,

How did you get on?

I would like to apply for a mortgage within the next 2 months but start maternity in December. My mat leave includes 6 months full pay then SMP.

Will this hinder my chances?
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You will not be on maternity leave.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • scottishblondie
    scottishblondie Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    See a broker, a good one really is worth their weight in gold. Getting our new mortgage was so much less stressful once we had our broker working on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure