Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 13th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 69Posts
    • 21Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE Poll: Is it OK to use a vch on a first date?
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    MSE Poll: Is it OK to use a vch on a first date? 13th Feb 18 at 11:10 AM
    Poll started 13 February 2018

Is it OK to use a 2for1 voucher on a first date?

Itís Valentineís, so we want to know if itís acceptable to use a 2for1 restaurant voucher on a first date.

Weíve asked this over previous years - so letís see if attitudes have changed..

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 1
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 13th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    Considering the acronym VCH is generally used to describe a rather intimate piercing, my reaction on seeing this thread title was a bit:

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 14th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    haha I was wondering why MSE would be asking about a VCH.
    I have honestly never heard it used as shorthand for voucher!
    ďTime is intended to be spent, not savedĒ - Alfred Wainwright
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 14th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 7,096 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    Perhaps an edit is needed here because like those above my mind went to 'How do you use a VCH on a first date?!
    Hiraeth
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 14th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    epm-84
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    I think any of the following would be acceptable:

1. Robert to produce the voucher and then suggest they split the remainder of the bill.
    2. Robert to suggest Ashley can have the free meal and he'll pay for his. (Ashley could propose an alternative rather than accepting that.)
    3. Robert to produce the voucher and Ashley to say "You brought the voucher you get the free meal." (Robert could propose an alternative rather than accepting that.)

I also think it would be stupid for Robert to not use the voucher before it's expiry date just because he felt uncomfortable with using it on a date.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 62,485 Posts
    • 365,971 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    Speaking as somebody who was never taken to a restaurant even after weeks/months/years of dating .... I think that anybody who is prepared to take you out to be fed on a first date's streets ahead of the pack anyway, so who cares how they pay for it?

So long as they've not got a "2 for 1" voucher and ask for your half the bill then plonk their voucher down as that's an 4rse-kicking moment.

I'm trying to remember the last time I even got a card....I think it was about 1990.
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 14th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    epm-84
    Interesting to note the difference in attitudes between age so far in the poll. Most women under 35 don't expect Robert to pay the reminder, while most women over 35 do.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 14th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    Interesting to note the difference in attitudes between age so far in the poll. Most women under 35 don't expect Robert to pay the reminder, while most women over 35 do.
    Originally posted by epm-84
    The question isn't "Do you expect the man to pay on a first date?" so you can't draw that conclusion from the results.
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 14th Feb 18, 1:13 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    epm-84
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:13 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:13 PM
    The question isn't "Do you expect the man to pay on a first date?" so you can't draw that conclusion from the results.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    There is a poll option which states "Itís not an issue, Robertís still paying" and so far less than half of women under 35 selected it and more than half of women over 35 selected it. My observation was simply there's a different in attitude between older and younger women. I didn't try to claim that most women over 35 expect the man to pay for a date, as you seem to be suggesting.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 15th Feb 18, 6:39 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    There is a poll option which states "Itís not an issue, Robertís still paying" and so far less than half of women under 35 selected it and more than half of women over 35 selected it. My observation was simply there's a different in attitude between older and younger women. I didn't try to claim that most women over 35 expect the man to pay for a date, as you seem to be suggesting.
    Originally posted by epm-84
    Your interpretation of the results for "Itís not an issue, Robertís still paying" as as equating to "Most women under 35 don't expect Robert to pay the reminder, while most women over 35 do." came across as suggesting exactly that.
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 15th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    epm-84
    Your interpretation of the results for "Itís not an issue, Robertís still paying" as as equating to "Most women under 35 don't expect Robert to pay the reminder, while most women over 35 do." came across as suggesting exactly that.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Your earlier post said

That's correct but your latest post isn't. The question is what should Ashley do in this particular situation where Robert produces a 2 for 1 voucher, not for first dates in general. There are 3 possible options and one of them effectively says Robert pays for the date but it doesn't matter how he pays for the date. That option is more popular with older women (where more than half select it), than with younger ones (where more than half select other options.)

Iím a woman aged under 25 (152 votes)
    Robertís great with cash. HEíS A KEEPER! 78 votes (51%)
    Itís not an issue, Robertís still paying. 53 votes (35%)
    Robertís being tight. RUN! 21 votes (14%)

Iím a woman aged 25 to 34 (683 votes)
    Robertís great with cash. HEíS A KEEPER! 305 votes (45%)
    Itís not an issue, Robertís still paying. 294 votes (43%)
    Robertís being tight. RUN! 84 votes (12%)

Iím a woman aged 35 to 49 (942 votes)
    Robertís great with cash. HEíS A KEEPER! 329 votes (35%)
    Itís not an issue, Robertís still paying. 484 votes (51%)
    Robertís being tight. RUN! 129 votes (14%)

Iím a woman aged 50 to 64 (884 votes)
    Robertís great with cash. HEíS A KEEPER! 249 votes (28%)
    Itís not an issue, Robertís still paying. 496 votes (56%)
    Robertís being tight. RUN! 139 votes (16%)

Iím a woman aged 65+ (354 votes)
    Robertís great with cash. HEíS A KEEPER! 71 votes (20%)
    Itís not an issue, Robertís still paying. 219 votes (62%)
    Robertís being tight. RUN! 64 votes (18%)

Anyone who thinks Ashley should pay in part or full would not select the middle option. From these results so far you can't conclude that 35% of women under 25 think Robert should pay as the first and third options don't suggest who should pay but what Ashley should do after the date. However, you can conclude that at least 35% think if Robert pulls out a 2 for 1 voucher then he should pay for the date.
    • balsingh
    • By balsingh 20th Feb 18, 1:31 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    balsingh
    It's great to see that as the age group got younger, more felt it was acceptable to use a voucher. In a world of young people struggling with student debt and not able to get on the propery ladder, using a voucher for date should be encouraged and nobody should feel embarrased to do so!
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,283Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin