Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Living Bate
    • By Living Bate 13th Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    • 29Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Living Bate
    Career Advice?
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    Career Advice? 13th Feb 18 at 9:53 AM
    Hello all,

I am a 36 year old male looking for career advice and i don't really know where to get it. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Brief synopsis:

In 2009 I joined a construction company in a general admin role.

From 2010 - 2012 I completed a Foundation Degree in the science of surveying through day release from work.

In 2012 I began training as a Quantity Surveyor at work and began a degree in Project Management in Construction

by 2015 I completed my degree and was working as a QS for the construction company

in 2016 I left my previous company and got a job as a QS for an engineering company

now in 2018 I am looking for a new job and I just don't know where to go. I feel I've fallen into a grey intermediate area where my wage demands are slightly higher than basic level QS, but i'm not experienced / qualified enough for a Senior level.

I currently earn 32k. I'm not ready for a 60k job, but i'm also not prepared to drop to 25k.

I need advice on where to go from here. I obviously keen to progress and learn, and not so keen to regress, unless its for a good training opportunity.

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 14th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 1,884 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    I don't know anything about your particular field but in general I'd start looking at job ads of where you want to be, to see what you need to do to get there. Can you do another qualification? Can you search for a company that offers development opportunities? Somewhere where you can gain experience and move up the ladder? Are there management opportunities in your field? Could you get a supervisory qualification?
    • Living Bate
    • By Living Bate 15th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Living Bate
    • 15th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

I guess I don't really know what I need, which is where the problem lies.

I suppose I need to try and get in touch with some senior Quantity Surveyors and find out off them what I need.

Thanks again.
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 15th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 1,310 Thanks
    Lungboy
    • 15th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    Any reason you want to leave your current job? Could you stay in your current job and get them to fund your qualifications while you accrue experience?
    • Living Bate
    • By Living Bate 15th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Living Bate
    • 15th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    Any reason you want to leave your current job? Could you stay in your current job and get them to fund your qualifications while you accrue experience?
    Originally posted by Lungboy

when I started my current job 16 months ago, this is what i was led to believe would happen

unfortunately the chairman seems to promise the earth to everyone at interview stage and then goes cold once they are in
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 10,655 Posts
    • 8,897 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 15th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    Originally posted by Lungboy
    The OP has neglected to mention that senior members of staff physically assault unassuming employees of near pensionable age and the owner of the company does a nice line in bribery and blackmail
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 15th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 1,310 Thanks
    Lungboy
    • 15th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    The OP has neglected to mention that senior members of staff physically assault unassuming employees of near pensionable age and the owner of the company does a nice line in bribery and blackmail
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Ah yes, I see the other thread now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,179Posts Today

7,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin