Career Advice?

Hello all,

I am a 36 year old male looking for career advice and i don't really know where to get it. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Brief synopsis:

In 2009 I joined a construction company in a general admin role.

From 2010 - 2012 I completed a Foundation Degree in the science of surveying through day release from work.

In 2012 I began training as a Quantity Surveyor at work and began a degree in Project Management in Construction

by 2015 I completed my degree and was working as a QS for the construction company

in 2016 I left my previous company and got a job as a QS for an engineering company

now in 2018 I am looking for a new job and I just don't know where to go. I feel I've fallen into a grey intermediate area where my wage demands are slightly higher than basic level QS, but i'm not experienced / qualified enough for a Senior level.

I currently earn £32k. I'm not ready for a £60k job, but i'm also not prepared to drop to £25k.

I need advice on where to go from here. I obviously keen to progress and learn, and not so keen to regress, unless its for a good training opportunity.

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't know anything about your particular field but in general I'd start looking at job ads of where you want to be, to see what you need to do to get there. Can you do another qualification? Can you search for a company that offers development opportunities? Somewhere where you can gain experience and move up the ladder? Are there management opportunities in your field? Could you get a supervisory qualification?
  • Thanks for the reply.

I guess I don't really know what I need, which is where the problem lies.

I suppose I need to try and get in touch with some senior Quantity Surveyors and find out off them what I need.

Thanks again.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Any reason you want to leave your current job? Could you stay in your current job and get them to fund your qualifications while you accrue experience?
  • Lungboy wrote: »
    Any reason you want to leave your current job? Could you stay in your current job and get them to fund your qualifications while you accrue experience?

when I started my current job 16 months ago, this is what i was led to believe would happen

unfortunately the chairman seems to promise the earth to everyone at interview stage and then goes cold once they are in
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lungboy wrote: »

The OP has neglected to mention that senior members of staff physically assault unassuming employees of near pensionable age and the owner of the company does a nice line in bribery and blackmail
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    The OP has neglected to mention that senior members of staff physically assault unassuming employees of near pensionable age and the owner of the company does a nice line in bribery and blackmail

Ah yes, I see the other thread now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport