Newbie here - can I have some advice from winners?

Options
Hello, I am new to MSE forums. I used to enter competitions all the time when i was younger and won a few prizes including a week trip to Alton Towers when I was 6, two game boy advances with games, CDs, huge box of forever friends toys...

As a new member, I'm looking for advice from winners please - those of you who have been lucky to win, for those winning entries, did you opt in to receive their newsletter etc? I'm just wondering if companies favour entries who opt in to receive their marketing? How did it work with you?

Look forward to hearing your replies.

Best, SJ

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Useful guide is posted here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1014121

and includes things like newsletter signups - if the competition abides by the rules it makes no difference if you sign-up or not unless sign-up is a condition of entry.

(No-one but the competition runner can say for sure, I don't sign-up and have won but have no idea if I would have won more if I had signed-up)
  • GlitterFizz
    Options
    I have won abou 60 competitions since starting last August, mostly small things....books, tickets, makeup but also a weeks holiday, a bathroom suite and £100 voucher. I enter about 200 a day if counting social media. I always sign up for the newsletters and have to go through my emails a few times a day to get rid of junk but I do worry that companies will be preferential to subscribers.
    Fruit 'n Nut :p
  • bluesj
    Options
    Thank you, that thread is really helpful. I am being selective of what competitions I enter, so if I like the company/website, them I will sign up but I just wondered generally, how other people have won. Its good to hear that you don't really have to sign up for newsletters to win, although as always, it is down to pot luck :) hoping to win something now, I am determined
  • mkaml
    mkaml Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have won abou 60 competitions since starting last August.

I'm in awe of this, I never win anything.
    Congratulations to you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport