Not valid for London Terminal season ticket

Options
Hi there,

I'm about to move to the sticks and will have to get a different season ticket to get to work in Wimbledon. The best option is a "Not valid for travel via (changing trains or passing through) London Terminals" season ticket. This is all clear so far and I should be able to change at Clapham Junction without problems as long as I don't take the tube I guess.

Now my question is - occasionally I want to go to London centre and it would make most sense to take the train all the way to Victoria, but seeing as my ticket doesn't permit me to go there, what's the best way to deal with this? Obviously I don't want to buy a ticket for all the way since I will have paid for most of the journey through my season ticket already.

So what can I do:
Go to Clapham Junction and buy a ticket for the remainder of the journey?
Can I buy a ticket at departure for a journey from Clapham to Victoria?
Any other option?

Thanks

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ml4711 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm about to move to the sticks and will have to get a different season ticket to get to work in Wimbledon. The best option is a "Not valid for travel via (changing trains or passing through) London Terminals" season ticket. This is all clear so far and I should be able to change at Clapham Junction without problems as long as I don't take the tube I guess.

Now my question is - occasionally I want to go to London centre and it would make most sense to take the train all the way to Victoria, but seeing as my ticket doesn't permit me to go there, what's the best way to deal with this? Obviously I don't want to buy a ticket for all the way since I will have paid for most of the journey through my season ticket already.

So what can I do:
    Go to Clapham Junction and buy a ticket for the remainder of the journey?
    Can I buy a ticket at departure for a journey from Clapham to Victoria?
    Any other option?

Thanks
    Any train ticket can be bought at any train station that has a ticket office.
    So if your departure station has a ticket office, the buy your CLJ to VIC ticket there.

Alternatively, travel to CLJ using your season ticket, then use Oyster or Contactless to VIC.
  • ml4711
    Options
    Ah ok, if I can buy CLJ to VIC from my departure, that would do the trick.

Using Oyster from CLJ to VIC: Wouldn't I have to get off the train at CLJ, leave the station, re-enter by tapping in so I can tap out at VIC without being charged the penalty fee?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ml4711 wrote: »
    Using Oyster from CLJ to VIC: Wouldn't I have to get off the train at CLJ, leave the station, re-enter by tapping in so I can tap out at VIC without being charged the penalty fee?
    Yes you would.

It wasn't clear whether you would be changing at CLJ anyway.
    I know from Wimbledon trains do not go to VIC, but you didn't say where 'the sticks' is.
  • ml4711
    Options
    Sticks = East Grinstead :)

I would normally take the train from there, change at CLJ to get to Wimbledon.

I was just looking for an easy way to be able to take the train through to VIC, if I had to every now and then...
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    Options
    Using Oyster/contactless you would have to alight, touch in and reboard at CLJ but there are plenty of trains from there to VIC.

Depending on your journey times/if you have a Railcard* discount, it may be cheaper to use a paper ticket (which you can buy at East Grinstead) instead of Oyster/contactless and then you can stay on the same train.

One day we will have a national smartcard which will solve this kind of problem!

*Even if you don't have one now, if you buy your ticket as an annual you will get a Gold Card which gives you a discount on some paper tickets.
  • KittenChops
    Options
    I used to have a gold card / annual season ticket up to zone 4. On the odd occasion where I wanted to go into zone 1, I'd just buy a paper ticket (with gold card discount) for the extra bit.
  • ml4711
    Options
    Excellent, thanks for the quick responses. I've got a much better idea now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure