Multiple debts w/ Lowell and possible ccj action

Hi I have previously posted on here about my situation and found this forum so helpful. I have 6 different debts that are now all in the hands of Lowell. Two are now statute barred and the other four will be by October of this year. What I’m wondering is if I do receive a ccj letter from Lowell within that time will they be able to go after all of those debts in one go? Or would it be separate court actions? I wonder this as for the first time every they have been sending one letter for all debts as opposed to 1 for each separately. Now this is a hypothetical but with the stress of all this possibly being behind me soon but then cut short at the last minute with the threat of court from them makes me extremely anxious. No matter what happens I am a student living at hon and I am not in or will be in full time employment for another two years so I have no choice but to not pay as I have no income.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Comments

• Also as previously stated two are statute barred. I am scared to sen and of the letters that this forum has suggested as they may catch wind of what I am doing and immediately take me to court over the remaining four?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Krussxo21

Civil Procedure Rule (CPR) 7.3 covers the issue on the right to use one claim form to start two or more claims:

7.3 A claimant may use a single claim form to start all claims which can be conveniently disposed of in the same proceedings.

If Lowell do consider starting court action they should send you a letter before claim. This will give you the option to admit the debt, dispute the debt, ask for more information or ask for time to seek debt advice. You can of course raise a dispute that some of the debts are statute barred. If Lowell can't prove otherwise, they should stop pursuing you for those particular debts.

Susie
    @natdebtline

We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    I've never known Lowell to double-up in that manner. It would make things very difficult to process as, in this case, some debts would be unenforceable and some not.

I suspect that's unlikely

What I do know is that since 1 Oct 2017, they must precede a court claim with a specifically worded letter and reply form

https://debtcamel.co.uk/letter-before-claim-ccj/

and what you then do is tick box C and give 'em a list in Box I.

Slows everything down nicely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport