Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • julie777
    • By julie777 7th Feb 18, 7:03 AM
    • 283Posts
    • 216Thanks
    julie777
    Warning for self employed
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:03 AM
    Warning for self employed 7th Feb 18 at 7:03 AM
    HMRC expect a self assessment tax return EVEN THOUGH THEY NO LONGER ASK FOR IT IN ANY WAY!!!
    We always used to get a letter but nearly got caught out this year because there was no letter or email.
    In the last couple of months there were emails linking to help pages but it wasn't till 9 days before the January deadline that they actually told him YOU MUST COMPLETE A SA.
    Up till then we assumed the emails were sent to everyone, even ones who were not required to submit returns.
    Also due to health issues he did not earn anything at all in that year.
    Sounds like I was stupid?
    His earnings were so low previously that we thought they had given up requesting SA.
    THEY SHOULDN'T SUDDENLY STOP ASKING FOR THEM WITH NO EXPLANATION.
    If they have been using his email address for all the recent general messages why couldn't they have sent him one last April saying clearly BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN DOING SELF ASSESSMENT YOU NEED TO DO IT AGAIN THIS YEAR EVEN IF WE DO NOT WRITE TO YOU OR YOUR EARNINGS HAVE DROPPED OR ARE ZERO.
    Jobdone. Everyone knows where they stand.
    Perhaps they prefer to rake in all the fines from people caught out by their lack of clarity.
Page 1
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 7th Feb 18, 7:19 AM
    • 16,679 Posts
    • 41,267 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:19 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:19 AM
    Why are you angry at the HMRC for a failure that is accountable to your DP. Why blaming someone for not telling you to do something that is your responsibility to do. All he had to do was log in on his account online. Why would he assumed he suddenly didn't need to do a SA this year when he always had done before.

I don't understand why you feel that your DP is in no way responsible for not doing a SA just because he didn't get an email to tell him that he needed to.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 7th Feb 18, 7:39 AM
    • 3,417 Posts
    • 2,537 Thanks
    marlot
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:39 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:39 AM
    My wife is self employed (very small business). I've just asked her, and she said that when she declared herself self-employed, HMRC told her she would be doing a self-assessment every year.

I (employed by a firm) received a letter a couple of years ago telling me that I don't need to complete a SA return as my affairs get handled through PAYE.

If you're not earning and don't expect to in the future, you could just tell HMRC that you've stopped and I'm sure they'll take you off the list?
    • ACG
    • By ACG 7th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 16,828 Posts
    • 8,780 Thanks
    ACG
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    As far as I am aware, everyone who is self employed no matter what their income is needs to do a self assessment.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 4,553 Posts
    • 7,641 Thanks
    sangie595
    HMRC expect a self assessment tax return EVEN THOUGH THEY NO LONGER ASK FOR IT IN ANY WAY!!!
    We always used to get a letter but nearly got caught out this year because there was no letter or email.
    In the last couple of months there were emails linking to help pages but it wasn't till 9 days before the January deadline that they actually told him YOU MUST COMPLETE A SA.
    Up till then we assumed the emails were sent to everyone, even ones who were not required to submit returns.
    His earnings were so low previously that we thought they had given up requesting SA.
    If they have been using his email address for all the recent general messages why couldn't they have sent him one last April saying clearly BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN DOING SELF ASSESSMENT YOU NEED TO DO IT AGAIN THIS YEAR EVEN IF WE DO NOT WRITE TO YOU OR YOUR EARNINGS HAVE DROPPED OR ARE ZERO.
    Perhaps they prefer to rake in all the fines from people caught out by their lack of clarity.
    Originally posted by julie777
    Bening an adult in society means that we are responsible to checking what we need to know and do. You don't need emails to remind you to obey the law, or to go to the doctor if you are ill? You made assumptions, and now you are angry because the assumptions you made are wrong. That doesn't make any sense. Don't make assumptions.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 7th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 7,402 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    How are HMRC going to know that you haven't earned anything (through self-employment) unless you tell them?
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 7th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Katapolt
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    I earned under 5000 in the last 3 years being self employed but i still know every year i have to complete a tax return, even if its says i earned very little.

I saw many adverts online, the radio and TV reminding if you're self employed you must file a return by the deadline, surely you didn't manage to miss all of those, or did you just assume they weren't applicable?
    FTB 2017
    Currently dealing with a Quarter Life Crisis
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 7th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 3,788 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    Yes, you were.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    its call SELF-assessment, work it out.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    • 8,336 Posts
    • 6,152 Thanks
    pmduk
    NB For the future: he'll need to complete a self-assessment every year until he notifies HMRC that he's no longer self-employed and they tell him it is no longer required.

Put it in your diary now.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 7th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 6,682 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    Seriously?????
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 7th Feb 18, 2:35 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    Just so everyone is aware

From April 2018 most self employed people will have to submit quarterly information

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/digital-reporting-and-record-keeping-for-business-income-tax/making-tax-digital-for-business

Edit: This has been delayed to 2020
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Feb 18, 9:59 PM
    • 38,481 Posts
    • 35,150 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I'd suggest the OP checks her DP's emails: maybe my DH is particularly favoured but he had two emails from HMRC at the start of January.

The first one said:
    Dear customer,

The Self Assessment tax return and payment deadline is 31 January.

Our records show that you had nothing to pay on your tax return last year. However, you still need to send us a return this year, even if you think you've nothing to pay.

If you've done this in the last few days, thank you. You don't need to do anything else.

If not, you can do it now by going online to GOV.UK and entering 'Self Assessment' in the search box.

Please remember that, even if you've completed your return, you also need to pay anything you owe by 31 January.

Please do not email a response to this message. You can tweet us @HMRCcustomers if you need any help.
    The second one had links to webinars etc, but finished:
    Do I need to send in a tax return for 2016/2017? Want to know whether you need to send us a tax return for 6 April 2016 to 5 April 2017? Use our tool on the GOV.UK website.
    so I'm glad they did cotton on in time, but I don't think it's fair to say that HMRC don't remind people!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,189Posts Today

7,920Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin