Warning for self employed

HMRC expect a self assessment tax return EVEN THOUGH THEY NO LONGER ASK FOR IT IN ANY WAY!!!
We always used to get a letter but nearly got caught out this year because there was no letter or email.
In the last couple of months there were emails linking to help pages but it wasn't till 9 days before the January deadline that they actually told him YOU MUST COMPLETE A SA.
Up till then we assumed the emails were sent to everyone, even ones who were not required to submit returns.
Also due to health issues he did not earn anything at all in that year.
Sounds like I was stupid?
His earnings were so low previously that we thought they had given up requesting SA.
THEY SHOULDN'T SUDDENLY STOP ASKING FOR THEM WITH NO EXPLANATION.
If they have been using his email address for all the recent general messages why couldn't they have sent him one last April saying clearly BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN DOING SELF ASSESSMENT YOU NEED TO DO IT AGAIN THIS YEAR EVEN IF WE DO NOT WRITE TO YOU OR YOUR EARNINGS HAVE DROPPED OR ARE ZERO.
Jobdone. Everyone knows where they stand.
Perhaps they prefer to rake in all the fines from people caught out by their lack of clarity.

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why are you angry at the HMRC for a failure that is accountable to your DP. Why blaming someone for not telling you to do something that is your responsibility to do. All he had to do was log in on his account online. Why would he assumed he suddenly didn't need to do a SA this year when he always had done before.

I don't understand why you feel that your DP is in no way responsible for not doing a SA just because he didn't get an email to tell him that he needed to.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My wife is self employed (very small business). I've just asked her, and she said that when she declared herself self-employed, HMRC told her she would be doing a self-assessment every year.

I (employed by a firm) received a letter a couple of years ago telling me that I don't need to complete a SA return as my affairs get handled through PAYE.

If you're not earning and don't expect to in the future, you could just tell HMRC that you've stopped and I'm sure they'll take you off the list?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    As far as I am aware, everyone who is self employed no matter what their income is needs to do a self assessment.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    julie777 wrote: »
    HMRC expect a self assessment tax return EVEN THOUGH THEY NO LONGER ASK FOR IT IN ANY WAY!!!
    We always used to get a letter but nearly got caught out this year because there was no letter or email.
    In the last couple of months there were emails linking to help pages but it wasn't till 9 days before the January deadline that they actually told him YOU MUST COMPLETE A SA.
    Up till then we assumed the emails were sent to everyone, even ones who were not required to submit returns.
    His earnings were so low previously that we thought they had given up requesting SA.
    If they have been using his email address for all the recent general messages why couldn't they have sent him one last April saying clearly BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN DOING SELF ASSESSMENT YOU NEED TO DO IT AGAIN THIS YEAR EVEN IF WE DO NOT WRITE TO YOU OR YOUR EARNINGS HAVE DROPPED OR ARE ZERO.
    Perhaps they prefer to rake in all the fines from people caught out by their lack of clarity.
    Bening an adult in society means that we are responsible to checking what we need to know and do. You don't need emails to remind you to obey the law, or to go to the doctor if you are ill? You made assumptions, and now you are angry because the assumptions you made are wrong. That doesn't make any sense. Don't make assumptions.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    How are HMRC going to know that you haven't earned anything (through self-employment) unless you tell them?
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I earned under £5000 in the last 3 years being self employed but i still know every year i have to complete a tax return, even if its says i earned very little.

I saw many adverts online, the radio and TV reminding if you're self employed you must file a return by the deadline, surely you didn't manage to miss all of those, or did you just assume they weren't applicable?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite

Yes, you were.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    its call SELF-assessment, work it out.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    NB For the future: he'll need to complete a self-assessment every year until he notifies HMRC that he's no longer self-employed and they tell him it is no longer required.

Put it in your diary now.
  • julie777 wrote: »
    Seriously?????
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure