Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 2nd Feb 18, 11:47 PM
    • 1,391Posts
    • 3,122Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Shoes with no socks on
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:47 PM
    Shoes with no socks on 2nd Feb 18 at 11:47 PM
    Yeah I know it's fashionable these days, especially with these hipster men wearing loafters/boat shoes with ankle length or rolled up trousers.

But isn't this uncomfortable, sweaty and smelly?

Wouldn't no socks cause blisters and if you've been wearing shoes for even half a day it must smell when you take them off.

I have a few footsies and liners but they're not as good as actual cotton socks.

Gawd I feel old for moaning about modern trend.
Page 1
    • Ash Mc
    • By Ash Mc 3rd Feb 18, 1:25 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Ash Mc
    • 3rd Feb 18, 1:25 AM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 1:25 AM

Originally posted by AubreyMac
    If the cap fits
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 3rd Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 7,555 Posts
    • 16,777 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    • 3rd Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    Yeah I know it's fashionable these days, especially with these hipster men wearing loafters/boat shoes with ankle length or rolled up trousers.

Wouldn't no socks cause blisters and if you've been wearing shoes for even half a day it must smell when you take them off.

I have a few footsies and liners but they're not as good as actual cotton socks.

I did laugh at this because sometime after my son and youngest daughter last stayed here together, I found a Scrabble message on the fridge that read 'Only losers wear boat shoes!'

My feet get cold very quickly - just the thought of not wearing socks inside my shoes makes me shiver!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 3rd Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 14,075 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 3rd Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    I hate to admit this as it makes me feel like a saddo but has no-one else head of trainer socks aka 'invisible' socks

I first saw them in America over 10 years ago when the lady I was with took her trainers of and instead of the bare feet I was expecting to see, she had really short socks on that didn't show above the top of the trainers.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 77.7
    Total so far - 1537.8
    • Ames
    • By Ames 3rd Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 17,239 Posts
    • 30,367 Thanks
    Ames
    • 3rd Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    I hate to admit this as it makes me feel like a saddo but has no-one else head of trainer socks aka 'invisible' socks

I first saw them in America over 10 years ago when the lady I was with took her trainers of and instead of the bare feet I was expecting to see, she had really short socks on that didn't show above the top of the trainers.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Yes, they're widely available. I don't think I've seen anywhere that sells socks that doesn't sell them. I tried them once but didn't like them, I think they slipped down at the heel so they only covered the front of my foot.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 3rd Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 3rd Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    I don!!!8217;t wear socks with my sheepskin lined winter boots. Great to put bare feet into and my feet don!!!8217;t smell, nor do my boots and no blisters. If I!!!8217;m visiting anyone I have to remember and bring socks or slippers when I take my boots off.
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 3rd Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 2,949 Thanks
    harrys nan
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    I don!!!8217;t wear socks with my sheepskin lined winter boots. Great to put bare feet into and my feet don!!!8217;t smell, nor do my boots and no blisters. If I!!!8217;m visiting anyone I have to remember and bring socks or slippers when I take my boots off.
    Originally posted by comeandgo

I'm not being rude, but, What does don!!!8217 mean for heaven's sake .
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 3rd Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 8,562 Posts
    • 14,001 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 3rd Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    If the cap fits
    Originally posted by Ash Mc
    Shouldn't it be "If the sock fits"?
    Sleazy
    In Vino Veritas, In Aqua Sanitas
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 3rd Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 7,555 Posts
    • 16,777 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    • 3rd Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    Yes, they're widely available. I don't think I've seen anywhere that sells socks that doesn't sell them. I tried them once but didn't like them, I think they slipped down at the heel so they only covered the front of my foot.
    Originally posted by Ames
    I hate gaps! Brrrr!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 3rd Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 7,706 Posts
    • 16,821 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I'm not being rude, but, What does don!!!8217 mean for heaven's sake .
    Originally posted by harrys nan
    From reading posts on other boards, it appears that there is a problem with Apple products being unable to post an apostrophe. Instead, numbers and exclamation marks are appearing instead. (I'm not certain that it is just apostrophes, it may be other punctuation marks as well).
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 3rd Feb 18, 6:23 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 2,949 Thanks
    harrys nan
    I have an Apple iPhone and Ipad and I don't have a problem like that
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 3rd Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 4,272 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I bought a few pair of those trainer socks last year. I just thought, they're a bargain, it wasn't until i got home and took them out of the packet that i realised they weren't proper socks. I'll wear them around the house with my slippers on.
    I didn't realise it was fashionable not to wear socks with shoes. But there again the nearest i come to a fashion label, is one that says Oxfam.
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 3rd Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    Lizabeth21

Me too. ( mine seems to be fine)
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 3rd Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    • 2,525 Posts
    • 6,953 Thanks
    melanzana
    It is not, and never will be my problem to worry about those who do not wear socks in their shoes!

Let them at it. Their problem surely, if they have one that is!

But as others have said, I reckon many of them wear the invisible sock things anyway.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 3rd Feb 18, 7:15 PM
    • 13,926 Posts
    • 54,207 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Me too. ( mine seems to be fine)
    Originally posted by Lizabeth21
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5786699
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 3rd Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Coincidence! Today I went to Tesco and saw a 'trendy' guy with rolled up trousers and no socks walking funny towards Tesco too. He was sort of bopping. We reached the automatic doors at the same time and a member of staff was re-filling the baskets and he asks the staff where the plasters were as his shoes were causing blisters!

Regarding invisible or trainer socks, I have those but don't find them very effective as for me they tend to roll down and scrunch up under my feet. Plus its the Achilles heel area that I tend to get most blisters (its also where my socks thin down and wear out first) so for trainers I end up wearing proper socks. Even trainer socks with those extra tabs for Achilles heel roll down too.

Nowadays you can get footsies with a gel grip at the back and they are good (as in they stay put) for some shoes but the material are thin like tights and are not as absorbent as cotton socks.
    • I am spartacus
    • By I am spartacus 13th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    I am spartacus
    ........in cold weather.
    I know this one, Talking Heads -"Houses in motion". (great song)
    I am, therefore I think.

• donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 13th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 27,817 Posts
    • 15,077 Thanks
    donnajunkie

Assuming this hasnt been said already,. They maybe wearing ankle socks.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 13th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 36,481 Posts
    • 145,171 Thanks
    tommix
    I come from a family of cobblers, and I was always taught that no matter what life throws at you, a good pair of socks and a stout pair of boots will get you through it.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 13th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    ceredigion
    I come from a family of cobblers, and I was always taught that no matter what life throws at you, a good pair of socks and a stout pair of boots will get you through it.
    Originally posted by tommix

You talking cobblers agan tommix.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin