Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 17th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 1,343Posts
    • 572Thanks
    Exemplar
    Genuine Work From Home Jobs
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    Genuine Work From Home Jobs 17th Jan 18 at 9:02 PM
    Hi All,

I was hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction for employers that allow people to work from home? I have a good PC, good broadband and was hoping that there was someone out there that may point me correctly?

Unfortunately Google does not suggest anything legitimate..

Ideally BT or someone else?

Thanks in advance.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
Page 1
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 17th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    We'd all be doing it if it was just a case of being pointed in the right direction
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 17th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Exemplar
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    We'd all be doing it if it was just a case of being pointed in the right direction
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    #useful post.....not.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 17th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 4,971 Posts
    • 12,413 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    But true.

I think it’s just a case of spotting that job advert.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 17th Jan 18, 10:03 PM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 17th Jan 18, 10:03 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 10:03 PM
    #useful post.....not.
    Originally posted by Exemplar
    Its more useful than you think, the end result of this thread (Not getting a magical direction) will confirm it.
    • Nothanks
    • By Nothanks 18th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Nothanks
    • 18th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    • 18th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    I've had this conversation with so many people.

I work from home, attend meetings, manage my own diary. Start late to spend time with my son, work late to catch up.

Here's the big secret - no one ever employed someone solely because the applicant really liked the working pattern. Get a job for a decent sized firm doing what interests you, then when you're indispensable, look at how to flexible work from home. It's VERY common in finance sector for example.
    Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 18th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 7,410 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 18th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 18th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    Ditto - I work from home. I got the job by spending a lifetime in a variety of 'normal' jobs that together gave me the skills and confidence to do what I do now, and at the same time meeting and marrying a man who had spent a lifetime building up his skills and experience to a point where he is one of the best in the world in his sector.

When we decided to start our own company, he had all the technical skills and experience to go and do the work, and I had all the finance/admin/negotiating skills to do everything else associated with the business.

Yes, it's a great lifestyle. Yes, I can (up to a point) choose the hours I work - sometimes I 'choose' to work at 11 o'clock at night because something needs to be done. No, it didn't just happen. We certainly didn't start from a point of 'I want to work from home', we started from a point of 'how can we leverage our skills to maximise our joint income?'.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 18th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 18th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 18th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    Lots of jobs can be done at home from a computer. The issue is that you have not given anyone a clue if what you can do or what qualifications you may have. Could you be a lawyer, accountant, aeronautical engineer?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 35,766 Posts
    • 41,942 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 18th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 18th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    There are no high earnings legitimate work from home jobs

You need a unique niche but that's the problem , you need to find one , develop it and grow income.

Some people earn good money doing "experiences" on Airbnb but it's depends where you live and then finding something unique .

But work from home big money is a no go
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • archived user
    I've had this conversation with so many people.

I work from home, attend meetings, manage my own diary. Start late to spend time with my son, work late to catch up.

Here's the big secret - no one ever employed someone solely because the applicant really liked the working pattern. Get a job for a decent sized firm doing what interests you, then when you're indispensable, look at how to flexible work from home. It's VERY common in finance sector for example.
    Originally posted by Nothanks
    Agree with above. Get a good job (need to be qualified though as these types of jobs with this kind of flexibility are few are far between), then negotiate working at home days.

Friend of mine was an insurance broker who worked for themselves - home office. Nice number really if you can do it.
    • Madbags
    • By Madbags 18th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Madbags
    Agree with above. Get a good job (need to be qualified though as these types of jobs with this kind of flexibility are few are far between), then negotiate working at home days.

Friend of mine was an insurance broker who worked for themselves - home office. Nice number really if you can do it.
    Originally posted by andydownes123
    My current boss was practically working from home (built an office in his back garden) until he needed to hire someone else to help him (me). Now he has a unit in a business park. But the point is, he was doing this for the last 4 years, he didn't need to accept all the extra work if he didn't want it and could still be working in his "shed". The only reason he built the office is because he wanted it semi-separate from his home life he could have just as easily done it all from a study or his living room.

Just got to find something you want to do and build on it from there.
    Last edited by Madbags; 18-01-2018 at 9:40 AM.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    • 35,766 Posts
    • 41,942 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Spam gone
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Nothanks
    • By Nothanks 18th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Nothanks
    Come on OP! I want to know now....what is it you actually want to do?
    Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 22nd Mar 18, 12:18 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    There are jobs but it depends on what sector you are working in. I work in Sales and my pass two jobs have been working from. I have a friend that works in compliance and got offered a job at home.

I would also second the point about becoming indispensable in your role. When I was a little younger, I was in sales with a pretty clear objective; win new business.

The role was supposed to be 9 to 5 but after consistently blowing away numbers, I would come in and leave when I wanted to. Team manager wasn!!!8217;t happy about it and tried to put his foot down a few times but my actual boss backed me because I was consistently bringing in the numbers.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 22nd Mar 18, 9:10 AM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    I don't know many people that work from home but the ones I do have fallen into it (i.e they worked for the company before the role came up etc)

Your best bet is to create your own business or develop in a skill like website design etc that you can do from home, I don't believe there are many work from home jobs that you don't need skills for apart from call center types.

I would research jobs you could do from home and work towards the skills needed, rather then trying to find one straight off the bat with no experience as you'll most likely just get offered survery and shopping ones..
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 22nd Mar 18, 9:26 AM
    • 19,682 Posts
    • 11,225 Thanks
    ACG
    Why not create your own job?
    When I set up on my own, I worked from home. Now I have an office and employees, but to honest I rarely go to the office.

Most of the online work from home jobs are things like selling juice plus or whatever else your friends are plastering all over facebook.

Have your tried things like freelancer?

I suppose it will ultimately depend on what your skills are. If you have none, then you are unlikely to get anything that pays remotely close to minimum wage as it will all be self employed this or that.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 23rd Mar 18, 4:33 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    halogen
    I've had legit work from home jobs for 20 years. On occasion I've had to register as SE an my my own tax but other than that I've not 'run my own business' in the traditional sense. HOWEVER, my WFH jobs have always been ones that exist primarily as an addition to another income stream. Unless you're willing to **** **** ******* *** or as other posters say run a business, I don't know of any living wage income level jobs.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 4th Oct 18, 10:33 AM
    • 5,422 Posts
    • 6,232 Thanks
    robatwork
    You have a good PC and good internet, but you don't say what *you're* good at. If you're good at nothing then nobody would want to employ you for anything, especially from home.

Are you qualified? Can you teach? You can do tuition from home via skype for example. Can you sew? Are you articulate? Can you sell?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 4th Oct 18, 12:48 PM
    • 5,021 Posts
    • 8,475 Thanks
    Smodlet
    This thread was begun nearly a year ago...
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 5th Oct 18, 8:38 PM
    • 5,422 Posts
    • 6,232 Thanks
    robatwork
    This thread was begun nearly a year ago...
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    No idea why it jumped to the top of my queue - there must have been a posting on it, now deleted. So I look like a sad sack...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

265Posts Today

1,586Users online

Martin's Twitter