PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Options

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 31

Just under a tenner spent today at Tescos on items that I had run out of - noodles and stir fry sauce.

As it is Chinese New Year on 16th February, many of the supermarkets have a Chinese section promotion and Tesco was no exception - everything that I bought was half price so a good few meals there :T
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 32

A MAJOR bargain today, my Mum is visiting at Easter but has limited mobility so I visited a community project called GOFA (Good Old Furniture Available) and picked up a barely used wheelchair for £5 :eek:

When we got home my husband looked at the instruction book and there was the receipt from 2014 when it was bought for................

£230
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 33

Being a bargain hunter combined with being a certified shopaholic, No Spend Days are extremely hard for me so I'm dead chuffed to have notched up another one today :j
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 34

LSD

No I'm not hallucinating, I've had another Low Spend Day :j

£3.94 in Tescos for pork fillet, 3 tins of tomatoes and a vegetable stew pack and 50p in our local cancer charity shop for a mini size soap and glory and an Easter card. RESULT

I am really enjoying this challenge and thank you all for your words of encouragement :T
  • TM6
    edited 24 February 2018 at 5:52PM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 35

I was really pleased with today as we did a full inventory of our food cupboards and they are going down nicely.
    Several items that we thought we needed were in fact lurking at the back and so were struck off our shopping list

We are still exploring different shopping alternatives so today we placed our first order with Approved Food since we moved down here to Cornwall.

Thanks to Martin :money: we put in a 10% discount code and although I am really pleased with what I bought this time round, I don't think I will shop with them on a regular basis for 3 reasons

1. There is a minimum spend of £25
    2. Unless you spend £55 you have to pay p&p
    3. Much of what they sell we don't eat and so I spent ages online trying to get up to the minimum spend

How do you find approved food?

So apart from £28 spent on food, nothing else was spent :T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have never bought food online as I prefer to have a good look around to see what bargains I can find .

But I can appreciate that many folk with families use them.As I live alone and my cupboards seem to be over full anyway it would be daft for me to stock up even more. :)

I have so far only shopped once this month which I am pleased with as I am trying to use up some of the food mountain in my store cupboards and freezer.

My second shop for this month will be on Tuesday as I will need by then some fresh fruit and veg and a few odds and ends .I seem now to have perfected only, if possible, food shopping around twice a month at most, which has cut down in impulse buying no end.:)
    Mind you this month I have been quite lucky as I have been out quite a bit in the evenings so not had to bother with cooking many meals.

Tonight's dinner will be the veggie curry I retrieved from my freezer yesterday but by the time I got home from Dds I didn't fancy eating much so just had an omelette instead so it will be dinner tonight with some rice and for pud I will have a bit more of the Christmas panettone that has been lurking in my cupboard.It was a huge one and its taking ages to eat I will make some custard to top it and possibly a bit of tinned fruit as well, I am determined to finish it off Its kept really well and is still very soft as its got a sealed wire around it to keep it in good condition :):):) its not something I would have bought, it was a present from my DGS g/f, she is French and thought I would like something different :):):) Can't believe how long its lasted though :):)

JackieO xx
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't use approved foods either, P&P to here is too expensive

One place I do use is the factory shop and the chicken processing plant, Ive had some great bargains from there in the past

As for running the stores down. don't run down too much as you will end up having an expensive shop due. What I keep now is one in use, one in stock (except tinned toms and beans of which I aways have 4 in store) That way I keep stocked without having to bust the budget in any one week or month
  • TM6
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I have never bought food online as I prefer to have a good look around to see what bargains I can find .

But I can appreciate that many folk with families use them.As I live alone and my cupboards seem to be over full anyway it would be daft for me to stock up even more. :)

I have so far only shopped once this month which I am pleased with as I am trying to use up some of the food mountain in my store cupboards and freezer.

My second shop for this month will be on Tuesday as I will need by then some fresh fruit and veg and a few odds and ends .I seem now to have perfected only, if possible, food shopping around twice a month at most, which has cut down in impulse buying no end.:)
    Mind you this month I have been quite lucky as I have been out quite a bit in the evenings so not had to bother with cooking many meals.

Tonight's dinner will be the veggie curry I retrieved from my freezer yesterday but by the time I got home from Dds I didn't fancy eating much so just had an omelette instead so it will be dinner tonight with some rice and for pud I will have a bit more of the Christmas panettone that has been lurking in my cupboard.It was a huge one and its taking ages to eat I will make some custard to top it and possibly a bit of tinned fruit as well, I am determined to finish it off Its kept really well and is still very soft as its got a sealed wire around it to keep it in good condition :):):) its not something I would have bought, it was a present from my DGS g/f, she is French and thought I would like something different :):):) Can't believe how long its lasted though :):)

JackieO xx

JackieO, I bow down to you!
    Wowser, how do you only spend £29.22 for January and £12.44 so far for February? What is your secret?
  • TM6
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I don't use approved foods either, P&P to here is too expensive

One place I do use is the factory shop and the chicken processing plant, Ive had some great bargains from there in the past

As for running the stores down. don't run down too much as you will end up having an expensive shop due. What I keep now is one in use, one in stock (except tinned toms and beans of which I aways have 4 in store) That way I keep stocked without having to bust the budget in any one week or month

Hi Suki1964
    Is the chicken processing plant just local to you?

Also does the factory shop have a particular name? We have a 'The Original Factory Shop' in Redruth but we have never been in.

I work for a lady for whom I shop twice a week so it is unlikely that I will ever run out or have an expensive shop but I like your idea of having one in use, one in stock :T

My trouble is when I see a bargain I tend to hit it hard! For example, even though I am on a fiscal fast, I bought 8 (yes 8) packs of long spaghetti as it was 60% cheaper than I usually pay. So you see, I have a long way to go yet :rotfl:
  • TM6
    edited 24 February 2018 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 36

Now we have a freezer, we headed to ASDA to pick up some Quorn for my daughter who is a vegetarian and ASDA had the best offer on and is just round the corner from my favourite Bookers!

We did an up and down in ASDA and put items in that were not on our shopping list :eek: Before we got to the checkout we sat down and looked at our shopping and did the need / want!

The Easter Eggs went back :rotfl: and that was £10 saved

Spent very little in Bookers as they had VERY few reductions, how sad am I that I felt so disappointed

Anyway apart from food shopping, that was it :T

I thought the challenge would get harder as we progressed but at the moment it is getting easier as it is fun exploring different options and people's suggestions.

Also as the weather gets better (it has rained nearly every day for the past 2 months!) we will be spending more time on our glorious beaches or in the countryside which will help ease the spending cravings :rotfl:

Have a great Sunday everyone :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure