Pushing out of job

Hi.
I'm not sure if this is in the right place.
My husband was given 16 hours as a handyman. As a few years went on he was given more and more work, including another site to manage, and has been asking for more hours.
He kept being told they couldn't afford to give him more hours.
Over the last year they have been treating him like s%&£.
He's found out today that they have got a friend of one of the supervisors to do the work my husband does, so they can pay another person but couldn't give hubby extra hours?! It seems like the are trying to force him out of the job so they can give it to this friend of thiers.
My husband has been such a loyal employee, this has really got him down.
He's been there for about 8 years.
Can they force him out like this? Is there anything he can do apart from look for another job?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They're still paying him? That's all he's entitled to.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    If he is contracted to 16 hours and he is getting work and paid for 16 hours, there is nothing more he can do, except look for a job.

There is no law saying that you have to give extra hours to current employees. There are many business reasons to have two part time workers over one full time worker.
  • Hi.
    I'm not sure if this is in the right place.
    My husband was given 16 hours as a handyman. As a few years went on he was given more and more work, including another site to manage, and has been asking for more hours.
    He kept being told they couldn't afford to give him more hours.
    Over the last year they have been treating him like s%&£.
    He's found out today that they have got a friend of one of the supervisors to do the work my husband does, so they can pay another person but couldn't give hubby extra hours?! It seems like the are trying to force him out of the job so they can give it to this friend of thiers.
    My husband has been such a loyal employee, this has really got him down.
    He's been there for about 8 years.
    Can they force him out like this? Is there anything he can do apart from look for another job?

do they still give him 16 hours and pay him for 16 hours? because that's what his job is.
  • Yea, if he's getting his contracted 16 hours then he isn't entitled to a single second more in overtime, unless they offer him it.

With regards to pushing him out of the job, it actually sounds like your husband is just throwing his toys out of the pram here.... I'm not convinced that they are doing it maliciously...

In fact, using part time (16 hour) contracts is fairly commonplace in Supermarkets and I suspect that it relates to the employer NI/Tax payments (you probably don't exceed the tax threshold if working 16 hours per week) and maybe things like SSP. So it may make more sense from a business perspective to have 2x 16 hour employees (the "friend") as apposed to 1x 32 employee who exceeds the tax threshold and forces the employer to make contributions.

That's what I'm thinking anyway.
  • Thanks for the replies, makes sense.
    As for saying he's throwing his toys out the pram, that's just not right. Bless him he does everything he can for this company. Just getting him down having loads of work thrown at him, enough for a full time person really, he does his best. As well as looking after me as I'm disabled.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies, makes sense.
    As for saying he's throwing his toys out the pram, that's just not right. Bless him he does everything he can for this company. Just getting him down having loads of work thrown at him, enough for a full time person really, he does his best. As well as looking after me as I'm disabled.
    We understand. And I can see why your are protective. But... As long as he is given his 16 hours, then that's the end of it.

If I were honest though, I'd think he should start looking for another job. Because he obviously doesn't trust them. Neither do you. And you should trust your gut instinct. Unfortunately, long service or not, if he's on the hit list, they'll get him. It isn't hard. He deserves a better employer.
  • Is the extra work requiring him to work extra time or does he do the work in the time for which he is paid?
  • sangie595 wrote: »
    We understand. And I can see why your are protective. But... As long as he is given his 16 hours, then that's the end of it.

If I were honest though, I'd think he should start looking for another job. Because he obviously doesn't trust them. Neither do you. And you should trust your gut instinct. Unfortunately, long service or not, if he's on the hit list, they'll get him. It isn't hard. He deserves a better employer.

We have been discussing getting another job. You're right, it is a gut feeling. He's being given more and more work that no way can be completed in 16 hours, he ends up staying on just to try and get more done without being paid. If its not completed they go mad. I mean its not little things. He's expected to paint a whole flat in one day(6 hours) that's 1 bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom and entrance. It just can't be done properly in 6 hours.
    Thanks for your honest reply, and non judgement
  • Is the extra work requiring him to work extra time or does he do the work in the time for which he is paid?

He has to stay on to complete the extra work, with no pay. That's not in his contract.
    In fact only the 1 site is in his contract, but he's made to look after 3 in total.
  • He has to stay on to complete the extra work, with no pay. That's not in his contract.
    In fact only the 1 site is in his contract, but he's made to look after 3 in total.

Well he needs to stop doing that right away!

If he's paid for 16 hours, he works 16 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure