Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • monsta2005
    • By monsta2005 10th Jan 18, 1:17 AM
    • 66Posts
    • 3Thanks
    monsta2005
    Settling debts? Advice wanted
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:17 AM
    Settling debts? Advice wanted 10th Jan 18 at 1:17 AM
    Owing to a gambling problem I built up a debt of 21k 2/3 years ago- (glad to report I've beaten the demon btw). Because of mental health issues probably contributing to this somewhat my creditors have been understanding. All cards froze interest and fees, with 3 accepting payments of between 4-9 month. Others didn't ask for any payment.

The debts are spread across 5 cards. Approximate debts are:
    Barclaycard-12500
    MBNA- 3500
    Lloyd's - 1000 (paying 4 a month)
    Bank of Scotland-2000 (9 a month)
    Halifax - 1000 (4 a month).

It should be noted MBNA and Barclaycard have not contacted me for 12 months plus......I do receive regular letters from Lloyds, Halifax, BOS in accordance with my payment schedule

I've managed to find a source of income yes not much to my name about 1k. But regardless there is a possibility family maybe willing to help settle these debts- but not a huge amount....but maybe 1k, if I'm lucky (no guarantee).

Which addresses would I send settlement letters to out if curiosity? I looked but couldn't find the appropriate addresses.

What would be advisable to do in my situation....continue as it is? I was considering making a settlement to my latter 3 creditors with the 1000 I have. Should I phone first? Would you bother contacting the first two creditors?

And further despite looking around, I keep seeing contrasting advice as to the amount i should offer in settling. Is it a possibility I could settle these debts for 2k?

Side note-My mental state isn't great, but thanks to many improvements certainly not as bad as before....

Any views advice much appreciated...
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    Hi Monsta2005,

If you want to do full and final settlements then they should all be done in writing, there is no need to call them first, just send a letter with your offer. There is no official amount required to do these settlements so you could try with 1000 but it would need to be divided between all 5 debts. I will note that 1000 is a bit on the low side (around 5%) but if you don't ask, you definitely won't get.

You will need to divide the money fairly between the debts so they all get the same percentage offer. You will need to get the creditors to agree, in writing, not to chase you for the shortfall, and not to pass to any other organisation that will chase you for the shortfall. They will need to agree to mark your credit file as partially settled and with a 0 and that the account will be closed. If they agree to all of that, in writing, then you make the payment to settle the account. Do not accept confirmation over the phone and keep a copy of everything for 6 years. We have a sample letter to help you - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Full-and-final-settlement-offers-%28sole-name%29.aspx

I appreciate some of the debts haven't contacted you for 12months, but they would actually have up to 6 years to try and take county court action, so they do need dealing with, whether that is through your settlement offer or monthly repayment plans. You could look on old letters for the postal address, or the address information should be available online.

If you are only able to afford small monthly payments, and the full and final offers are unsuccessful, then you could speak to one of the free debt charities for more advice about your options. Bankruptcy could be a potential solution.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • monsta2005
    • By monsta2005 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    monsta2005
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    Can you point me in the direction of the addresses I would send these offers to? I'm lost on that front? Thanks
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    • 14,304 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    Can you point me in the direction of the addresses I would send these offers to? I'm lost on that front? Thanks
    Originally posted by monsta2005
    Looking for the company addresses on there individual websites may be the place to start.......Google is your friend here.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,157Posts Today

5,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin