Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 9th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    • 565Posts
    • 384Thanks
    kangoora
    State Pension Summary
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    State Pension Summary 9th Jan 18 at 11:19 PM
    I'm a little confused about this and just trying to confirm what my state pension summary is telling me.

I've been on my state pension summary and it says my forecast is £159.55/week, fair enough, which is the new basic state pension. Incidentally, I have a COPE of £58.13.

My NI record says I have 38 years of full contributions plus 1 year missing (I worked abroad in 2001-02) and 12 years of further contributions (up to 2029).

My confusion comes from the fact that my first 11 years was in the Armed Forces and for a number of years after that I was definitely contracted out (off the top of my head around 7 years). I thought, with those early years of Armed Forces and contracted out pensions, I would not get the full new State Pension.

Is it saying I need to contribute for a further 12 years to access the full State Pension? Or, is it saying that I currently will get £159.55 without any further NI contributions? I'm hoping the second applies

Your forecast
    • is not a guarantee and is based on the current law
    • is based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2017
    • does not include any increase due to inflation

£159.55 is the most you can get

You cannot improve your forecast any more.

Hope this is clear
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 18,794 Posts
    • 12,944 Thanks
    molerat
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    The top line should state "You can get your SP on dd mm yyyy. Your forecast is £xxx.xx". It should state "You need to continue to contribute to reach your forecast" and also give you an "Estimate based on your NI record up to April 2017" and a "Forecast if you contribute until April xxxx".
    Last edited by molerat; 09-01-2018 at 11:36 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 9th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    capital0ne
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    You will get £195.55 the info is really confusing but just ignore the COPE amount
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Jan 18, 11:44 PM
    • 25,576 Posts
    • 15,105 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:44 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:44 PM
    It would not be impossible to have achieved a full state pension in this scenario.

As at 6.4. 16 two calculations were done and your starting amount was the higher of the two.

£119.30 + (SERPS/S2P - deduction for contracting out).

£155.65 - COPE.

You have been contracted out for less than half of your working life so far so that it is not impossible that your SERPS/S2P was around £95 - if so, you would have achieved a full NSP even after the COD.
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 10th Jan 18, 12:10 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    kangoora
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:10 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:10 AM
    Thanks everyone, I *thought* that it was the case that I'd already qualified for the full SP although nice to have confirmation.

@molerat - yes, it says my forecast is for my birthday in 2029 and it doesn't say anything about further contributions. It does say "Estimate based on your NI record up to April 2017" - cheers

@capitalone - cheers also

@xylophone - thanks for the explanation, I was on an above average salary from 2002 until last year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,599Posts Today

7,463Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin