State Pension Summary

Options
I'm a little confused about this and just trying to confirm what my state pension summary is telling me.

I've been on my state pension summary and it says my forecast is £159.55/week, fair enough, which is the new basic state pension. Incidentally, I have a COPE of £58.13.

My NI record says I have 38 years of full contributions plus 1 year missing (I worked abroad in 2001-02) and 12 years of further contributions (up to 2029).

My confusion comes from the fact that my first 11 years was in the Armed Forces and for a number of years after that I was definitely contracted out (off the top of my head around 7 years). I thought, with those early years of Armed Forces and contracted out pensions, I would not get the full new State Pension.

Is it saying I need to contribute for a further 12 years to access the full State Pension? Or, is it saying that I currently will get £159.55 without any further NI contributions? I'm hoping the second applies :)

Your forecast
  • is not a guarantee and is based on the current law
  • is based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2017
  • does not include any increase due to inflation

£159.55 is the most you can get

You cannot improve your forecast any more.

Hope this is clear

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2018 at 12:36AM
    Options
    The top line should state "You can get your SP on dd mm yyyy. Your forecast is £xxx.xx". It should state "You need to continue to contribute to reach your forecast" and also give you an "Estimate based on your NI record up to April 2017" and a "Forecast if you contribute until April xxxx".
  • capital0ne
    Options
    You will get £195.55 the info is really confusing but just ignore the COPE amount
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would not be impossible to have achieved a full state pension in this scenario.

As at 6.4. 16 two calculations were done and your starting amount was the higher of the two.

£119.30 + (SERPS/S2P - deduction for contracting out).

£155.65 - COPE.

You have been contracted out for less than half of your working life so far so that it is not impossible that your SERPS/S2P was around £95 - if so, you would have achieved a full NSP even after the COD.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I *thought* that it was the case that I'd already qualified for the full SP although nice to have confirmation.

@molerat - yes, it says my forecast is for my birthday in 2029 and it doesn't say anything about further contributions. It does say "Estimate based on your NI record up to April 2017" - cheers

@capitalone - cheers also

@xylophone - thanks for the explanation, I was on an above average salary from 2002 until last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure