Claiming State Pension Online

Options
Hi all,

How far ahead of the date you wish to have payments start can you start the process online please? Does the online process have a section for you to state when you wish it to start? What are the stages in the process and how long lead time should I presume?

We plan to start the pensions on 6th April and both pensions are in deferral.

Thanks.

Comments

• uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2018 at 1:15AM
    Options
    Thanks for the link which I had read. I couldn't see the answer to my questions hence me posting them here.

If I missed them, could you please point me to where they are answered ?

Thanks.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can claim upto 4 months in advance before you want it to start, however deferral part is not done until after your start date (just in case there is any changes to interest rate). So your pension will be paid at the normal rate you would be entitled to, and they will look at your deferral period after the start date to ensure it is correct
  • mjmal51
    mjmal51 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2018 at 11:26AM
    Options
    To add to above post, you will receive the full amount due to you about 6-8 weeks after the start date and a lump sum for the period from start date to the full pension payment.
    I started my deferred pension 7th April last year and asked for weekly payment which is not an online option, you need to tell them you want this with a phone claim.
    Claiming online your first payment will be 4 weeks after the start date as it is paid 4 weeks in arrears with this method.
  • uk1
    Options
    Many thanks ....

There has been some posts in the past of delays hence that question about how long it was taking as against when you can apply.

MJM, did you take your pension on that specific date to coincide with a complete week to optimise or for some other reason I might consider?

Thanks again for the helpful responses.
  • uk1
    edited 10 January 2018 at 3:26PM
    Options
    deleted .........
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the link which I had read.

Did you not see the link to the form and notes which you could have read before using on line option?
  • uk1
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Did you not see the link to the form and notes which you could have read before using on line option?

Yes, I could have read it and did. I thought there might be differences between the printed and online form and there are.
  • mjmal51
    mjmal51 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January 2018 at 11:23AM
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »

MJM, did you take your pension on that specific date to coincide with a complete week to optimise or for some other reason I might consider?

I chose the date to be in the new tax year and the day of the week you are paid depends on the last 2 digits of your NI number - at least it did for those on old SP, not sure about the new one.
    7th was my payday.
  • uk1
    Options
    mjmal51 wrote: »
    I chose the date to be in the new tax year and the day of the week you are paid depends on the last 2 digits of your NI number - at least it did for those on old SP, not sure about the new one.
    7th was my payday.

Thanks,

I overlooked the pay day, and my memory is hazy, and couldn't remember whether on the old scheme they calculated the defferal amount daily or rounded down weekly. So to be safe and to completely maximise - I entered the start date as the first whole week from NRA after the 2018 tax year.

I completed two online applications at the same time and it was unnervingly straight forward and only took a few minutes. Somethrig must go wrong. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure