FF settlement on debt not default

Hi

I’m trying to clear my dmp, I have 2 defaulted debts and 3 that show as up to date but marked DM (debt management) all are with debt collection companies. If I offer and get accepted for a partial settlement, what happens with the 3 that aren’t defaulted? I know the defaulted ones would show as partially settled and drop off 6 yrs from default? But what would the others show as and for how long?
Would they show as partially settled for 6 yrs from the day I made the f and f?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,849 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    feekerry wrote: »
    Hi

I’m trying to clear my dmp, I have 2 defaulted debts and 3 that show as up to date but marked DM (debt management) all are with debt collection companies. If I offer and get accepted for a partial settlement, what happens with the 3 that aren’t defaulted? I know the defaulted ones would show as partially settled and drop off 6 yrs from default? But what would the others show as and for how long?
    Would they show as partially settled for 6 yrs from the day I made the f and f?

Yes partially settled, that’s correct.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • feekerry
    feekerry Posts: 76 Forumite
    In that case then would it appear better if the dm marked ones were settled in full? As they will show for 6 years from when I settle?
    Thanks
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi feekerry,

The debts will show for 6 years from the default date or settlement date if they have not defaulted. A partially settled debt can be positive and negative to a credit file. It shows that you settled the account (which is good) but that the account was not settled in full (which can be negative). It will not specify how much you paid and this can be an issue for future lenders.

Whilst fully settled debts would be more positive, I worry this may be hard to do in practice. You need to treat your debts fairly, if you don't this is known as a preference payment and if the debts that receive a partially settlement become aware that you have made a full settlement to other debts, they may refuse to negotiate going forward and/or become more aggressive in taking action.

If you can pay all of the debts in full then this would be best, but I appreciate that is not always achievable. Best of luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure