Extending my home for a Granny annex for ME!

I know there are other threads, and info on the web generally, about mortgages for Granny Annexes but they all seem to be aimed at the younger generation, and I haven't found information covering my own situation.

I own my property outright. I want to build an annex for myself so my daughter can move into the main house. I am retired with a healthy pension. I know a building society will, on the basis of my pension and age, lend me enough to build the annex at repayments that I can afford. BUT I don't know what their attitude would be to having my family living in the (extended) house with me. I know they perceive it as affecting their security because in the event of default on the mortgage and re-possession, they may face difficulties in getting the other occupants (2 adults and 4 children) out. I do not want to put the house in my daughter's name because it's my only asset and it will go on my death equally to her and my other children.

Just to confirm - I know about planning, and all my children are all absolutely in favour of the plan. They understand that she will be living her "rent free" for (hopefully) a good long while, but on the other hand she will be the one "lumbered" with my care in future years. She is very happy with that too, that is a central part of the plan. We are all entirely agreed on how the house will be dealt with in the event of my death.

It's just the mortgage thing I'm worried about. Does anyone have any information or personal experience?

Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport