Being added to a mortgage question

Options
I have an existing mortgage of my own and my partner and I are considering adding me to hers. What are the implications for my existing mortgage? i.e what do I need to tell my existing lender since my guess is that my primary home would be changing. Do they even need to be told? Thanks

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    will your income be sufficient to support both mortgages?
    who will be living in your current property when you move out?
  • johnscales
    Options
    Hi Caz3121.
    Yes, I am currently paying my mortgage already and she is currently paying hers. I will also be paying my half of the mortgage on the joint property if we persue joint ownership.
    My options for my existing property would then be to subsequently rent it out.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You will need to apply to your current lender for consent to let and the questions which you will need to answer about your future housing plans will be contained therein.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • johnscales
    Options
    Thanks Kingstreet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills