Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 8th Jan 18, 7:06 AM
    • 5,114Posts
    • 8,984Thanks
    wymondham
    Dancing on Ice (oh dear not them as well!)
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:06 AM
    Dancing on Ice (oh dear not them as well!) 8th Jan 18 at 7:06 AM
    Dancing on Ice is one of my favourite shows and was looking forward to it after the break, but unfortunately they have gone the way of XFactor.

Turn a 45 minute show into a 2 hour slog. Thanks heavens for our PVR. Removed the Ads, the odd interviews, the even odder voiceover guy, unnecessary chit chat, so it was just the skating, and it took just 45 mins of actual skating. Going on content alone it should be called 'Talking about skating'.

Having Torvill & Dean restricted to being sat behind a desk obviously unwilling to be critical was an odd change.

The skating bit was ok, although the contestants had obviously had much more training than previously as all were doing quite complicated manoeuvres on week 1!

I hope it improves next week as life is too short to pad it out with !!!!....
    Last edited by wymondham; 08-01-2018 at 7:17 AM.
Page 1
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th Jan 18, 7:26 AM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 4,324 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:26 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:26 AM
    Agreed - when will people realise that you really can have too much of a good thing?
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 8th Jan 18, 7:35 AM
    • 17,474 Posts
    • 36,251 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:35 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:35 AM
    Seems to be an ITV thing across the board these days. They managed to stretch 8 X 90 second auditions for The Voice into a 95 minute show with 5 ad breaks.
    “We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don't you?" "Why?” “It saves time.” - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • Up For Grabs
    • By Up For Grabs 8th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    Up For Grabs
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    What a yawn. Gave up after the second person skated. If the last time the programme was on is anything to go by in order to up the ratings Holly Willoughby will start wearing less clothes. Not my cup of tea but sure it would suit some!!
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 8th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 7,387 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    I did get irked by the ad break almost every 10 minutes. Also the camera kept zooming out for distance shots thus the viewer couldn't see the details of the skating!

I like that the pro skaters are now responsible for choreography & did think Torvill & Dean were critical, but fair.
    • £$&*"($£&(
    • By £$&*"($£&( 8th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 7,531 Thanks
    £$&*"($£&(
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    life is too short to pad it out with !!!!....
    Originally posted by wymondham
    Now you're getting it. I can arrange for some paint drying if you want something better to do.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 8th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 8,438 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    I didn't watch it. I don't like these dancing, singing, celebrity talent type things.
    But what I have noticed is that more and more programmes are "growing" to fill the schedule. Anything they think is / will be popular grows more.
    There seem to be various drama things where the actual story would fill an hour or so, but they get five or six episodes out of it.
    (And as an aside, do they actually make anything drama wise apart from yet another cop drama?)

I remember reading an article years ago. It was in some magazine or other, and the journalist had been to The States.
    He said about there being 200 channels of TV with nothing on any of them over there.
    It's the same here now.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 8th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 12,334 Posts
    • 16,642 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    I did get irked by the ad break almost every 10 minutes. Also the camera kept zooming out for distance shots thus the viewer couldn't see the details of the skating!

I like that the pro skaters are now responsible for choreography & did think Torvill & Dean were critical, but fair.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    So, ITV are starting to copy American TV - they have ad breaks about every 8-10 minutes (I've seen ad breaks about every 5 minutes on some news shows over there).
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 8th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 8,438 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    So, ITV are starting to copy American TV - they have ad breaks about every 8-10 minutes (I've seen ad breaks about every 5 minutes on some news shows over there).
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    Yes I'd noticed the ad breaks getting ever closer together on various TV shows.
    It'd be a good argument for having the BBC, if they actually made stuff I wanted to watch.
    The best thing I've seen recently from them is "The Detectorists" and that's ended.

I'm sick of the "Sport, sport, sport, sport, reality, sport" that most of the channels seem to churn out.
    • Vicky123
    • By Vicky123 8th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 9,006 Thanks
    Vicky123
    They should have just stuck with the original idea of having celebrities instead of just plain old reality nonsense. I don't watch a lot of TV but out of everything I have watched the last year or so this was the worse by a merry mile.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 5,211 Posts
    • 13,883 Thanks
    EachPenny
    It'd be a good argument for having the BBC, if they actually made stuff I wanted to watch.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    But the BBC just do the same, reminding you every 5 minutes what happened two minutes ago, and telling you what's coming up in the next five minutes. Then telling what to look forward to in the next episode, and how much you'd really enjoy watching this other BBC programme as well.

The only difference is the BBC get paid by the viewers for showing them adverts.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 8th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 12,334 Posts
    • 16,642 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Yes I'd noticed the ad breaks getting ever closer together on various TV shows.
    The best thing I've seen recently from them is "The Detectorists" and that's ended.

I'm sick of the "Sport, sport, sport, sport, reality, sport" that most of the channels seem to churn out.
    I'm glad I've got my YouTubes, reviewers, music and DVD box sets that I can turn to - I hardly watch broadcast TV anymore.

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 8th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 8,438 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    But the BBC just do the same, reminding you every 5 minutes what happened two minutes ago, and telling you what's coming up in the next five minutes. Then telling what to look forward to in the next episode, and how much you'd really enjoy watching this other BBC programme as well.

The only difference is the BBC get paid by the viewers for showing them adverts.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Yes it's annoying. Also why do the BBC have to play to the "populist" audience.
    They get paid up front don't they?
    I'm glad I've got my YouTubes, reviewers, music and DVD box sets that I can turn to - I hardly watch broadcast TV anymore.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    Same as we do more or less.
    Freeview has become dire in general.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 8th Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    • 12,334 Posts
    • 16,642 Thanks
    MothballsWallet

So do most of them I used to love watching documentaries on TV, but they've all started recapping from the start after every ad break ends.

Do they think we've got shorter memories than a goldfish?

• Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 8th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 17,474 Posts
    • 36,251 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum

I do wonder how the BBC can recap what has happened two minutes ago every 5 minutes without ad breaks. In the gaps between programs yes, a handy point to make a cuppa or something. Most of what I watch is recorded or on demand these days. Much easier to skip the dross on the BBC than the commercial channels, even worse for US made shows.
    “We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don't you?" "Why?” “It saves time.” - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 8th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    But the BBC just do the same, reminding you every 5 minutes what happened two minutes ago, and telling you what's coming up in the next five minutes.
    I do wonder how the BBC can recap what has happened two minutes ago every 5 minutes without ad breaks.
    Originally posted by Mrs Arcanum
    It's preparation for when the programmes get re-shown on a commercial channel such as Yesterday, Quest or Dave. Then you "need" those re-caps because of the advert breaks.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 5,211 Posts
    • 13,883 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Yes it's annoying. Also why do the BBC have to play to the "populist" audience.
    They get paid up front don't they?
    So they can justify their demands for money with menaces.... if the programmes weren't popular then the licence fee would be impossible to justify.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 8th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 8,438 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    So they can justify their demands for money with menaces.... if the programmes weren't popular then the licence fee would be impossible to justify.
    "Panem et circenses" of course.
    Keep them and their mates in their well paid jobs.
    No that I want the programs to be bad of course. They do make some good stuff.
    But is it just me that feels an awful lot of it is uninspired somehow.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 8th Jan 18, 10:51 PM
    • 17,474 Posts
    • 36,251 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    If they didn't make programs people wanted to watch, they would have even more cuts in funding. Just find it odd how people will willingly pay ££s each month to Sky, Virgin & suchlike and grumble about old BBC/ITV repeats, yet spend less on a TV Licence and watch more BBC produced content, whilst whinging about the cost.
    • venison
    • By venison 8th Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 2,310 Thanks
    venison
    DOI has had its day and they should have left it where it was resigned to TV history, although I have enjoyed it in the past I'll give it miss this time round.
    Ex Board Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,399Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin