Thin Rigid Board?

Can somebody come up with an idea for a piece of board 18"x42" - needs to be quite light so that I can easily move it around.

I want to cover it with felt to use as a jigsaw puzzle board for assembling a landscape jigsaw puzzle.

I've found something called binding board which seems to be the sort of rigidity I'll need but can't find the size. Also, anything I buy will need to come cut to size.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Can somebody come up with an idea for a piece of board 18"x42" - needs to be quite light so that I can easily move it around.

I want to cover it with felt to use as a jigsaw puzzle board for assembling a landscape jigsaw puzzle.

I've found something called binding board which seems to be the sort of rigidity I'll need but can't find the size. Also, anything I buy will need to come cut to size.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Mdf from your local hardware shop could be ok?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hardboard would seem the obvious candidate - and you wouldn't need to cover it with felt (unless you wanted to) if you assemble the jigsaw on the smooth side. Readily available from all DIY shops, which will be able to cut to size for you/deliver. Lightweight, cheap and durable.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,704 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ply is the best bet, maybe 9mm or thicker depending on the amount of flex - but you know you can buy ready made puzzle keepers on the likes of Amazon (I know that's not very MSE).
  • Binding board looks very similar to 1mm or 2mm thick Foamex board, which local signwriters will use. Correx board may be even cheaper.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lorian wrote: »
    Ply is the best bet, maybe 9mm or thicker depending on the amount of flex - but you know you can buy ready made puzzle keepers on the likes of Amazon (I know that's not very MSE).

Thanks. Yes, I do have a proper puzzle board but they only make rectangular boards at ridiculous prices.
  • LadyDee
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Mdf from your local hardware shop could be ok?

MDF is much too heavy.
  • LadyDee
    Thanks for your suggestions - my final choice will, I think, be governed by whether or not a supplier will cut to size.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,704 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 January 2018 at 6:39PM
    locally the only place that cuts to size is B&Q (no charge for several cuts, not sure the limit). Others may do but not where I live.

They have a massive laser-aligned cutter. Give them mm dimensions if you can.

You sometimes (always) need to be carefully picking your ply to get a nice flat piece, and personally I prefer pieces that have a nice finish side.

After its cut watch for tiny splinters - it will need sanding on all 4 edges to make it nice to the hand.
  • LadyDee
    Lorian wrote: »
    locally the only place that cuts to size is B&Q (no charge for several cuts, not sure the limit). Others may do but not where I live.

They have a massive laser-aligned cutter. Give them mm dimension not inches!

Sadly, no B&Q anywhere close. There is a Wickes and a Homebase though so I'll give them a ring tomorrow. I think hardboard will be just right.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 January 2018 at 8:22AM
    LadyDee wrote: »
    MDF is much too heavy.

Thats what I use, not heavy at all in the small size that you need although I think ply would be a lot lighter.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure