Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 22nd Dec 17, 11:01 AM
    • 14,999Posts
    • 99,048Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Time to mend and make do, beg, borrow and barter.
    • 22nd Dec 17, 11:01 AM
    Time to mend and make do, beg, borrow and barter. 22nd Dec 17 at 11:01 AM
    Hello lovely MSE angels.

I've been around for a while and know the small MSE ways lead to big changes in lifestyle. I'm so lucky I found you all when I did way back in the beginning of time!

I had started a new 'adventure' diary but this years events have shifted the focus from those for now to a bit more of a 'primal' focus on living very frugally, to accommodate unexpected and unavoidable shifts in expenses for the foreseeable.

As today is 'housekeeping budget day' I figured its a good a day as any to start this month afresh and try and move my mindset.

I have a fair bit of debt still but the main issues for me are pesky over drafts and a credit card which crept up whilst I was otherwise occupied. Its in the signature below.

This diary is to focus and hone my rusty MSE skills to the front and really live with what we have, make do with what we can, borrow or beg favours where needed, and barter ourselves where we can, there's no shame in asking for help once in a while!

We've two in our household both working f/t, plus two grown up flown the coup for now younglings - off adventuring (uni and gap year type shennanigans), a lovely DH, two pesky mutts (one quite unexpectedly terminally poorly) and a severe lack of chickens in our lives right now. Must sort that in the new year. My mother is quite poorly with an unexpected, terminal diagnosis, so I'm looking to juggle my very accommodating job with helping with her care and treatment.

We live well, but we could live a whole lot better with less, and support others more in the process.

Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 22-12-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£1000 , Cancelled
    Credit Card 1 = £0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/925
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek:
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925
Page 10
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 2nd Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 4,226 Posts
    • 47,169 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ay up sweetie

That is some snowdrift!!!!!

Was thinking of you this morning. A new album was being plugged on c1a$$1c fm - it's a-lun T1tchmarches new offering - his 'pomes' and Deb Wiseman's music. Anyway, the music for 'snowdrop' was lovely. Not too sure if you can hear it over Al's earnestly written and delivered 'pome', but it's here if you wunna take a ganders. Very nice piece of music/cello playing......

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 2nd Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2,180 Posts
    • 13,871 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Wow Pips - that is some proper snow!
    1.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Still working hard to keep up the good habits!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Mar 18, 3:04 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Its dire.
    Looks worse your way.
    Take care xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    & POA great.
    I did mine at the end of last year.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 3rd Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,048 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Aw thanks lovely folks.

GP how wonderful I did have a nosey - marvelous thank you! xx Keep warm with that little un. xx

RT whilst I appreciate this level of snow in your fine country - I do not like it at home as we're as you've discovered woefully set up for anything under than snow on the telly. Hope you're warm and cosy too. xx

Beanie I hope your side of the county is less drifty! Keep warm lovely lady.

Morning lands - a day of snowstorms again (Sigh, four days in, its a tad less fun). We've feasted on pancakes (yay to frozen MIL milk from xmas) and found some brambles I'd used to make cordial and froze the fruit - lush it was too combined with a packet of raspberry jelly - well we've not much in the way of sugar so its unlikely to actually be a preserve more of a wobbly compote. Had some on some yog too - lush indeed.

Its remarkable how your perspective changes when you can't actually physically get out of your village. I made a roast dinner last night (reduced frozen chicken, a mighty good freezer surf find) so we ate moderately from that and whilst usually I'd lob not one but TWO eggs in the yorkies, I made a half mix and froze the half we didn't need, only used one egg as we're down to 7 and eggs are useful things. *although I do have vegan egg replacement, might have a go at using that*

Same for the bread sauce, usually I'd willy-nilly put a whole onion in that and oodles of milk. This time nope half an onion and watered down milk with frozen crusts from the freezer.

Needs must dear hearts but in all seriousness, I dare ever have an empty cupboard, and whilst I'm careful, its out of frugality not necessity.

It has opened my eyes a bit, we could be so much better at frugal-ness than we are.

Well, food for thought indeed. Fires are on, clothes are bundled on and I'm supposed to be working tomorrow if I can get in, so might attempt to dig car out and move it around seems to be some movement in the village.

*An amazon driver just chapped at the door - in this weather. I guess they don't get paid if they don't deliver stuff - no snow ploughs but amazon drivers.

Wowsers.

Keep safe, off to check the banks and maybe don my big girl boots and dig out the car.
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 03-03-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that you can get your car dug out but take care xx

***Keep plodding***
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 3rd Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 13,282 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Stay warm and safe!

That's a crazy amount of snow

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 4th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,048 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hope that you can get your car dug out but take care xx
    Originally posted by beanielou
    We did huzzah!! and the farmers dug out the village so we ventured out yesterday afternoon and whilst there were no supplies just about ANYWHERE we did get a protractor which was much needed by the student. And at a good price

Stay warm and safe!

That's a crazy amount of snow

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Indeed I think its the most I've seen for about 10 years barring holidays - - hope you're good me dear.

Well dear hearts the siege has stopped and we even made it to work today. even if driving by 12ft snowdrift resembled iceberg central

HM meals - well been home for about 100million years so why wouldn't I.

Needless to say the garden was empty but we got lots done.

Hope you're all warm and cosy.

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 8,143 Posts
    • 40,190 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Glad you escaped Pippi! We escaped too although we haven't been *quite* as trapped as you as we did manage to walk 2 miles to the local shop on Friday rofl Today was the first day we managed to get the car out properly though - our lane was walls of icebergs and rather slidey but the main road to the village was actually clear we made it all the way to the town and had a celebratory trip to @ldi

Back to work for me tomorrow - urgh. Shouldn't complain, the snow gave me an extra two days off but now I just want to hang around pottering and having no idea what time it is rofl
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 5th Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Hey there Pippi, hope you have thawed! Glad you had adequate stores in. A good log-pile does give you a sense of security!

Greying thanks for the snowdrop poem link!

We even had a reasonable amount of snow, which was a headache for a friend getting married on Sat! Thankfully almost everyone managed to make it one way or another. Sadly the snow has all disappeared again by now - I was hoping it would last a bit longer so I could go out and play on my X-C skis again!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 8,143 Posts
    • 40,190 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning pippi and pals

Hope you're slowly thawing out Thought of you yesterday when we were showing some friends round our new pad and we discovered a patch of snowdrops behind a wall under a tree Most lovely
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that it is not snowing where you are again

***Keep plodding***
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 15th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,048 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hey up folks - sorry for being tardy - snows largely gone aside the giant piles of iceberg/mud mush that's in certain areas, although it is depleting.

Busy few days thanks for checking in that's so kind.

Have been paid and not done much in the way of money shuffling so best get on that.

Mid week day off for me today - in on different days over the weekend so we'll see how we fare.

So much washing/cooking/food shopping to catch up on. Whilst the stores are not empty or completely depleted we are running out of essential stuff and I need to make a list and either online shop or venture to the land of the consumers.

Fire in kitchen is on, so cosy in here where the washing is also lurking.

Ordered oil again (MY GOD THE PRICE) although its the first delivery since start January - which isn't great but then again I see last winter we ordered double in December and ordered again in March - so we're certainly down on usuage. Heating is off aside an occasional boost for an hour when we need it. But, the fires are keeping us cosy.

We have decided to get rid of the oil system this year and try and replace with a mix of solar/electric or something less smelly, erratically priced and doomsome for the environment. Any suggestions gratefully recieved, have looked at panels for electric only, (although we hardly use any and the feed in tariff is now badly supported) - and panels for water which is probably our best bet with a boost from electric.

Any suggestions on a post card please.

Off to tottle about the banks, put the kettle on and see what needs paying.

Toodalu the noo
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good to see you

***Keep plodding***
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 15th Mar 18, 11:10 AM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,048 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Good to see you
    hope you're wrapped up. Its so windy!

• Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 15th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,048 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Half way through the month and the wages are still looking resplendent - so I've paid an extra £250 to the card. Must check where the balance is with that.

Had a pesky £425 bill for the garage out of the wages - not good and seems oil is still leaking from the car - bit annoying taking that in today.

I'm currently NOT in either overdraft - so I'll see how we fare this month and the fees saved can also go to the card.

Not spent very much on food shopping tbh - we did buy some meat as a treat at the local food fayre but that was himselfs treats budget. Limited takeaways (although not none, we've had one) this month again so its not too bad. Although the cupboards are getting a bit squeaky.

Gas has lasted OK although I've three red bottles and one blue one - so might see if we can swap a red for a blue IYSWIM and then I'll be grand for swapping if we run out.

Council tax bill is in, sometimes I wish they'd do it over 12 months instead of 10 as its nice having a holiday from it but youchy when it lands again.

Phone and BB still sitting at £50/month - its way too expensive. Limited choice but might see if Uswitch can offer something better.

Petrol has been less with working and only two trips to the hospital. Also had DH car in garage so mine was used by him and he took me to work, so less miles for me.

Overall February, lol I mean MARCH hasn't been too bad for spends. But do need to top up some essential supplies.

Vet bills zero this month - and only used 12p/s worth of paraceatamol for himself.

Fuel for stoves I've bought a bit of peat and coal in with that bad weather - so spent about £32 there - but like I say heating has been largely off and we have hugely reduced our oil spend.

Hey ho.

Washing to hang up this end, deep joy.

Transfer to the charity branch of our work this month, looking forward to that I must say.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    hope you're wrapped up. Its so windy!

Originally posted by Pippilongstocking
    Yes, blowing some hoolie

***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    You can ask to have the council tax over 12 months I think pippi.

***Keep plodding***
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 15th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    carlislelass
    You can ask to have the council tax over 12 months I think pippi.
    Our council will do 12 mths
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 15th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,048 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Thanks for the info - much appreicated.

Well I spent £50.23 in HB on grub largely and household stuff but reckon that should top things up very nicely until we go to Canada.

Also spent 32 in the local farm shop on cheese, veg, beetroot, kindling, logs and peat - she threw a bin bag at me and said fill up from our delivery logs some hard wood and some soft wood to try if you like it buy some! So also got 12 free logs. Huzzah. Prices for large tonne bags were quite good so we'll see and they deliver for free.

Nothing much in the way of bargains although did get some morning rolls for £1.02 for 10 as it was the afternoon.

Topped up the fish supplies at the fishmonger £11 spent but many teas from that.

Supplies are replinshed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin