Time to mend and make do, beg, borrow and barter.

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad all went ok.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Glad all went ok.
    :A thanks.
    Glad your Mum's treatment went well. And sure both staff and patients will enjoy the goodies you've left them.

Have a good weekend.

Thank you, I just think don't only do their jobs incredibly well, but its the kind words, acts of compassion, and smiling right through to their eyes into their hearts, its very humbling. :A
    Glad to hear treatment is going ok for your wee mither (was thinking of you both).
    (((((HUGS)))))
    :A

Thanks Mr USC - much appreciated hope the uber clean without watir goes well...........

In work today and having a late lunch. I've man handled more snowdrops than I care to say today - but the little cheerful things are waking up so who am I to argue with they prolificness.

Senior hound slumbering at home, Junior terrorising snowdrops and the woods surrounding them with great gusto at the moment.

Need to get petrol later, had store pate on oatcakes for lunch and that was yum, brekkie coconut porridge again - I'm a fickle creature.

Was panickign as had a snuffly nose and a bit of a sore throat day after treatment but seems to be nothing as of yet. Here's hoping.

Have a good un!

:A
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...brekkie coconut porridge again...

That sounds interesting Pips - how do you make it? We love coconut in these parts!

You would have laughed at OH earlier moaning that there was naught but eggs in the house to eat...

...store cupboard and freezer full of bits...

SIGH

...rustled up some tortellini, pesto, shredded cabbage & shredded beef...

...ooo this is nice he says...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

xox happy snowdropping!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2018 at 8:06PM
    Options
    HA! DH insists we have only INGREDIENTS in this house, and no food.

Sounds lush at yours by the way. :D

Coconut porridge is very simple tbh - mix 1/4 cup coconut with 200-300ml water to cover the oats, micro for 1-1.5 mins on full, stir in one teaspoon-dessertspoon coconut powder I find a teaspoon plenty for me but some days I like it a bit creamier. Serve, I don't like sweet stuff so it works for me. I guess you can sub the water for coconut milk (tin or carton), I like the maggi brand dried coconut milk, its expensive for the pack but you do get 30 portions in it which is pretty realistic, if not more so, so I'd say its a storecupboard staple for me.

I do sometimes make rice pudding with it too - LUSH.

Hope you're tucked up and cosy.

Tea here was GP inspired and UFM orchestrated. We had some cod in the freezer, tatties in the fridge so we ended up with fish and chips - I just fancied it after all the chat and we had none in boxes (I was weeping when I rifled and found nowt) and trying to curb the takeaways - so improvised.

Anyhows so I don't use the wok often for deep frying, so it was a cook one bit oven it, cook the next bit - serve both bits, serve the next person. I'm hardly organsied - but it worked after a fashion - himself ate (huzzah) and we used up fish from the freezer.

Double Huzzah.

Work was pretty nice, sundays' are a nice day with lots famlies. Rearranged a big display to coax folks into buying a wee cheeky plant to go home, a tad ironic given my resolution to spend less in life. But, its my job amoung other things.

Spends today - petrol £20 more meds for himself £3.69

Nowt much else planned for today - clothes ready for tomorrow - mutts happy and himself seems to be on the mend.

Off to read up UFM *uber frugal month* posts
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Pips the Food Programme on R4 at lunchtime was DEVOTED to Porridge! I only heard a small portion of it, but Levi Roots was making Carribean style - although he didn't make it with cornmeal, which I thought kinda missed the point. Then there were two other lasses making it - I'm assuming that one was of Scandi origin, as she talked about making Rye bread porridge. I didn't hear beyond them beginning to make their versions, missed the start and don't know what the tasting brought forth. But thought it may be of interest if you're plugged into downloads or i-player.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • troglodyte
    Options
    Glad to hear all is going as well as can be expected with the treatment so far, OH is on the mend, hounds are OK and you're enjoying snowdrop work. Hope the week continues in the same vein!
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Greying thank you I'll download that for later - although why I'm awake now I've no idea. Much appreciated. TYVM (Ta Very Much) And Trog thank you me dear - hope you and yours are grand. I always get excited at this time of year when its in full flow, its a bit full on but grand fun.

Read more of UFM - the day before was about finances and I'm not quite there yet but I'll get my head around it all. Today was all about food waste (subject close to me heart as we know)

So UFM - Mrs Frugalwoods has these tips.

Only buy what you will legitimately consume in one week’s time (assuming you grocery shop weekly). Count the number of bananas you buy if that’ll help.

Eat everything you buy. Freeze any leftovers you don’t want to eat this week.

Do not succumb to take-out. You’ve purchased groceries, now eat them.

Plan ahead and don’t buy ingredients for ridiculously complex meals that you won’t have the energy to prepare. Nobody’s judging if you eat cheese and olives for dinner (we do it all the time!). Or cereal. Or hummus. It's all good.

If your weekdays are crazy busy, plan ahead and cook your entire week’s meals on Sunday and pop ‘em in the fridge or freezer.

We do a bit of this already but could be better at it. For me the reduced section really populates what we eat rather than going in with a proper list (for fresh stuff anyways) - I don't think I've done a weekly shop in I don't know how long, feels like forever, I'm more of a toppy-up kinda gal, stores are pretty hearty, I just need to 'eat more of it, prob buy a bit less of it' - which I struggle with, as who knows when the last yellow stickered item will turn up. Its about balance I guess. Having a much smaller freezer has helped hone the mind a bit I must say, although the temptation to get another one is high, I'm not sure we really need it only being us twa in the hoose thesedays. I'd have it filled in a heart beat, which is hardly the point is it?

Food for thought.

It appears, I went to bed too early. Whoops.
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2018 at 4:51AM
    Options
    My handy wee spend app says I've £150.87 left of my household/grocery budget must check that out, I moved £200 into that budget at start of month (housekeeping minus cleaner etc, £100 still in bank for that lot) - which means with 30 gas which I messed up and is now out of the correct budget line, lol one day I'll get all this stuff right, so we've spent 50.13 on a few bits of grub/medicine/flu stuff. Largely comfort extras on top of meds, etc but there is actual food in there.

I however have noticed this weeks meals have largely contained potatoes or cheese or both. Comfort eating indeed :D there are other veg and fruit in there, so we won't get scurvy.

Petrol spends £20+ £25 + £? must check up, smaller car certainly uses so much less petrol. And we've galavanted out and about, to himself's mothers, and my mothers and work.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Mmm, potatoes and cheese :j

We mostly do top up shops populated by the reduced section too :D mind you I also eat bran flakes for dinner quite a lot.. :o :rotfl: Mr Cheery likes to run down the stores to nothing and get inventive which is fine while we live near a shop but which may need a rethink when we move to the moddle of nowhere. Definitely getting a big freezer and filling it full of goodies! :j
  • troglodyte
    Options
    Thank you GP I just listened to the Food Programme
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09kx846
    it was interesting and the recipes are on the page if anyone wants to try. I might give it a go; I've always felt I should like porridge - it's so cheap and healthy and versatile and sustaining - but somehow have never been that keen. The only time I've eaten it with alacrity is at dawn just before a dive trip in Oban in February.

Still working through freezer and cupboard stores; last night was pork chops with aubergine and teriyaki sauce (made the sauce from stores rather than buy ready-made) served with quinoa and bulgar wheat mix, followed by spiced pears (friend gave me a carrier-bag full about a month back). Tonight I think will be salmon, noodles and stir-fry carrots and courgette, followed by a treat of yellow-stickered profiteroles! Tomorrow Big One has a friend coming over so I think it will be beef quesadillas then fruit sponge.

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start. Pippi our snowdrops are just opening and I think of you every time I walk past!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure