Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Vendee
    • By Vendee 7th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    • 167Posts
    • 53Thanks
    Postponing DC lump sum
    • #1
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    Postponing DC lump sum 7th Dec 17 at 9:46 PM
    If I take the maximum tax free lump sum (65% in my case) from a DC pension which is linked to a DB pension, can I defer taking the remaining 35% until the next tax year when I can use quite a bit of my personal tax allowance against it?

Page 1
    • IanSt
    • By IanSt 8th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    • #2
    • 8th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    • #2
    • 8th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    I can't see why not - provided of course that your scheme administrator will allow you to split the payments over the two years.

    I've assumed here that you've made sure that it makes financial sense take the final 35% in one go and take the tax hit.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 8th Dec 17, 10:07 AM
    • 9,387 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    • #3
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:07 AM
    • #3
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:07 AM
    If you held a simple DC pension in principle you could take the tax free lump sum in multiple tranches. In practice this may not be possible within the rules of the scheme and you would have to transfer the pension elsewhere.

    I assume in your case that 25% of the 65% TFLS derives from the DC part of the pension and the remaining 40% is generated by the DB pension. Transferring the DC part of the pension elsewhere presumably wouldn't work as you would lose the linkage to the DB pension. So you definitely need to talk to your pension administrators to find out if what you want to do is possible.
    • Vendee
    • By Vendee 8th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    • #4
    • 8th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • #4
    • 8th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    Thanks for your answers. I did contact the pension administrators a couple of days ago but the chap I spoke to was unsure. He said he would take advice and write to me within 5 working days. I was just trying to get a heads up on what the answer might be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,087Posts Today

5,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin