working away from home wots my rights

Options
hi all .first post so be gentle lol.
I work away from home all the time and won't to no if I have any rights .I've had to buy a caravan as I was expected to sleep in a bivvy (tent) .is there any way I can claim any of the money back .
My contract says 38 hours a week with the odd Saturday but the boss now says we gotta work 45 hours as it wot the eu says and the 38 hours was a mistake .
do thay have to give me a evening meal .
and last I use my van to get to work and home sometime toe other caravans to next site thay will put fuel in then bit am I entitled to help with fuel costs .I spending close to £250 a month. thanks guys

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    No you can't claim the money back. What kind of job requires a tent (or a caravan) and why can't you live in your usual home? I don't know what the EU had to do with your working hours, but up to 48 hours, provided you are paid the national minimum/ living wage, is quite acceptable in UK law. Your fuel costs to get to and from work are your responsibility. As are your meals.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    tompie71 wrote: »
    hi all .first post so be gentle lol.
    I work away from home all the time and won't to no if I have any rights .I've had to buy a caravan as I was expected to sleep in a bivvy (tent) .is there any way I can claim any of the money back .
    My contract says 38 hours a week with the odd Saturday but the boss now says we gotta work 45 hours as it wot the eu says and the 38 hours was a mistake .
    do thay have to give me a evening meal .
    and last I use my van to get to work and home sometime toe other caravans to next site thay will put fuel in then bit am I entitled to help with fuel costs .I spending close to £250 a month. thanks guys

Goodness.

I've heard of some random stuff being blamed on the EU, but forcing you to work more hours reaches even deeper levels of ridiculousness.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What job is it? ( I have no useful advice, I'm just curious.)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where do you park your caravan whilst working/ sleeping overnight? Why are you not planning to claim for those costs too?

Presumably you'd have dinner at home? Why do you want it paid for when most caravans have cooking facilities built in?

(I can guess the answer to all these questions - I'm just surprised so many people are taking you at face value)
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    Where do you park your caravan whilst working/ sleeping overnight? Why are you not planning to claim for those costs too?

Presumably you'd have dinner at home? Why do you want it paid for when most caravans have cooking facilities built in?

(I can guess the answer to all these questions - I'm just surprised so many people are taking you at face value)
    We aren't. Just giving the benefit of the doubt.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know teachers are always whinging about their pay & conditions, but I didn't think it was that bad!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    All my past employers have paid for hotels if they have required staff to work away or attend something which isn't in reasonable travel distance. And they pay travel expenses e.g train ticket or mileage.

Don't know what your job is, but if I was told I had to drive 200 miles to a meeting and then stay in a tent I'd tell them to jog on.
  • tompie71
    Options
    fencer and I never in on place longer then a month
  • tompie71
    Options
    on site were we working mate
  • tompie71
    Options
    I buy shopping for the week and cook .but all other jobs I've had that I worked away I got a evening meal .and why u think I am taking the p**s
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure