How to stop the same cheque going round and round every year

Options
We have a relative that we never see. Every year she sends us a cheque for £30. We do likewise. It is my husband's relative, so I don't have that much involvement, but nor does he, to be honest.
How do we bring this to an end. It's crazy.

Comments

• Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's not a lot to go on. Does she live near? Are there any other relatives near her? Can you ring her and suggest just cards. Can you pop in and make her day? Exchanging cheques for the same amount is just insane.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Wait until you get the cheque from her, then endorse it on the back and return it to her. She can pay it into her own bank account then :-)

Or bank the cheque for £30 but surprise her with a nice bouquet of flowers by post (you should be able to get one for £15, so you'll make a good profit on the deal)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Newly_retired
    Options
    She lives many miles away and is not in good health.
    I think the flowers are a good idea. Thanks. Now to persuade DH, who doesn't do flowers.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Now to persuade DH, who doesn't do flowers.

He doesn't have to "do" flowers, he can order them online. No different from buying a nice toolkit from Screwfix.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can get flowers with chocolates tucked in beside them.

Or a plant instead of flowers.

e careful who you order from. A local florist, if you can find one online or yellow pages, means fresher flowers and often do local deliveries.

I have had a few deliveries of Marks & Spencer flowers which were good.

Have also had flowers from Flying Flowers which were also good.
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Options
    Exchanging cheques for the same amount is just insane.

Instead of making it £30, why not make it £300 ;)

This is the total hypocricy of Christmas though, people either just give each other the same amount of money, or spend the same amount each on unwanted gifts for each other.
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    I have a 97 year old aunt who is pretty much house-bound, We send her a 'hamper' each year. This year it had a bag of Cadbury Roses, honey, marmalade, jam and a Northumbrian calander (she was born in Newcastle, but moved down south on her 20s). In previous years my Mam has crotcheted blankets for her. Get creative!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure