Loan advice!

Options
Hi everyone,

So I'm looking for some help with getting a loan...

I'm 20 years old and looking for a £10k loan to purchase a new car and I want a budget of no more than £180 per month.

I've applied for quite a few and been accepted but with a revised interest rate in which I then don't got through with it because it shoots up the monthly repayments. I don't want to continue applying because I know this will kill my credit file but getting a loan is cheaper and more reasonable for me as opposed to doing a finance option with a dealer.

Would really appreciate any advice???

Thank you!

Comments

• HappyLassie13
    Options
    Do you really need to spend 10K on a car?

Is there not a cheaper alternative for you rather than getting yourself into that much debt at a young age?

Not trying to be rude, so please don't take it that way.
  • ashlear3
    Options
    I suppose I don't need to but I think to myself that these are the sort of things is the reason I work hard!

I've had my sights set on a new car for a while and just looking for some advise!
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    Obvious advice would be don't do it...

I did the same when I was younger and looking back now it was the biggest waste of money I ever made.

Had the car little over a year, it got written off in a supermarket car park accident while I wasn't even in the car and I was offered a fraction of what I paid for it.

Save money and buy a decent car outright for half that price while putting the other 5k and the money saved in interest and insurance payments away for something else.

Cars are nothing but a way to fritter money away.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The things you work hard for are the things you save up for, not bought on credit. So if you really want 10k car, save every penny you can, don't go out, don't eat out, and in some months you can buy this dream car of yours for cash. That is if, when having 10k gbp in your bank account, and seeing all the sacrifice it did cost you will still want it instead of something used for 2-3k.
  • ashlear3
    Options
    Thank you for all the advise so far! I'm just trying to think of the cost in the long run... It's hard to know what would be more worth it...

Interest on a loan can be so variable but then again so can the interest on car finance and then there's also the deposit and insurance etc.

Ideally I don't want to dip into my savings :/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 4:42PM
    Options
    New as in brand new or new as in fairly new? Personally I'd look at 2 years old at the newest. If you are considering buying brand new check out the price of a 2 year old one of that car and you'll see why.
    Ideally I don't want to dip into my savings :/
    If the interest on the loan is more than the interest on your savings then you're better using your savings (still leaving an emergency fund) as you'll be better off, rebuilding them with what you would have paid in monthly payments on a loan.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't you want to use your savings?
  • ashlear3
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 9:47PM
    Options
    You can save money by going nearly new, would mean less amount would be needed so maybe a less monthly payment.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    LisaSP wrote: »
    At 20 years old, be thankful you were even accepted for the credit product, even with the revised interest rate.

Believe it or not, premier interest rates need to be earned, they are not an entitlement. You need to take what you are given, or you will end up with nothing at all.

If you keep filling out applications, you'll end up being declined with everyone for looking desperate on your credit file's credit application search record.

From a senior to a 20 year old minor... live within your means and earn your way to a low interest deal and start from the bottom.. you are subprime status and need to get used it.

Are you seriously giving financial advice when you posted you borrowed £1200 from a loan shark and didn't know the APR?? Hmmm, where is that Troll spray?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure